Cheating?

Options
Are there things you do to cheat? I log in every single thing I ate or drank but will tweak the serving sizes sometimes in order to keep under my calories. If I had 2 servings of pasta at dinner but it went over my cal, I will put in 1 1/2 servings or something. I know that's bad but hey, we're human, we're not perfect.

Replies

• TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Nope, can't say I do that.
    This whole process for me is about being honest with myself; facing the fact that I was overweight and ate a lot of food that was bad for me.
    Cheating on my portion sizes or not logging what I've eaten are being dishonest with myself.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    No because I'd only be lying to myself and it wouldn't allow me to keep an eye on things properly and assess what worked for me/ why I hadn't lost weight.

What's the point in using a food diary if you're going to make it up as you go along?
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    No actually I tend to be pretty honest because I like to see what I am really putting in my body
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You're just kidding yourself and you'll soon notice in your weight loss... or lack of
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    Yeah- without any sort of judgment - what's the point of logging if you're going to cheat? You're not logging for anyone reading your diary - you're logging for yourself.

*shrug*

Just seems odd.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I never log my coffee or creamer. I don't make latte's just brewed coffee and I add a little creamer. I usually have 1 cup, sometimes 2 if it was a rough night. If I am somewhere where I get a mocha then I log it....but my morning brewed coffee....never.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I get why you do, but it's not up to MFP whether or not you lose the weight...
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I don't focus so much on my numbers because if I go over my cals by 100 calories I won't gain any weight.

The only thing I do 'cheat' on is about once a week I go over my calorie allotment to let my body know that's okay and I will still feed it a maintenance day. I do it mainly to keep my BMR up so my metabolism doesn't slow down too much over this long process.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat the logging system, but I also don't log at all when I splurge.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Honesty is the best policy :drinker:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You can lie to your brain, but you can't lie to your body. There's absolutely no sense in maintaining a food log if it's not as correct as you can make it. On the brighter side, at least you'll know why if/when your weight loss stalls, and what you'll need to do to correct it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Are there things you do to cheat? I log in every single thing I ate or drank but will tweak the serving sizes sometimes in order to keep under my calories. If I had 2 servings of pasta at dinner but it went over my cal, I will put in 1 1/2 servings or something. I know that's bad but hey, we're human, we're not perfect.

But what are you cheating? The body doesn't think you only ate 1.5 servings even if everyone else does. You might feel better about it but then you won't when you come to check your scales or measurements. If you want to keep morale up, then have a formal cheat meal that means you can eat what you normally avoid without going OTT (eat a month's worth of hard work back and you'll know about it).
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    I don't cheat on my diet, or in logging my diet. When it comes to estimating my portion size if anything I will overestimate the amount consumed. I try to record an honest account of calories burned through exercise. None of this is to say that I never have a day when I exceed my daily allotment of calories. I certainly do go over on occasion.

The bottom line is that I started this journey for myself. (If I had listened to other people I would have continued making the same bad choices that I'd grown unhappy with!) If I fail to meet my goals here I haven't let others down, I've cheated myself.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I over-estimate my calories, is that cheating?

It's sensible unless you're anorexic and going for 700 calories a day.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't cheat on my logs. I'd only be cheating myself. If I go over, then I go over. It happens. I only cheat if I legit forget to log something, even the next day I'd go back and put it in there though.
  • EclipseSong
    Options
    I over-estimate my calories, is that cheating?
    I do this as well.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Why would you set yourself up for failure? That's ridiculous.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I dont cheat either. If I eat it I log it. Sometimes if I take a "bite" of something I dont, because I dont know how. I usually have extra cals left over to cover any missed measurements or calculations. Its not an exact science and I am losing at a nice rate.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What's the point of lying to yourself? That's silly...you're just cheating yourself. If you don't want people to see you ate 2 servings make your diary private. Your body knows you ate it so what good is it doing not logging it?!?