I'm sorry, Husband

Options
I kinda flipped out on my husband this morning when I saw the empty pint container of Greek yogurt in the recycling bin. I buy 2 pints a week, a regular low fat organic yogurt for him that is higher in calories to help him reach his caloric needs, and a fat free Greek yogurt that is low in calories and higher in protein, so that I can stay under my calorie goals. His container is brightly colored with lots of decorations on the label, mine is white with small, light blue lettering.

I ate way too much yesterday, am feeling hung over this morning and all I can really think about is a green smoothie as a nice cleansing and atoning meal to help get me back on track. I know I need the probiotics in the yogurt to help my body get back into shape after the damage I did yesterday with all the sugar and wheat products.

I spent an hour carefully planning out my menu last night, with a perfect balance of my macros. Then I see the empty container. I came a little unglued. Now my macros are either going to be totally off for the day, or I'm going to have to give up something I really, really like. Like salad dressing or my evening glass of wine. I was already feeling down on myself, and this development sent me over the edge. Yeah, I still hadn't had my morning coffee yet, either.

"Why are you eating the fat free yogurt!!! You have a full container, and you have to eat my low-calorie food! What the hell am I supposed to do now, starve?" Yeah, I way over reacted...:embarassed:

"I didn't know there was a difference." Was all he said.

I snapped back him, "You try eating enough protein and fiber on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and then tell me how you don't know there's difference!"

He is here on MFP as well and we are traveling this road to fitness together. He doesn't cook much beyond the basics. I help him with his food choices and he helps me with the weight room and my fitness goals. We make a good team, but sometimes my half of the team's type-A personality snaps.

I'm leaving town tomorrow to seek a job in our new city, so I will just eat the high calorie yogurt today, and skip my evening glass of wine. Maybe I'd be more tolerable to hang out with if I just blended the wine into the smoothie. But then my macros will be off. :wink:

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I get it! I will say now that I am closer to 50, I don't yell as much I tend to, I go with the flow a bit more (comes with age...LOL)
    But I do get it....Hang in there and good luck on the job hunt.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    haha...I'm sorry.

Just start buying two of the fat free and let it go. If he wants to really have the extra calories for bulking up them he'll pay more attention next time.
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just bought separate food items for me and my boyfriend. He actually does most of the cooking but I usually shop. I pointed out the differences to him, so hopefully he won't eat my versions of anything!

I can understand the freak out though. It's like "Why aren't you helping me? Are you trying to sabotage me? It's hard for me, so don't make it harder!!"

I'm assuming your husband knows you pretty well though, so just tell him everyone got a laugh out of it here on MFP
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's a problem that can be solved with a 30 min walk....
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It does get to you sometimes doesn't it?

Especially when you're hungry. This is really, truly not a slap at you, but it is absolutely true for me. As I hit my initial weight goal I just feel like I have less 'bounce' in my system. So little things just make me crazy and I snap, where I didn't used to.

My 14 year old is now getting back at me for all the times he would get cranky and I would tell him he needed more sleep or to have a snack. I snap at him and he just looks at me and says 'Mom, I think your blood sugar is low. Have you eaten enough today?'

Touche.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    Yeah it happens....
    I love it when your eating the Skinny cow and there eating the Ben & Jerrys...
    Untill your Skinny Cow treats are all mysteriously gone....
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Yep. He walked out the door and didn't have to listen to me anymore. :bigsmile:
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It's like it was the last Greek yogurt in the world.... lol .... I'm sure there is a store that sells more of it ...

remember you can replace a object easily..... but hurting someones feelings over a material item is pointless and not as easily "replaced".
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i can relate to this sooo muuuuch haha. i just answered the forum post "Husband wants me to wear sexier clothes but I just can't" and had a brief 'soul searchie' moment where i realized just how much i appreciate my hubbs and all that he is.

each month he eats a lot of my organic fruit leathers along with a few other things, but i still love him hehe <3 we have achieved some success by putting all my healthy low cal foods in my crisper, and his snacks in his. (luckily we have two in our fridge)
  • vh416
    vh416 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I run into this problem a lot, since I live in a big household with lots of company!! It was frustrating because you are already spending more money on the low cal stuff, and people would be eating it while the (usually better-tasting) higher calorie cousin was right next to it. I think the worst part was that I don't mind people eating it if they are aware of what they are eating and trying to eat healthier, but it killed me when they were just grabbing the first thing they saw to fill their hugry bellys. I've learned to not let the little things bug me so much, but I can definitely relate. : )
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Sometimes the best solution. I am sad to say I would have reacted the same way, but I'd fix the issue with an hour or so of make up time ;)
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would have just gone to the store for another greek yogurt or two. XD
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I love you for writing this post.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Look on the bright side, your life must be awesome if this is what you have to complain about :)
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options

.....to the store to get your yogurt :smile: :flowerforyou: I've been there though - it can be frustrating!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It's like it was the last Greek yogurt in the world.... lol .... I'm sure there is a store that sells more of it ...

remember you can replace a object easily..... but hurting someones feelings over a material item is pointless and not as easily "replaced".

I know I was being ridiculous. Hopefully he sees this thread during his lunch break today and gets a chuckle out of it. We've been married for 15 years, so he is kind of used to my occasional over-the-top reactions. If it wasn't first thing in the morning, he would have plied me with wine and chocolate, I'm sure of it.

I'm feeling a little stressed out about our move to a new city, and sometimes I get upset about something stupid when really I'm just stressing out about something completely different. I think a good hard session at the gym today will do wonders for my stress levels.
  • AniOnFire
    AniOnFire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hehe, I've been there! The trick is to apologize via text message after you've cooled down, and blame it on the calorie restriction :D
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Um, go buy another container?
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Maybe part of the problem is you need more than 1200 calories a day so it's putting you in a bad mood..
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options

ROFLMAO!!!
    Good one :bigsmile: