Low Protein/Plant-Based Diet ?

Options
My question is, do I need to increase my protein to continue this workout routine, or is a more plant-based diet still going to work for me? Any suggestions?

I'm trying to firm up. I'm beginning a workout routine where
M - dance team practice, 2 hours
Tu - weight room, 30 min; rock climbing, 1 hour; dance team, 2 hours
W - dance team, 2 hours
Th - weight room, 30 min
Fri - rest
Sat - weight room, 30 min
Sun - low impact cardio (ie swimming), 1 hour

I can't do many exercises such as running because they build the wrong muscles for dance team.

Right now, my diet is higher carb, mostly coming from raw fruit and veg. I have little dairy (but get my calcium requirement with almond milk). I don't like meat and don't want to drastically increase its contents.

Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You haven't stated how much protein you eat currently on a average day.
  • mstanleymines
    Options
    About 35g
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say yes. If you can't stand meat, maybe beans, yogurt or more dairy may help.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would definitely increase it. Especially if you are lifting! 35 is way too low.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

Your body fat/muscle ratio will really suffer.
  • wife2abadge
    wife2abadge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. My blood protein level came back low on my most recent test, and I was eating 50+g of protein a day. Eat more beans, tofu, tempeh, or pea protein powder in your oatmeal or smoothies (if you eat either of those).
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    There are some decent plant-based protein powders out there. I use Garden of Life RAW. It has all of your nutrients. And also, Vega One. It has a pretty high [protein content and comes in flavors like Very Berry and Vanilla Chai and Chocolate
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Now pea protein is really cheap and has a lot of protein. Make a smoothie with your almond milk, fruit, and the protein powder. If you already get 35 g, the protein powder will give you another 28g for only 130 calories more. With how much activity you do, I'd consider doing two of those smoothies a day, or adding in more lentils to the mix.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think 35g is anywhere near enough. General recommendation (while I've never actually read any primary literature to prove this) is at least 1g per lb of lean mass. Accordingly, I aim to get about 120g/day.

Don't mean to hyjack, but do you ever get too much fiber problems? I suspect I might be having some, and was wondering if you had any tips for how to not while eating more frutis, veggies, and beans
  • farrari17
    Options
    If you're worried about your macronutrient intake, don't get advice on a forum like this. People have good intentions, but the high majority of people here are not dietitians and so can't truly give out nutritional advice. Print out your food diary for a week and take it to a dietitian, who can tell you what you need. The goal amounts, as well as the calories, that myfitnesspal gives you per day is an estimate for your size, gender, age, etc, and so it may not be right for you or your activities. See a dietitian for specialized amounts for your needs.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love roasted chickpeas, there full of protien ,fiber and healthy fats.

Prheat oven to 400
    1 Can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
    1 Table spoon brown sugar
    1 Table spoon chili powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 Teaspoon olive oil
    You can use what ever seasonings you like but those are my fav for a spicy sweet combo. After you rinse the chickpeas place in a bowl and mix with olive oil and seasonings . Place chick peas on a peice of parchment paper in an oven pan then bake for about 30 minutes.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If you're worried about your macronutrient intake, don't get advice on a forum like this. People have good intentions, but the high majority of people here are not dietitians and so can't truly give out nutritional advice. Print out your food diary for a week and take it to a dietitian, who can tell you what you need. The goal amounts, as well as the calories, that myfitnesspal gives you per day is an estimate for your size, gender, age, etc, and so it may not be right for you or your activities. See a dietitian for specialized amounts for your needs.

But then there are some of us who are registered dietitians and who do know what we're talking about.

So while I agree with the idea of not blindly following all advice, I also don't think it's right to blindly discard everything too.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Not everyone can afford that..
    Also this isn't that complicated of a question that would require talking with a dietitian. Some simple research can get you your answers.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Not everyone can afford that..
    Also this isn't that complicated of a question that would require talking with a dietitian. Some simple research can get you your answers.

she's probably a dietitian trying to drum up some business for herself.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I eat about 0.8g per lb of bodyweight. I eat meat on VERY rare occasions but do eat fish and have a dairy free diet. It can be hard to make your protein goals, but stuff like bulgar wheat, beans, tofu, peanut butter and tempeh. Tempeh has about 18gr protein per 100gr serving, so it's really excellent!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. My blood protein level came back low on my most recent test, and I was eating 50+g of protein a day. Eat more beans, tofu, tempeh, or pea protein powder in your oatmeal or smoothies (if you eat either of those).

Blood protein (or total protein) is not related to dietary protein.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You kind of have to decide for yourself. I find it's hard to get enough protein with just plant based foods, although I love eating mostly veggies! YUM.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Read "EAT TO LIVE" for information on real nutrition and macronutrient needs, for real people (and athletes), written by a former world champ ice skating athlete and now a nutrition expert and medical doctor. "EAT TO LIVE" is how you eat a proper plant-based diet. Doesn't have to be non-meat, but it's perfectly okay to do it without meat. Then just go out there and do it.
  • mstanleymines
    Options
    I don't have too much of an issue with high fiber. I drink tea and eat about 600% of my vitatmin C requirements (ie tomatoes) - both of which help things run smoothly.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely. I'm not a big meat-eater either but I eat it anyway because it's full of protein. I also really don't like eggs very much but again, I eat them anyway. I also eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese, and drink milk. I also use a protein supplement. I aim for 140g's a day.