Cooked Pasta trouble

Hi! Im trying to add cooked whole wheat pasta to my nutrition board but the numbers I get are way off in my opinion. Other nutrition webpages say that 1 ounce (28g) contains around 35kcal which is really different from what myfitnesspal gives me. Ive tried to change pasta sort/kind but they are all the same. For example, it tells me that one oz of whole wheat penne pasta is 100 kcal.

Im new to myfitnesspal and I would love to hear your input on this.

/Steff

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    One oz of whole wheat pasta *uncooked* is about 100 kcal (calories, in common terminology). For *cooked* whole wheat pasta, 100 calories' worth will weigh about 80 g, or just under 3 oz.

So yes, one oz cooked for 35 calories is accurate.
  • tweetie781
    tweetie781 Posts: 7 Member
    The whole wheat pasta I use in my family's recipes is 100 per ounce dry.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    If you really think it is incorrect you can add your own food entry for any foods. Under the FOOD tab and MY FOODs. Name it and then enter the info from the packaging.

But as the post above points out there is a big difference between 1 cup pasta cooked and 1 cup cooked pasta. Just be sure you have the correct one.*
  • I very rarely eat pasta tonight I weighed 2 oz cooked Barilla angel hair pasta it counted it as 200cal not sure if that is right it was a pretty small portion for 200cal, not sure if you should weigh dry or cooked. I know I wont be eating pasta anytime soon!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    I wish the pasta companies would just sort this out once and for all by specifying which it is on the bloody box.

From memory, it's *usually* between 200-350 cals per cup cooked, depending on the type of pasta, water absorption, etc. I believe the cals on the box refer to 'dry'.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    I very rarely eat pasta tonight I weighed 2 oz cooked Barilla angel hair pasta it counted it as 200cal not sure if that is right it was a pretty small portion for 200cal, not sure if you should weigh dry or cooked. I know I wont be eating pasta anytime soon!

See my post above. It is 200 calories for 2 oz UNCOOKED. That amount weighs significantly more than that COOKED.