swimming

Options
Does anyone know how many caloires you can burn my swimming.
I realy want to use this as weekly form of exercise but the list on here does not have anything listed under swimming.

please help xxxx

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I doubt there is an established/agreed upon workload for swimming, so it's almost impossible to answer this.

I don't understand the second part of your post though... why can't you use MFP's estimate for cals burned when swimming?
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There's quite a few options of swimming under exercise, cardiovascular.
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's quite a few options of swimming under exercise, cardiovascular.

yeah ^^^
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find that "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort" gives a reasonable estimate if the time I enter here is the time spent actually swimming the laps, ie if I do not count any time spent resting between laps.

And by reasonable I mean close to the estimate on my Swimovate Poolmate
  • tywayne7513
    Options
    not sure.....swim 3 times a week and a lot of calories being burned
  • Neabear
    Neabear Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I swim the breast stroke and have worked myself up to 20 laps in a 25 yard pool. Also I have increased the speed therefore swimming the 20 laps in under 18 minutes instead of over 19 minutes. However when you enter it in the exercise portion, the shorter time shows fewer calories burned. I know it has to be more calories burned since I am swimming faster. How can the increased speed be reflected as increased calories burned?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There are numerous swimming calorie burned calculators out there. The problem is that swimming is very form dependent. So someone like me with horrible swimming form probably burns far more calories than the competitive swimmers used to in the experiments that determined calories burned.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sat 09/08/12 09:54 PM
    There are numerous swimming calorie burned calculators out there. The problem is that swimming is very form dependent. So someone like me with horrible swimming form probably burns far more calories than the competitive swimmers used to in the experiments that determined calories burned.

This is apparently true, the better your swimming technique, the fewer calories you burn. And, it seems the more fat you have, the more you float so the less calories you burn.

Doesn't seem very fair really.