Shakes!

Options
I've seen them alot around here, on peoples diaries or in the forum posts.

What are they like, are there specific ones for specific aims, i.e. weight loss, muscle growth etc.?

Is there any UK brands, as I'm in the UK, anyone could recommend to help with weight loss as an additional snack or to help plump up a meal?

Thanks for any help :3

Replies

• carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hello from across the Big Pond -- I live in Syracuse, NY. I use Whey Protein Powder (vanilla or chocolate) that I can purchase from basically any big box store (Walmart, Walgreens, RiteAid) or from a health food store. I love protein shakes (mixed with almond milk, soy milk, or skim milk) I add fresh fruits, instant coffee granules, frozen fruits. Protein is good for keeping muscle mass while losing weight. Not that I have big muscles (or any muscles --hahaha). But I find it is a filling substitute and boosts my protein levels. I took a peek at your diary and you could replace a protein shake for one of your 'chocolate treats'. It is much more filling and you'll find it doesn't spike up your sugar. Feel free to take a peak at my diary -- I think it's open to the public.

I've made a few changes in my diet along the last couple of months. I'm a big walker and on long weekends -- such as this one -- Labor Day in the States -- I've put on about 20 miles on my sneakers!!!

Hope this helps you. I'd give it a try if I were you ;-) Stay away from the pre-mixed protein shakes; you can make them healthier and cheaper on your own.
  • jla891
    jla891 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im not too far off from Syracuse! Buffalo here ...
    Im 140 pounds and cant seem to drop anything .. I dont eat "horrible"....

You recommend shakes?!?! lots of protien then?!?
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Brilliant advice, I'll have a look for it! I think I've seen it advertised in a health shop- I'll pop in tomorrow and see what they recommend!

Yes, protein and fiber help to fill you up- at least they do with me. If I feel full I feel less likely to nibble!
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was eating crap for breakfast because I am usually so rushed in the morning getting the kids to daycare and myself to work. I went to a nutrition store and asked them to recommend a meal replacement shake and also noted my goal was weight loss. I have used the same one for several months now and I love it. I traded pop tarts for a protein/meal replacement shake and stay satisfied until late morning. I would talk to someone at a nutrition store to see what options they have. I'm not sure about the UK but here most of them will refund your money or exchange products if you don't like it.
  • stephholmes83
    Options
    Tesco have some reasonably priced, Nutri 1st Original (big white tub), comes in chocolate or Strawberry I have the chocolate one and it does taste like chocolate as it should! I tried the body supreme one from asda in chocolate which was a little cheaper but tasted nothing like the chocolate it was supposed to be!

I think it was £17.50 for 1kg @ Tesco. and wasn't with the slim-fast/vitamins stuff but was down one of the aisles where they have the homewares stuff a few aisles before that (I'm sure you know where I mean haha I think where the cycling stuff was cant remember was a while ago when I bought it lol)
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im not too far off from Syracuse! Buffalo here ...
    Im 140 pounds and cant seem to drop anything .. I dont eat "horrible"....

You recommend shakes?!?! lots of protien then?!?

Hey! Take a look at my diary...I think it's open to the public. I started out HEAVIER than you are and would love to be at 170 lbs now. Only 21 lbs to go. I'm losing on the average 1lb per week. My only exercise now is walking and it seems to help lose the inches and maintain my weight. I can't see your diary; so I can't look at your %. I use the custom settings and upped the protein % to 40% (I think). I makes me fuller and I love being creative with the protein shakes. Best wishes to you!