Need help with my diary.

Options
hi. I want to start a lifestyle change tomorrow and I'm have a really difficult time filling up my calories. The problem is protein adds up too fast. So It seems impossible right now :( please give me suggestions on what to add, fix delete please. jump to september 4th to view

my stats:

f
5'3
sedentary
153 lbs

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I may have good news for you then! MFP sets the protein goal far too low for an active person, and you should aim to get more.

At 5'3", you probably need about 100 grams of protein per day in order to preserve muscle mass while losing weight. :bigsmile:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    MFP sets your protein at a very low level as a default = you can change it on your goals page - many use 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat as their macros. If you leave the default then use it as a minimum target not a max.
  • thrillpop
    Options
    someone told me on another thread thats too much D: I feel like I can't trust anyone here...
  • thrillpop
    Options
    Hi,
    MFP sets your protein at a very low level as a default = you can change it on your goals page - many use 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat as their macros. If you leave the default then use it as a minimum target not a max.

that was my original setting actually!! (I set it myself) then someone in a thread I made said I was eating WAY too much protein for someones whose sedentary.

which one is it?
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm almost 22 and I'm either 5'3 or 5'4 i'm not sure and I just hit 151 pounds(down 6 from start). You definitely need much more protein than MFP gives you so don't worry about going over on that and don't worry about going over on fiber either.
  • thrillpop
    Options
    help? :(
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you have a history of kidney failure then the higher protein would not be a good idea. However if you don't then understand that protein is important to help you maintain you muscle mass as you loose weight. The more muscle you loose while calorie restricting the fewer calories you burn.

If you have questions then please check with your doc or a dietitian about what is right for you!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue that would cause flare ups with too much protein (renal failure, gout), there is no known upward limit of safe protein consumption. The scientists just don't know how much protein is too much.

I eat a LOT of protein, but try to get only a small amount from meat. The rest is from low fat dairy and vegetable sources. Once I bumped up my protein consumption over 100 grams a day, I felt more energized and was able to workout more often and harder.

I don't know why someone would say eating low protein is better. All the science and studies point to the fact that when losing weight, higher protein consumption is more effective.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    MFP only sets protein based on a percentage of calories using the American Recommended Percentages. But stop looking at percentages for a minute. I figured you to need (at Sedetary) at a 55g protein level. If you eat more than that then you are going to use your 1200 calories in ways that is not constructive and you will have vitamin deficiencies. Set your percent to allow you any number g over 55g (My guess is 20%). Set your carbs (read: Veggies and fruits) to 55% and have fats be the rest. Not only is this diet filling, but it is nutritous.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    someone told me on another thread thats too much D: I feel like I can't trust anyone here...

You can't. None of the information is "set in stone" except the "eat less calories than you burn" concept. But coming from a guy who lost 66 lbs in 5 months without exercising beyond caring for my kids, I know what I'm doing.
  • thrillpop
    Options

You can't. None of the information is "set in stone" except the "eat less calories than you burn" concept. But coming from a guy who lost 66 lbs in 5 months without exercising beyond caring for my kids, I know what I'm doing.

20% gives me 65 g of protein
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Perfect. Each gram of protein is 4 calories. If you ate your 105g you were eating, that's another 40 grams over and 160 calories sitting in your stomach with no job to do but be pooped out. See what I mean?
  • thrillpop
    Options

Perfect. Each gram of protein is 4 calories. If you ate your 105g you were eating, that's another 40 grams over and 160 calories sitting in your stomach with no job to do but be pooped out. See what I mean?

ok thank you!

117g of carbs seems like an awful lot though...
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    ok thank you!

117g of carbs seems like an awful lot though...

It adds up fast. Bananas are about 90 calories and about 18 g but give you a LOT of energy, LOT of healthy vitamins (see link below), and they are starchy when under-ripe so they will fill you up for a long while.

Carbs should NOT be: bread, cake, pancakes, muffins, pizza crusts, taco shells, cereal, pop tart, additives to meat products (meats should be almost 0% carb), and not "added sugars". Fruit sugars are GREAT for you. So are Starches from veggies and fruits (like potatoes). Anything made from grains is less than ideal when you're on a 1200 calorie diet; especially because they cause your stomach to get inflamed and make you want to eat more to "soothe" the inflammation.

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ok here's the low down...
    Your food is broken up into three sections....protein, fat, carbs.

MFP's protein count is very low, as many others have stated. I did some research online and found that the only complication of having too much protein is possible liver involvement and even that was at massive amounts...Focusing only on protein shakes, getting like 400 grams a day.

Carbs, are good in moderation as long as they're not empty. Fruits, whole grains, some vegetables (Gotta watch the corn and potatoes though, these used to be my 'but corn is a veggie and I'm eating it so I'm healthy! Not so much. :p) but you do not want to fill your calorie defect with carbs.

Fats: Good in moderation ...need to use unsaturated fat, I avoid transfat all together. Olives, nuts, some people like avacado....

So really, if you need to limit carbs and fats...protein is the best way to go. :)
    If you have any diet concerns, it's probably best to speak with your family doctor. They know your health history a lot better than I do. :)
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    Like another poster said, if yont have kidney problems then you have no reason to worry about high levels of protein... I have eaten 150gr of protein or more...
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I did what I can to help. I am learning that the message boards favor a new fad diet called "Paleo" or "Primal" and it focuses on a 40/30/30 macro set. While protein is great and all (If I could eat salmon ALL day and lose weight, man would I ever do that); but the point is, there are NO, I repeat NO, nutritional value in protein other than to maintain, repair, and build muscle. Yes, protein can be broken down and used as energy (if it needs to be) but when protein is broken down for energy, it releases free radicals in the body. And again, 150g of protein each day and yet your ticker shows you haven't lost much weight. Sure, protein makes you feel "full longer", but it's not about feeling "full"; it's about being healthy and looking healthy.

Again, if you aren't an athlete or doing exercises daily, stick to the 55/20/25 and just eat healthy. You can still eat a LOT of protein this way; you just have to focus more on your nutritional needs.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    no1canadianan - 19 lbs since June is a fantastic achievement AND a healthy rate as well. It's not about the numbers anyway but finding the healthy lifestyle that's right for you.

OP, these are all opinions normally formed by what's worked for the poster, unless they are your identical twin it's no guarantee that it'll be right for you. The consistent thought does seem to be that MFP has a low level for protein by default. Try increasing it a bit to a level you feel comfortable with, see what happens for a few weeks then try adjusting (up or down) if you feel the need.

Personally I ignored the whole ratio thing but that's just me.

Good luck
  • thrillpop
    Options
    how does it look now..?
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    no1canadianan - 19 lbs since June is a fantastic achievement AND a healthy rate as well. It's not about the numbers anyway but finding the healthy lifestyle that's right for you.

OP, these are all opinions normally formed by what's worked for the poster, unless they are your identical twin it's no guarantee that it'll be right for you. The consistent thought does seem to be that MFP has a low level for protein by default. Try increasing it a bit to a level you feel comfortable with, see what happens for a few weeks then try adjusting (up or down) if you feel the need.

Personally I ignored the whole ratio thing but that's just me.

Good luck

Thank you very much :happy: