I have lost 17 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks, too fast?

Options
I basically changed my lifestyle completely. I didn't exercise, now I do. I ate fast food multiple times a week, now I don't. I am eating breakfast where I didn't before. I'm not eating late at night anymore. I am going to bed earlier. I just totally changed my eating, sleeping and exercise habits and the weight is just falling off. I have 122 lbs total to lose for a goal weight of 160, 105 lbs left now. Am I losing weight too fast or is this happening because I have so much to lose? I know alot of it is water weight. I feel so good, better than I have in years. I don't starve myself, my mfp calorie goal is 1571 I believe and I almost eat all of my calories plus another 300 for breastfeeding. Oh, I weighed myself for the first time on the 15th and was 287.6 lbs and this morning I was 270.2. I am not complaining by any means ;) but a friend brought up that this might be unhealthy and I want to see if this was normal for anyone else.

Replies

• jennifermaffei17
    Options
    A normal/healthy weight to lose is 2lbs or less per week. Most people on their first or second weeks of dieting and exercising will lose a tremendous amount of weight but your body will plateau pretty quickly and get back to lower numbers. It sounds like you're doing everything right so keep it up. Remember to keep your water intake up as well. Good job!
  • Linzilla0315
    Options
  • Tashymash
    Tashymash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's really good! You should be so pleased with yourself :) Providing you are eating enough (which it sounds like you are) then weight loss can almost never be too much at once! Like you said, a lot of it will be water weight, so weight loss will eventually slow a little, but your body will tell you if it's not getting enough. You said you feel fantastic, so clearly your body is enjoying itself at the moment! Enjoy it while it's here instead of worrying :D
  • DaNae9402
    DaNae9402 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you were breastfeeding. You burn a lot of cals with that. Make sure to count that in your exercise cals. Make sure you get all the calories you need to keep producing as well. Other than that if you feel good I would say congrats! It will probably slow down a little but you're doing so great!!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    a majority of what you've lost is NOT fat, it's just water, so don't worry. You won't continue to lose that quickly for long, so enjoy it while it lasts. ;) If you're not eating fast food, you've cut a TON of sodium from your diet, so there goes a TON of water weight right there.... I'd guess at least 10lbs of what you've lost is water weight, if not more. :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others said.
    The first 10% or so usually comes of fast just from the changes. Usually more water weight than fat.
    I hit a plateau at 10% then needed a kick start again to break it.
  • Linzilla0315
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I really feel like I am doing this the healthy way and like I said I just drastically changed my everyday life. I had been looking for a way to turn everything around and I had downloaded bunches of calorie counting apps but when I found mfp I just did it. DaNae, I do add breastfeeding into my snacks and it takes off the 300 calories from total :) I am still producing just fine too.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    From what I read around here that's pretty normal for someone with a high starting weight. I started at 273 and lost a little over 20 lbs in the first month, after that it has consistently been 1-2lbs per week. As long as you're getting enough to eat (and it sounds like you are) I don't think you have anything to worry about, just don't be disappointed when it drops to a normal pace. :P
  • Linzilla0315
    Options
    Lol I won't!
  • Linzilla0315
    Options
    Bump
  • whipa494
    whipa494 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome work for totally overhauling your life! You must feel a million times better. Keep up the great work! :)
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's great!! You sound very happy, well done :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what everyone else said, you are fine. One minor point, I thought breast-feeding was 500 cals not 300 but I am not the best person for that question.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    brilliant, I usually lose between 7-10lbs the first week of sticking to my goals & then it tapers off to the normal loss range.

So this is probably a combination of water weight & fat loss, so don't be disheartened when it slows down to normal range.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    as you have a lot to lose, its fine, and shouldnt be an issue. in a couple of weeks it will probably slow down to losing just 1-2 lbs per week, which is the healthy way to lose weight and keep it off, so just dont be disappointed when u only see a pound loss compared to now, and keep up the good work!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what everyone else said, you are fine. One minor point, I thought breast-feeding was 500 cals not 300 but I am not the best person for that question.

I was about to post this.. :) Be careful not to go any lower as your supply may dip. Well done for the overhaul and your baby will have good quality milk for all the greatness you're eating too. Well done breastfeeding. I fed for 17 months and was STARVING if I dipped calories at all, so well done you!

Oh and just remember not to be down hearted when you 'only' lose 1 or 2lb a week.. think of the great head start you had and keep going.
  • BackinShape001
    Options
    wow you're doing amazing keep it up you are on the right track
  • Linzilla0315
    Options
    My baby is 8 1/2 months now and eating solids also , so I use the 'Older Baby' option which is 300 calories. I nursed my almost 3 year old for 17 months also! My 4 year old for 10 1/2 months :) And thank you guys :) I won't be worried when my rate of loss goes down. I think this large jump start will help keep me motivated!
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Have just lost an amazing amount in the first week also but like already said, a lot of it will be water especially if you have been eating lots of take aways & processed foods as I have.

Still is weight loss & that is good so keep at it and expect it to slow down somewhat.