Calorie Confusion

Options
I have my daily activity set to 'lightly active' since I'm a teacher and stand/walk all day. It says that I burn 2200ish calories in normal daily activity, so it sets my daily calorie target around 1200 to have the 1000 calorie deficit needed for a 2 lb. loss each week.

However, I wore my HRM all day today, and from getting dressed at about 6:00 until dinner time (6:30), I've already burned 3000+ calories. This has been a normal day, I haven't worked out yet, so nothing out of the normal daily grind.

I plan to continue to wear the HRM daily at least to see if this trend continues. If it does, should I adjust my calories accordingly? I don't want to inadvertently put my body into starvation mode by burning too much compared to what I'm eating...

PS-I already played with changing the level of daily activity, and even for 'very active' it had a normal daily burn of 2800 calories, I think.

Any opinion/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Seeing that your HRM is more accurate I would "listen" to it. But I don't think it would hurt to wear it a few more times to get an average of your calories burned, then adjust MFP to that!!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think you are putting too much into it. You should change your settings to one pound a week. Relax, work out, eat our calories and you will loose.........:)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think you are putting too much into it. You should change your settings to one pound a week. Relax, work out, eat our calories and you will loose.........:)

Normally I'd be fine with 1 lb. per week, but we're going on a cruise this summer, so I'm trying to reach my goal by then. Whatever I lose will be fine, but I'm trying my best to meet a goal.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I'm a substitute teacher and the difference between working and not is amazing.

Anyhoo, I would wear the HRM (chest strap?) for a week and use your typical number to adjust your MFP goals.
  • emily859
    Options
    I think the main thing that would help you sort this out is to honor your body's natural feelings of hunger and fullness, rather than focus on the straight numeric calculation of it all. Of course, keep it all in mind, but if you are making healthy, nutritious selections for your meals and snacks, and you are eating when you are feeling a little hungry until you are satisfied (not overly full or still wanting more) I think you will avoid the starvation mode while still being able to keep a good caloric deficit to help you reach your 2 lb. a week loss goal.

That's what I've been doing... I'm trying to lose 1/week and I've not been on here a whole week yet, but I feel fantastic. I eat when I'm hungry and I feel very satisfied, even though I've not been eating all of my "extra" calories after workouts. Good luck! :)
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    I just got a Sportline HRM from Walmart, no chest strap. I am constantly pushing that little button to get current HR so I think I'm checking enough to be accurate. I am "burning" more than MFP calculates but I take it with a grain of salt(damn the salt btw...that's another post all together!). Based on MFP , other websites and the HRM , I feel safe taking an average. I really think that perhaps the reason I am not losing despite sticking to my calorie "goal" set by MFP and cranking up the exercise is I am not taking in enough calories right now. This site has really made me realize how many calories I was taking in before I started tracking!!!! I just don't even want to know! I am not going to change my goals b/c I think I will adjust. Plus a little side note is I have a seasonal job merchandising plants and obviously I am not working nearly as hard as I do March-October. I cant wait to see what the HRM says in a month when I am working 10 hour days pulling 100lb carts full of plants!!! The reason I got fat is all the yummy Coronas after a long hot day!!!:drinker:
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    Sorry for the rant...so in short take an average of several sources.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For the 1,000th time: HRMs do not measure calories--they measure heart rate. HRMs are only as accurate as they are when heart rate accurately reflects whatever level of oxygen uptake is occurring at any given moment.

At heart rates below 90bpm a lot more variables come into play--stress, changes in posture, etc, that affect HR independent of energy expenditure. Many watches do not monitor energy expenditure at these HR levels, but just continue to count calories at a low-level exercise rate.

Another important factor is the sophistication of the technology used to interpret the HR signals. Each manufacturer develops their own equations and algorithms. It stands to reason that a HRM made by Suunto or Polar who have been using proprietary technology and doing research for years is going to be a lot more sophisticated and accurate than some cheap knockoff. And even within the Polar and Suunto families, the most sophisticated technology (R-R interval recording) is reserved for the top models.

And, finally, even with the better technology and more expensive materials, there is still some notable variance among individuals, even when the avg accuracy is fairly good.

The equations used by MFP to predict resting energy expenditure are not perfect, but they are based on formulas that are well established. IMO, they will be much more consistently reliable that almost all HRMs.
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    :grumble:
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, also, and I have thought about doing this several times! I just haven't actually done it yet. I'm losing at a good, steady pace, and am only 2 pounds from my original end-of-school goal (I readjusted my goal when I got within about 7 pounds!). I DID wear mine to bed one night. WOW! I burned 90% of my caloric intake while I was sleeping that night!:noway: I haven't done it again. But now you have me VERY curious. I think I will do this for the rest of the week and see what my averages are. Should be interesting!

As for your dilema, I don't recommend jumping to a new caloric level all at once. Your body (assuming you are in survival mode) will freak out and store all the excess calories as fat. If you DO decide to increase your calories, only do it by 50-100 calories at a time, and wait several days before bumping it up again.

Good luck on finding what works for you!:flowerforyou: