Net Calories Question! Please Answer If Any Advice

Options
I have just worked out how many calories I need to lose weight according to my TDEE on the following website:

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

The details I entered were:
Weight: 175 lbs
Height: 161 cm
Activity Level: Moderate (I work out 4/5 times a week for about 30 - 40 mins - average burn of 300 - 400 calories)
Aim: To lose 1kg in 2 weeks (will keep redoing this regularly if, and when, my goal is achieved)

The website came back with:
Results:
(I'm guessing maintenance calories) of: 2331 and my weight currently as 79.38kg
Week 1: my calories should be 1779 and my weight would be 173.53lbs
Week 2: my calories should be 1773 and my weight would be 172.43

So would my calories be 1779 before or after exercise as TDEE includes exercise? So should I not log my exercise or should I log it and eat extra calories?

Hope my question makes sense
z

Replies

• ashtonvv
    Options
    the 2300 and something is your maitenence, the 1700 and something is your allowed daily intake, at the deficit. If you workout, those are extra calories you can either eat back or just leave them.
  • SaintsGal
    Options
    the 2300 and something is your maitenence.

This is what I thought was my maintenance level so thank you for clarifying that :)
    the 1700 and something is your allowed daily intake, at the deficit. If you workout, those are extra calories you can either eat back or just leave them.

Now does the 1700ish calories already include the exercise calories as I input my activity level? So do I eat the calories (300-400 per workout 4/5 days a week) back or not? This is where I become confused as I don't think I should eat them back but would just like this clarifying.

Thank you once again for all your advice.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good info here - If you follow this roadmap to figure you BMR and TDEE for you 20% cut your exercise burn is built in and you do not need to chase after them. Be sure to find you body fat % and include it in your calculations as it can change your numbers

BMR - don't eat below
    TDEE - eat 20% less

BMR- calories your body needs to function if your in a coma
    TDEE - total calories your burn in a day - it includes your BMR and your activity burn - both just being up and around as well as you exercise burn
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ Same link I provided in the other thread.
  • SaintsGal
    Options
    Thank you so I have worked out that my BMR is roughly 1600 and after entering the information on the site above it came back with the calorie requirements above so has the website already done these calculations for me?

x
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The 1779 is the energy availability after factoring in the deficit which was subtracted from your predicted TDEE of 2331. The deficit of 552 is the sum of eating less and exercise calories. So you have several choices:

1)Eat 2331 calories and engage in 550 calories of total exercise to hit the goal of 1779.
    2)Eat 1779 calories and engage in 0 exercise to hit the goal of 1779 (not recommended).
    3)Eat 1981 calories (350 less) and engage in 202 calories worth of total exercise (preferred option).

You can adjust 3) estimates to your liking but its recommended you assume most of the deficit from eating less, and do a little bit of cardio to complete the remaining deficit.
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    MFB does a calc for you but it does not use your current body fat as a modifier. This can realy change your BMR or don't go below number. Also the cut it gives you is based more on what you say you want to loose in a week rather than what is realistic based on how close you are to goal. A 30% cut from TDEE is safe if you are obese, 20% if just overweight and if you are within 10 lbs of goal a 10% cut is more realistic.

To large of a deficit will slow/stop your loss - less is not always more!
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Edit: What GeekyJock said.
  • SaintsGal
    Options
    The 1779 is the energy availability after factoring in the deficit which was subtracted from your predicted TDEE of 2331. The deficit of 552 is the sum of eating less and exercise calories. So you have several choices:

So the 1779 is what I should be eating in order to meet my 2 week goal of losing 1kg.
    1)Eat 2331 calories and engage in 550 calories of total exercise to hit the goal of 1779.
    2)Eat 1779 calories and engage in 0 exercise to hit the goal of 1779 (not recommended).
    3)Eat 1981 calories (350 less) and engage in 202 calories worth of total exercise (preferred option).

So if I ate 1779 calories but also went to the gym and burnt 400 calories would I need to eat the 400 calories back or not? As the exercise deficit is already included?

x
  • 2hobbit1
    Options

So the 1779 is what I should be eating in order to meet my 2 week goal of losing 1kg.

So if I ate 1779 calories but also went to the gym and burnt 400 calories would I need to eat the 400 calories back or not? As the exercise deficit is already included?

x

Yes! You eat the extra 400 otherwise you NET would only be 1379
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    To lose your projected weight in x amount of time, you need to create a calorie deficit. The deficit given to you is 552 calories below your TDEE of 2331 calories.

The 552 deficit comes from BOTH eating less and exercise. In other words, if you only eat 1779 calories and burn 400 at the gym, you are increasing the deficit to 952. If you wish to maintain losing at the suggested guidelines, in that scenario, yes you do have to eat an additional 400 calories to hit the goal of 1779.
  • SaintsGal
    Options
    O I always thought that when you calculated your TDEE with activity level included you didn't need to eat back your exercise calories as they were already included in the deficit?

Or have I got this wrong?

Sorry but I am new to this and am still finding it confusing
    x
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    You're making this way harder than it has to be. If you read the post that another poster and I linked you to, everything is explained. You set your calories at a 20% or 25% cut from TDEE and eat that every day. Exercise will create a larger deficit on workout days, but you'll still be in a caloric deficit on non-workout days. It's that simple.
  • SaintsGal
    Options
    I probably am making it much harder than it needs to be I just don't understand so I am sorry
    x
  • christykeen
    Options
    I think the calorie amount is the total recommended for the day for your weight loss goal, if you add exercise it will be an added benefit. I wish you all the best on reaching your goals!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Have you even clicked on the link and read the "roadmap" thread? He walks you through every one of the calculations step by step and explains exactly why and how to do it. Not difficult at all.
  • SaintsGal
    Options
    Yes. According to the site I have used my TDEE currently (maintenance) is 2331 calories.

I have a goal of losing 1 kg in 2 weeks.

The activity level I chose on the site is moderate which is described as: some operational walking rather than just sedentary work, plus a little vigourous additional exercise e.g. dancing or swimming (I go to the gym 4/5 times a day and burn roughly 300-400 calories so I thought this would be best).

The website then told me I would need to eat around 1700 calories a day for 2 weeks to meet my goal.

My BMR is roughly 1600 so I would be netting above my BMR.

All I was wondering is do I need to eat the 400 calories burned in addition to my 1700 calories as I have read that if your TDEE includes an activity level including any workouts that you do not need to eat back the calories as they are already catered for.

Sorry once again for not understanding but it is confusing for me as I am new to this.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You are making this way too hard and setting yourself up for frustration. NO calculator or website can tell you accurately how much you eat to guarantee a certain rate of weight loss. Pick one of the reasonable numbers--either from here or another website, log your food as well as you can by weighing and measuring portion sizes and see how the next month goes. You already know that the exercise numbers you are using are possibly wrong because they are from the machines at the gym, so why not just get started and DO IT!!!
    Get in a lfestyle rhythm of regular exercise, proper portion sizes and cleaner eating. You will tone up. You will lose weight. You will feel better. It's not hard, it takes three times as long as you think it will it just takes patience.
  • SaintsGal
    Options
    You are making this way too hard and setting yourself up for frustration. NO calculator or website can tell you accurately how much you eat to guarantee a certain rate of weight loss. Pick one of the reasonable numbers--either from here or another website, log your food as well as you can by weighing and measuring portion sizes and see how the next month goes. You already know that the exercise numbers you are using are possibly wrong because they are from the machines at the gym, so why not just get started and DO IT!!!
    Get in a lfestyle rhythm of regular exercise, proper portion sizes and cleaner eating. You will tone up. You will lose weight. You will feel better. It's not hard, it takes three times as long as you think it will it just takes patience.

I understand what you are saying and I do do all of those things but I am just worried that I am doing myself harm due to all the scaremongering you read on this site e.g. eat your BMR, net your BMR, eat 20% less than TDEE.
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    Yes. According to the site I have used my TDEE currently (maintenance) is 2331 calories.

I have a goal of losing 1 kg in 2 weeks.

The activity level I chose on the site is moderate which is described as: some operational walking rather than just sedentary work, plus a little vigourous additional exercise e.g. dancing or swimming (I go to the gym 4/5 times a day and burn roughly 300-400 calories so I thought this would be best).

The website then told me I would need to eat around 1700 calories a day for 2 weeks to meet my goal.

My BMR is roughly 1600 so I would be netting above my BMR.

All I was wondering is do I need to eat the 400 calories burned in addition to my 1700 calories as I have read that if your TDEE includes an activity level including any workouts that you do not need to eat back the calories as they are already catered for.

Sorry once again for not understanding but it is confusing for me as I am new to this.

If you followed Helloitsdan's instructions on the Roadmap and took a 20% cut from you TDEE including exercise then you do NOT eat your exercise calories back as they are already factored in.

If you are using the MFP calculator to get your numbers then you DO eat your exercise since MFB does not include it in your calculations. They ask you about your activity only so they can help you schedule your activity.

So decide which method you are going to use - Dans is easier since you don't have to chase after our exercise calories.