DIET LOBSTER?

Options
BlueJean4114
BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
We are having lobster tomorrow for a birthday,
any way to cook lobster
without having that having that butter/garlic dip?

HOW DO YOU SERVE LOBSTER? ANY TIPS OR SUBSTITUTES FOR THE BUTTER-DIP?

(not sure if we are having just tails or boiled lobsters, so recipe ideas for either is welcome)
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    Options
    BUMP:wink:
  • ruadh
    Options
    To me, a boiled lobster is already a diet food. (114 calories for a 1 pounder) I melt 2 tbsp of butter to go with it and dip very lightly. Don't cover the whole piece in butter, just a bit of it. I also squeeze the juice of a lemon on to the lobster or into the butter. I find I use less butter that way. I normally only use about half of the butter and then record it as 1 tbsp used (104 cal). There is nothing so good a lobster dipped in butter. Enjoy your meal. It's always been my favorite.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    THANKS!!!! GOOD TO KNOW that lobster already IS a low calorie food! Maybe i will use a bit of butter then....
  • FitGma63
    FitGma63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We broil lobster tails and they are usually so sweet I don't even use butter. I also like to boil one to cut up in my salad. I want to find a slimmed down version of lobster bisque, just don't know if that's even possible! Enjoy.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Um.. yeah, lobster is already low calorie. You don't have to eat it with butter if you don't want to, it's not a requirement.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Mmmm for the the price of lobster, I would just make it how I love it and fit it into my calories. All for the butter sauce!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I never use butter, if I add anything while eating lobster its fresh squeezed lemon.
  • throgmar
    throgmar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Butter ruins lobster.

Just stick it your your mouth, chew, and, swallow.

Seriously. Don't over cook it and you won't have to bury it in grease.
  • HocuttsX3
    Options
    Lobster is low calorie no matter how you cook it!! I grew up in NH so I have had lobster every which way. I personally LOVE grilled tails. You could also use a spray butter to lightly cover the meat after it's cooked to help reduce the amount of butter you use. If your cooking an entire lobster boil them... then pull apart.. then squeeze real lemon juice all over them. Soak well... then... either melt butter and dip OR spray with butter spray.

Lobster is SUPER yummy with corn and roasted veggies or on a spinach salad!!

AWESOME source of protein!!!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    steamed lobster tail is awesome, and low cal. i started swapping out cocktail sauce for the butter. not the best swap ever, but i tend to eat a lot of butter sauce.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    I'm with Hocutts, I grew up in NH too and have had lots of lobster. I love it either grilled like she said or streamed. When its made right, you really don't need anything on it. But if you do decide to use butter, just lightly dip. I prefer mine without anything.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    steamed lobster tail is awesome, and low cal. i started swapping out cocktail sauce for the butter. not the best swap ever, but i tend to eat a lot of butter sauce.

The cocktail sauce is tomato-based, so not as big a calorie hit as butter or a butter-based sauce.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I dilute my butter by at least 50% by adding lemon juice. This way I don't have to keep squeezing more lemon onto the lobster and I don't feel guilty about the butter since I'm not really using that much. Enjoy!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!!!!!!!
    I dilute my butter by at least 50% by adding lemon juice. This way I don't have to keep squeezing more lemon onto the lobster and I don't feel guilty about the butter since I'm not really using that much. Enjoy!

Enjoy the lobster!!!
  • ruadh
    Options
    Some great ideas! I hadn,t thought about the butter spray. It has 0 calories and It works very well on corn on the cob. Why not on lobster? I will try it on my next lobster along with lemon juice. Thanks for the idea. That would really cut down on the calorie intake that could then be used for other yummy treats.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH!!:flowerforyou:

SUCH GREAT IDEAS!! :drinker:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to have lobster is to BBQ it. Basting with Lemon and garlic (and butter...). But you can totally do it without as well. It will still be fantastic. But regardless, I would say baste with the lemon and garlic. It adds so much flavor, less tempting to reach for all that hot butter.
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm a newfie i love my lobster boiled and nothing else hehe
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I made baked lobster tails (for the first time EVER) for valentine's day last year- I did mine the healthy way, my boyfriend's not so much. His was covered in butter, garlic, and seasonings wrapped in foil and baked... He liked it, of course (he likes anything that incorporates butter and garlic). But mine, I sauteed some garlic in 2 tbs. olive oil until the oil absorbed the garlic flavor and poured that over the lobster tail, seasoned with some lemon and garlic/Italian seasoning and baked in foil. When it was finished, I gave it a couple spritzes of butter spray. Honestly, I thought it tasted better than my boyfriends version.

For the first time making them, both ways tasted great, but mine was WAY lower cal but super flavorful.