lower belly flab

Options
Need some help........What is the best exercise to do to get rid of the lower belly flab?
I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If by flab you mean fat, the only way is to reduce calories, to exercise, and lose weight overall. There is no way to "spot reduce" fat. All you can do is lose weight and do core exercises (sit ups, crunches, etc.) to tone the muscles underneath.
  • ljbouse
    ljbouse Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. That is what i kinda figured but I did not know if anyone had come up with some great thing that really worked the lower belly. Thank you again and Good luck on your journey, tlblood.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I found a great show on the Fit channel (direct Tv) called Shimmy.. its belly dancing! It's so much fun, and it's more like yoga in a sense that its slow methodic controlled movements in certain areas. The 20 minutes fly by!! I'm sure they have great DVDs that are similar too if this is not available.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The problem with situps and crunches, as it's been explained to me, is they only work the upper abs. To engage the lower muscles you have to either do those things where you hang from a bar and pull up your legs to a sitting position, or some other specific exercise and machines that are geared for that. The pull ups are hard and you have to have the arm strength for them, but I know there are others I can't think of right now.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pilates work great for toning that lower belly. I can't say it makes my sagging stomach from 2 c-sections go away because I still have lots of weight to lose, but it does feel tighter and lifted if that makes sense. Reverse crunches work well, lie on the floor and pull your knees to your chest using only your lower abs. The slower you do this the more effective because you're not using momentum. Also there's this pilates move, and I can't find an image of it online, so I hope I can explain it well. You lie flat on your back, arms straight by your sides. Then lift your knees so they form an upside down L. Then put a small yoga ball or pillow between your ankles and squeeze it in with your calves. Now slowly rotate your feet from left to right without dropping your knees or moving your hips or upper body. Hope this makes sense.

Here's some links for some other pilates moves
    http://pilates.about.com/od/abdminals/Focus_on_Abdominals.htm
  • verykristin
    Options
    To work your lower abs: lay flat on your back with your arms on your sides, palms down. Keeping your legs straight, lift them into the air so your body makes a 90-degree angle. Lower legs back down, keeping them about two inches from the floor. Do as many reps as you can, nice and slow. You'll feel it pretty quickly!
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    You can do whats called a reverse crunch. You lay on your back and put your legs straight up with your hands on the floor. Then you lift up your butt and legs and it works the muscles in the lower belly. Good luck! =)
  • Eliaheart
    Eliaheart Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The jacknife and other exercises where you lie on your back and lift your legs (they have to be as straight as possible) will work your lower abs for the first part of the movement. What I do is that I lift them up just a bit - maybe 1 ft or so - and bring them down without having them touch the floor.

HTH!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly - the reverse crunch!! That was what I was trying to think of. Way easier than trying to lift your entire body in the air.
  • ljbouse
    ljbouse Posts: 129
    Options
    THANKS for all the great suggestions. I do have a few dance videos that have ab workout sections. The reverse crunch sounds like a great challange. jrbowers...you explained the position and moves very well. thank you.
  • AmyG77
    AmyG77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should try 2 of my favorite moves to work the lower belly pouch. The plank---start by doing it for as long as possible (feel the burn :explode: )Graduate to extended lengths of time. The other is, lay on your back in sit up position. Next, cross your legs indian style, then crunch.
    Good Luck!
  • lydiabeth4
    Options
    I found a great show on the Fit channel (direct Tv) called Shimmy.. its belly dancing! It's so much fun, and it's more like yoga in a sense that its slow methodic controlled movements in certain areas. The 20 minutes fly by!! I'm sure they have great DVDs that are similar too if this is not available.

I Love Shimmy!!! My mom showed it to me and we record them on our DVR and do the workouts over and over again!
    It's so much fun and it really does work all the muscles in your stomach area!