Food Scale Question

Options
So, I just bought a food scale (YAY!!) haha .. I cut up some sweet potatoes and weighed them. Before I baked them they were 8.5oz but after I baked them they were 6.4 ounces. So, being a total newb, what weight do I use to calculate my calories?

Replies

• ashtonvv
    Options
    i always weigh my food after it is cooked. Not sure if it makes a difference, food changes after it is cooked so I would assume weighing it after it's prepared would be the most accurate.

Curious to see other responses though.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Before you cook it. I weight everything and log it before it is cooked if I'm making it from scratch.
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah, always before you cook.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Before you cook it.
  • MissLexiLoo
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Before because most food loses water content when it cooks. This is especially important with meat! A four ounce piece of chicken will often weigh just over three after cooking. You still have eaten four ounces, though! Calorie counts on packages are almost always for the raw food.
  • eilmeister
    Options
    There are different entries in the database for raw and cooked items. For example, there are entries for "Chicken Breast, meat only, raw", and "Chicken breast, cooked, roasted, without skin" or similar. Use the one that corresponds to your time of weighing.

I always weigh my food raw.