Great bag lunch ideas

Options
I like to make big batches of food for the week, like split pea soup, chicken dumpling soup, and bean hotdishes. There are so many times that I run out of leftovers that I am at a loss as to what to bring in a bag lunch. What do you normally pack? What are some good recipes that last throughout the week? What foods do you use when there are no leftovers?

Replies

• Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    carrot chips and peanut butter
    greek yogurt and apple
    tuna pack with frozen mac & cheese with broccoli
    tuna pack mixed with dill relish on toast *toast at work* w/slice of pepper jack cheese melt
  • michellesburden
    Options
    Keep fresh fruit(I take apples or grapes) and nuts to nibble on throughout the day. Nothing to heavy though, or I feel
    sleepy. Low-fat cheeses, hum(mus with crackers, and fresh veggies like celery and carrots(I need that crunch to replace the chips need) are great ideas too. Keep it simple!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    when I don't have any leftover dinners (which is most of the time lol) I bring a sandwich. Boring, I know. I really need to start cooking a lot at dinner time and then taking that with me to work.
  • befitbre
    befitbre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a veggie roast (eggplant, turnips, potatoes, onions, garlic, really anything) with quinoa. It's pretty simple, but you have to remember that the veggies will bake down.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I make my own tuna salad or chicken salad. I eat it on its own or wrapped in low-carb tortillas.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I try to make batches too, or make double for dinner and take the leftovers. But I also keep stuff under my desk at work for emergencies. Things like:

Tinned tuna
    Tinned bean salad
    Porridge oat sachets
    Miso soup sachets
    Ready-to-eat grains and pulses (don't know if you have them where you live but I love these: http://www.merchant-gourmet.com/products/cereals-grains/ and these: http://www.merchant-gourmet.com/products/lentils/)
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    ccc
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When there are no leftovers, my go to lunch is a wrap. I like Flat Out brand wraps but any high fiber wrap or tortilla will do. Most are not lower in calories than thin sandwich bread but I prefer wraps because I can stuff 1 - 1.5 cups of dark leafy greens in with the other sandwich contents.

In fact, I have such a wrap for lunch today. It's stuffed with 3 T hummus, 1.25 C raw spinach, 1/3 C flat leaf parsly, and a few slices of onion, tomato and green pepper. Delicious, filling and less than 300 calories.

Other non-leftover lunches I like are - cottage cheese and fresh tomato on a bed of dark greens, peanut butter with carrot, celery or apple slices, hummus with apple slices or whole grain crackers.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    pistacchios and cottage cheese
    string chhese and apple
    iced coffee and yogurt with puffed rice
    try to keep around 40 carb max, I'm diabetic
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Most days in lunch box:

Turkey/Mustard/Wheat Bread Sandwich
    Banana
    Greek Yogurt (Preferably Banana/Strawberry)
    String Cheese
    Homemade Protein Bars (only for days when I'm "starving" for whatever reason or we hit the gym after work and I need to eat something)

At my desk for "grazing" or need chocolate fix:

Tropical Trail Mix
    Fiber One 90 cal Brownies

After workout or meal replacement shake if needed (also kept at desk with personal cup blender):

Whey Protein Powder
    Peanut Butter
    Honey

Not the most exciting but it gets me through quite well most days. There's always plenty of food that I can eat without having to hit the vending machine. The Tropical Trail Mix is already pre-portioned the weekend before I bring it so I know how much I'm eating and it's not just mindless grazing. I switch up the sandwich with ham upon occasion, but it tends to have a much higher sodium content so it's not too often.

Leftovers from dinner normally go to my wife for the next days or my son will find his way to the fridge and eat everything.

My wife does make a fantastic chicken soup that I take upon occasion:

ChickenSoup.jpg

Serving should be about 4oz chicken breast and 2 cups of broth/veg. soup.

Just toss in a crock pot and leave it alone for most of the day or over night with about a gallon of water and whatever seasoning you deem fit, dish out the servings when done for the week, place in fridge. Heat and eat at lunch time.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    yogurt
    string cheese
    carrots and hummus
    pita chips
    wheat thins
    tuna to go cups
    oranges
    grapes
    apple with peanut butter