Watermelon?

Options
I have read that watermelon is really good for weightloss, as it is mostly water and a natural diuretic, BUT I also know that is is full of natural sugar so.........yay or nay on the watermelon......................or is it just a moderation thing?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am severely allergic to it so I can't eat it. Sad face!
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    I love watermelon! I try not to eat it after 5:00 pm
  • mstanleymines
    Options
    ANY fruit you eat is full of sugar. Watermelon is mostly water, yes - water-filled fruits are greats for the munchies. Cucumber may be a lower-sugar alternative.

However, you should try and get the most out of your fruit by opting for those with a little more fiber, ie apples.
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you are making room in your diet for the carbs/sugar than watermelon is wonderful. I have been having it for breakfast some days (like a 4th of a melon) and it keeps me full enough where I usually can get by with a smaller lunch.
  • DevonW32
    DevonW32 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love watermelon...it's full of water and natural sugar I has never done me any harm at all....I eat it so much I think it has played a good role in my digestive system and weight loss
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I love watermelon it helps with my sweet tooth. The only caution to watermelon is that is has a high glycemic index. But really, anything in moderation.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Yay on watermelon. So delicious and in season!

Also it has some added benefits for the guys (or so I've been told) :D
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    Watermelon is a good diuretic. It has plenty of vitamins. If you can tolerate eating the seeds, these are good for you.
    I like watermelon a lot. I try to eat some every during the summer. Watermelon keeps the plumbing working quite well.:wink:
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've heard some dietitians who are telling people not to eat watermelon on diets and...i know a family friend who tried something like a watermelon diet that consisted of eating fruits, and mostly watermelons and...well....she actually ended up putting on weight.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    it's good in moderation. as long as you aren't eating a whole watermelon than you are fine. enjoy the healthy snack it is!
  • jjangula
    jjangula Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone......I will just eat it in moderation.....as with everything!
  • mama4loca
    Options
    I had no idea watermelon was that high in calories until I started logging. I thought I was doing a good thing!! My husband is diabetic and loves watermelon- should he be cutting back? We have it almost daily here...
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of watermelon, love it! It's never been a problem as far as calories or sugar for me.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    yay i love eating watermelon.. you can get away with a cup a day :) remember its natural sugars not processed
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Yay on watermelon. So delicious and in season!

Also it has some added benefits for the guys (or so I've been told) :D

Kinda like asparagus kind of benefit????
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Please ! for about a month there I ate about 10oz of watermelon a day and it did not stop my weight loss one little bit. I love it and I enjoy it. Yes it has carbs but like veggies I consider it good carbs and can ignore it and the sugar I don't even worry about it cause it's natural sugar. You do what you think you got to do, but I say if you enjoy it eat it count it and good luck
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I vote yes for eating watermelon, but I don't think it will make or break your diet. Your diet is about everything you eat. One food, or type of food, will NOT make or break it.