VitaMix

Options
Bretto
Bretto Posts: 196 Member
Does Anyone have a VitaMix? Do you love it? Is it worth the money? We are thinking about buying one. The cheapest place I have found one is at a local fair. You get everything plus the bonus package & 8 yr warranty for $449. This same thing is $649 on the web. Anyone found one cheaper? Any advice would be great.

Replies

• skuhbacher
    Options
    I love my VitaMix! I use it almost everyday, mostly for smoothies. I bought my online before the holidays for a resonable price...they are pricey but a worthy investment.
  • stella_star
    Options
    I love my VitaMix! I use it almost everyday, mostly for smoothies. I bought my online before the holidays for a resonable price...they are pricey but a worthy investment.

What does it 'do'? I mean I know it's a fancy blender, but what does it do to make it worth all that cash? I see so much talk of them that it reall ymakes me want one - but I have no idea why!
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I layed out the cake for a Vitamix and its worth the money because its changed the way I eat.
    I had bought a juicer but they suck to clean, you get minimal amounts of juice and you throw away the fiber.

The Vitamix is a lawnmower engine on a blender. A typical shake is like this.
    1 apple cut in half seeds and all.
    1 orange peeled.
    1/2 a banana
    2 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach
    frozen stawberries and frozen blueberries
    A little non fat vanilla yogurt
    a little vanilla protein powder
    2 ice cubes. Crank it up and make it rock..... great shake.

I hate pulp and Other blenders couldn't handle atomizing the spinach and making everything really smooth.
    This is a pro kitchen product.... they use them on Iron Chef.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I got one from my husband for my birthday last year. It's the pro model, not the household model.

I don't just love it, I practically worship it. Every time I use it, I think "this is the best present I've ever gotten".

I use it at least twice every day, sometimes more. It makes making not just smoothies crazy easy (and easy to get the entire food nourishment) but also homemade salad dressings (I never buy them anymore) and soups (you really can cook in the thing!) also, it makes the world's best whipped cream, but I probably shouldn't say that on a weight loss/fitness website.:tongue: I also use it to make nut butters and nut flours.

It's the only appliance I've ever gotten that lives up to the hype surrounding it. Also, my DIL has a blend-tec, and it's nowhere near as nice/easy to use. Although it blends really well, the controls are confusing.

Worth every penny, IMHO.
  • SnakePlissken
    Options
    Viv:
    I buy butternut squash cubed and throw it in a large roasting pan with Olive oil
    Then I peel and cube a large sweet potato
    Rough cut a large red bell pepper and a sweet onion
    Throw in a rough chopped ball of fennel
    Cut up a couple of large carrots
    Some cloves of garlic and some spices.
    I roast them all together for about 40 minutes and then throw it all in the Vitamix.
    Just add chicken stock and you've got some super tasty soup.
    If you want it as a mashed side instead of soup don't add the stock.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Viv:
    I buy butternut squash cubed and throw it in a large roasting pan with Olive oil
    Then I peel and cube a large sweet potato
    Rough cut a large red bell pepper and a sweet onion
    Throw in a rough chopped ball of fennel
    Cut up a couple of large carrots
    Some cloves of garlic and some spices.
    I roast them all together for about 40 minutes and then throw it all in the Vitamix.
    Just add chicken stock and you've got some super tasty soup.
    If you want it as a mashed side instead of soup don't add the stock.

and, that's what I want for dinner tomorrow. Sounds amazing!
  • SnakePlissken
    Options
    Hey i forgot that I also put a large roasted Poblano pepper in there also.
  • stella_star
    Options
    Oh now I really want one! They aren't easy to get hold of in the UK and are even more expensive when you do find them! One day I WILL have one!!
  • jadenfox
    jadenfox Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I stick a peeled cored pineapple, a banana, an orange or 2, an apple and some carrots, turn it on, and voila a whole pitcher of awsome juice. The homemade sorbet is awsome and the supe is delish too.
  • SnakePlissken
    Options
    Yesterday, just to push the envelope I tried making a green kinda outta the box smoothie.
    1 Avacado
    A large handful of baby spinach
    3/4 of a large peeled cucumber
    Some fresh basil
    1 large carrot
    A small peeled orange
    5 frozen strawberries and some frozen blueberries
    A little non fat vanilla yogurt and 3 ice cubes.

When I blended it I thought it might turn out to be a nightmare because the drink was dominated by vegetables but other than being a little thick it actually tasted really good.