Dilema with new job guys! - help needed

Options
I've just started my new job - its part time and I've been given my timetable for everyday.
I get in at 7.45 - so that will mean breakfast at 7ish.
My break is at 10.50am-11.05am. I am then back in the classroom from 11.10-1.30.
It is then home time.
You see my dilema, I am usually hungry every few hours anyway so in my break I will need a lunch/brunch type food to keep me going until I get home which won't be until 2pm or thereabouts.
I am worried that because I haven't got strict lunch timings that I will end up snacking on my way home because I'm hungy i.e. sausage rolls etc.
Any ideas for my 15 min mid morning break that will keep me going until my lunch at 2pm?

Replies

• jenfidge
    jenfidge Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    also does anyone have any tips for suppressing hunger during the day?
    I get shaky/light headed if I don't eat every few hours - I was thinking lucozade tablets or is that too much?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd switch it around.

Eat your lunch at 10:50 and have a snack on the way home at 2PM.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'd go with proteins if you can.
    String cheese and a hard boiled egg, cherry tomatoes.
    Or apple slices with peanut butter.
    Yogurt with fresh fruit.
    A peanut butter and jam sandwich (whole wheat sandwich thins are the best and only 100 cal)
    Ham roll-ups -slice of ham rolled around cucumber wedges with mustard, even cheese.

These are all simple quick fixes that you can set up ahead and take with you. in a lunch cooler.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Keep a protein bar in your pocket and just eat a few bites throughout the morning. Pack a healthy snack to keep in your car so you have something healthy to munch on during the ride home.
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    Tuna or Salmon pouches. I often put Tuna in a seal-able bowl along with a tsp of salsa and will eat that in a tortilla. Pack that in a cooler with some yogurt and you have a quick under 10 minute snack that is high in protein and good for you. Maybe throw in a tomato and carrots.
  • Lankylass1969
    Options
    Spread your food out so that your usual lunchtime calories are split between breaktime and when you finish work. I work in a school and once I'm back in the class I'm usually too busy to think about food. Good luck
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein will keep you full. Also, lots of water. If you really want to lose weight/feel better, you will find a way to do it that does not include stopping for sausage rolls. Pack healthy snacks like nuts, grilled chicken strips, beef jerky, boiled eggs, something substantial that will keep you away from the drive thru. You're working hard for this, don't let convenience sidetrack you.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Protein, Veg, humous etc. Keeps you fuller for longer
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I second the swap lunch and snack. Or you could get a bottle and some protein powder (I loves me some chocolate) and have that during your snack. Just put 6-8oz water then a scoop of protein powder--should hold you over until lunch proper. Or pack preprepared snacks, like veggies and apple and some string cheese, small sandwich, fruit, cup of soup, salad, hard boiled egg, an oz or two of nuts (almonds are great!)... I could go on and on.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Are you also fairly new to the site? The whole 'I may grab a sausage roll on my way home' is not a great way to think or know you are capable of. To get the sausage roll you must enter a shop and buy it... if you enter said shop buy an apple or a banana or both. There are plenty of other things in shops other than sausage rolls... unless you go in a pastry shop... in which case just walk past the pastry shop.

Have healthy foods ready to go and make sure you have a proper lunch that means you won't be hungry. You can beat the hunger, you are in control of it, it is not in control of you.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I think 4 hours between meals is perfectly fine, breakfast at 7, lunch at 11, snack afterwards
  • itskimmers
    itskimmers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I take psyllium husk in the morning, I'm not really hungry until night time. Be sure to pack a protein rich snack, like a Greek yougurt, a salmon burger, cheese. Bring along a snack to eat on the way home too, such as a little baggie of almonds or apple slices. If you MUST hit the drive through, get a beverage instead. I usually will get an iced tea or a small non-fat latte.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I would just eat my lunch and snack later; are you able to keep almonds or an apple near by?
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I eat 100 calorie pop corn
    I put in a baggie then snack on it when need be
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with some chia seeds mixed in. I eat mine about 7 Am and not really hungry again till about 11:30-12:00.
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of low sodium chicken broth to keep me from chewing my arm off. I am not sure if will help you or not to control hunger. It does help me, I think because it is warm and reminds me of chicken noodle soup. good luck.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Soup. Get a thermos and put a can of Progresso soup in it. As said earlier, eat more on your break. Snack on healthy protein bars. Try beef jerky. Protein, protein, protein. Carbs satisfy you at first but then you get hungry more quickly afterwards than you do with protein.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The 10:45 lunch sounds like a good idea, but 15 minutes is not really enough time IMHO.

I would suggest a meal replacement bar, like Special K protein bar or Atkins/Slimfast etc type bar. I eat the Special K bars for breakfast, and it's only 160 calories, 10g protein, 5 grams of fiber and they keep me full until my lunchtime at work. Low enough cal you can eat it and still have cals for later and not feel guilty.

Also, try something filling for breakfast like oatmeal or the meal bars and then you might only need a light snack at your break.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would eat a good balanced breakfast before work. Protein/carbs. Eat your lunch at break time. Make sure it's high on protein and fiber. Eat your snack on your way home and then eat your dinner. Keep on hand some all natural protein bars. I love the Thinkthin ones. Or a protein shake. I don't drink those so I can't recommend any. Sip on green tea throughout the day and drink lots of water.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    that is basically my eating schedule, I have bfast at 7 am, lunch at 11 am, snack at 3 pm, dinner at 6 to 7 pm, after dinner snack around 8 or 9 bedtime at 11 pm

bfast is usally an english muffin with tbsp of peanut butter and a serving of cereal

Lunch a sammwich, bag of baked lays (small bag), and half an apple

Snack is a protein bar and a yogurt (the atkins ones have a good amount of protein and fiber and will keep you full as does supreme protein)

Dinner whatever I have changes day to day

After dinner snack is whatever I can fit in and stay under calories