I don't look different but my pants are falling off.

Options
So I discovered MFP about two months ago and started dieting and have lost quite a bit of weight. My size 40 pants fit again and I feel more engergetic. But I don't look any different! My stomach was just at big as it was at 252 and I'v lost almost 17 pounds. I also don't see any difference in my face. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I losing muscle mass instead of fat?

Replies

• oker673
    oker673 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have had that happen before. My clothes fit better, but to me I still seemed the same. However, other people could definitely tell that I lost weight.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you look different! It's just not noticeable if you are seeing yourself everday. Obviously you are smaller if your pants are falling off!! I didnt notice in myself until almost 30 pounds gone, but others did. If you have a picture of yourself at the heaviear weight, take a picture now and do a sde by side comparison. I'm sure there will be a difference!

And congrats on the 17 llbs lost! Great accomplishment, keep it up :drinker:
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My doctor,, as did my trainer ... told me we don't lose weight all in one place. So while you have lost 17 pounds and your clothes are looser, you may not see it because you are losing it all over your body. I have noticed that I notice the changes when I lose 20 pounds. That seems to be the magic number for me to see the changes in my body.

Also, the first losses I noticed were in my face, shoulders and calves. Our core is usually the last place we lose especially for women.

Congrats on losing 17 pounds and keep up the great work!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Congrats and trust the jeans!! You see yourself every single day, so no, you may not see the difference. But a good pair of jeans will never lie! LOL Keep up the good work!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I lost it in my face. But you have no control over where your body drops fat.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

So did all these ladies ---> http://www.venusindex.com/transformation-contest/

If you want to learn the real truth invest in this. I gain nothing by it, but I am passionate about other people finding the same success I did and learning all the myths floating about in the diet industry that is designed to keep getting your money over and over. --- > http://www.anythinggoesdiet.com/no-diet-rules-allowed.php (This is NOT about eating junk food!)

My story here --> http://www.venusindex.com/roberta-saums-venus-index-transformation/

Oh yeah and you can do this WITHOUT a personal trainer or coaching. Read the book, it explains the answers, done. Then just do it. Of course the superior designed workout helps as well.

-Bobbie
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and I bet you really do look different. Awesome job on the weight loss!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I discovered MFP about two months ago and started dieting and have lost quite a bit of weight. My size 40 pants fit again and I feel more engergetic. But I don't look any different! My stomach was just at big as it was at 252 and I'v lost almost 17 pounds. I also don't see any difference in my face. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I losing muscle mass instead of fat?

I think sometimes we have trouble really seeing our progress because we have a picture in our mind of what progress looks like. I found this out on MY journey...

this is me after losing about 5 lbs.
    7355961762_499d855e15_q.jpg
    dillons party by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me, wearing the same outfit after another 12 pounds or so--at about 17lbs.
    7719008698_a46d6d1a5b.jpg
    IMG00561-20120615-0919 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
    I still have the same shape I had at the beginning, but the rolls are smaller, and the clothes fit better.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    take a pic of your self to have some thing to compare I like to take 1 pic a month Gives you an extra push to let you know you are doing good even if the scale does or doesnt move You can see the results of all your hard work becasue when I look in the mirrior I still see flaws and maybe later you can inspire others by sharing them
  • fudie
    fudie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i was the exact same!!! i had a lot of people telling me i looked great! (it felt great!!!) but i never saw it!!! i got to the point where i lost 40lbs and i just started to see it. i would look in the mirror all the time and be so happy with what i was seeing! congrats about your loss!!!!!!
  • LynRhea
    Options
    That's a good thing. I'll bet you do look different and maybe you just don't see it. I'm on the last hole of my belts and my pants are too large also. It's a wonderful thing! Keep going.
  • HRMOM64
    Options
    I have hit a plateau on my weight. So I changed up my routine. Your muscles get used to the same routine. I also started taking my measurements every month. Since July, I have lost 2in in my arm, thigh & hips. My weight, waist & bust are the same. Even though I do not see it in my weight, I see & feel it in what I wear.

Keep up the good work. It's hard, but worth it. :tongue:
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Check this site out:

www.mybodygallery.com

I stumbled across it and it was helpful in showing me a different perspective of my body/body type.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Start taking measurements!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I bet your B.P. and cholesterol numbers are better. Keep up the good work and try not to be discouraged. : )
  • BoxinHunny
    Options
    Dude- so right there with you! Everyone says they see a difference in me, and I don't see a dang thing! But one day youre gonna look at yourself and be like.. whoa. when the hell did that happen.

Just got be patient and keep on keepin on! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yes, what everyone else has said, plus a few things I have noticed over the years regarding weight loss:

1. First ten pounds or so are usually a pound or two of fat, but mostly the loss of excess fluids. So you lose alot of "puffiness" from your appearance and you don't feel as bloated, which will also make your clothes fit better.
    2. The next five to ten pounds are generally fat coming off of your internal organs. Again, you'll feel less bloated and your clothes will fit a little looser, but still not a huge difference in your external appearance.
    3. Once you get past the -20lbs mark, you'll start to see a difference in your appearance. My suggestion, take some before pics now. Then take some more every 20 or 30lbs you lose. You'll be amazed at the difference you can see in a photo, that you don't see in the mirror.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of distorted body image ... :flowerforyou: If your pants are falling off then you must look different. However, your mind can trick you in the mirror. I went from 220 pounds down to 116 pounds and still saw a "fat chick" and a "belly" in the mirror. I can totally understand how people can get eating disorders. :frown: Just keep working at a healthier lifestyle and know that you are making amazing changes, whether it is registering with you or not! :heart: