Oatmeal

Options
Can anybody give me any fun and healthy ways to use oatmeal rather than just adding peanut butter or honey and fruit?
Please and Thank you :)

xxx

Replies

• sunshine83777
    Options
    bump thanks
  • luckykirstar
    luckykirstar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great sites! I always put yogurt in my oatmeal. It tastes delicious when the oatmeal is hot and the cold yogurt adds a tasty and smooth texture. Yummy.
  • margiea7
    margiea7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mostly I turn my oatmeal into chocolate pudding - cook with plenty of liquid, optionally add fruit (I like chopped pear), and then add cocoa and sweetener (or in my case, two heaped teaspoons of a good, sugar-free hot chocolate powder).

But for something a tad more inspired, these are good, especially if you add fruit like peach slices, berries or more apple to jazz them up. Courtesy of a South Beach diet forum (from my SB efforts of the past), although I don't remember who to credit.

Baked Oatmeal
    (makes about 10 bars - have one or two per serving)
    2 1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp table salt
    1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 cup fat-free skim milk
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Combine the wet and dry, mixing well, and pour batter into a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with Pam or similar.
    Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    I like overnight oats. Check out this site. You can add so many different fruits to it. Very yummy. I like to use Coconut or Almond Milk with mine.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I really like cold oatmeal that thickens overnight in the fridge. Read it on a blog, tried it, love it. It gives it a different texture and taste. You should google it :).
    I've also seen people put it in their smoothies. I have never tried it because I'm not much of a smoothie person, but good concept.
    And lastly, I love these pb oatmeal bars. Here is the recipe. They aren't very sweet, but they are perfect for breakfast!
    PB Oatmeal Bars:
    1 1/2 cups oats
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 cup milk
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 large mashed banana
    1/4 cup peanut butter

Simple. Combine. Bake. Cut. Eat. Enjoy!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 2 tbsp of sweetened coconut and 2 tsp of chocolate chips to oatmeal.
  • pamina1
    pamina1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maple flacks and nuts
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Love this Oatmeal Bake. Here is a banana version:

2 cups rolled oats (can use quick oats)
    Rumford's - Low Sodium Baking Powder, 1 tsp.
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 2 tsp
    Spices - Nutmeg, ground, 1 tsp
    1-2 scoops of protein powder
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk Unsweetened Original, 2 cup
    Bananas - Raw, 1 medium -very ripe
    Egg Beaters/Publix - Egg Stirs, 1/2 cup

Mix dry ingredients, then mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Spray 8 X 8 baking pan. Cook at 350 for about 40 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces. With my protein powder (2 scoops at 140 calories for 2 scoops), the calorie count for each piece is only 167 calories. I top it with 1/8 cup of sugar free Maple Grove Syrup (additional 15 calories) and/or no sugar added cherry pie filling (30 calories for 1/3 cup).

Yummiest breakfast ever! I bake ahead and use it for the next few days.

Calories/ Iron/ Sat /Fat /Protein /Potass /Sodium
    Per Serving: 167 / 21/ 0 / 5 / 121 / 172
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-carrot-cake-oatmeal/

The carrots cake oatmeal is soooo tasty! Along the side are links to many other clean-eating breakfast idea including many different oatmeal ones.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    I make the refridgerator oatmeal and I love it!! It's also so handy and fast in the morning :)
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    This is my recent addiction, though it involves fruit....

1/2 cup oatmeal made with 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
    mix in 1/2 tbsp butter, cinnamon, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein poweder and 1/8 cup sugar free syrup

layer on top 1/2 cup plain fat free greek yogurt mixed with a teaspoon stevia and vanilla extract

layer on top of the chopped strawberries and some blueberries

sprinkle more cinnamon

drizzle 1/8 cup sugar free syrup

top with 2 tbsp whipped cream

HEAVEN IN A BOWL
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You can put oatmeal in your protein shakes....

I have been having oatmeal for breakfast in the mornings..... I do:
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1 cup water
    1/4-1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    dash truvia

microwave for 2 minutes

add 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, dash cinnamon (heavy dash if you like cinnamon like me) - stir up - microwave for another minute....

add 1/4-1/2 tsp splenda brown sugar blend or 1.5tsp brownulated light brown sugar.

YUM!
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually do PB and 1/2 of a mashed up banana. It is very filling! I saw a recipe for "funfetti oatmeal" today, I am going to try it tomorrow. It's instant oats cooked with milk, and when it's done you add a couple tablespoons of funfetti cake mix to it and mix. Sounds awesome because I love all things funfetti! :)
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I forgot! Another favorite is pumpkin oatmeal. Just add 1/4 - 1/3 cup of canned pumpkin to your oatmeal with some pumpkin pie spice and sugar or a sug substitute. Heavenly! Especially in the fall.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I use it in my meatloaf.

Meatloaf-1.png
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your great ideas :)
    Do you think it would be ok to make refrigerator oats with rolled oats?