anyone use resistance bands?

Options
Jweb8969
Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
i don't have the money or the space to build a home gym right now - or the money for a gym membership. what i do have is some small, lightweight dumbells and some resistance bands. i'm making use of what i've got! ;)

does anyone else use resistance bands? so far, i am just 'making it up as i go along' with them - doing exercises both with my arms and legs ~ but would love any input / advice / direction / opinions . . . . thanks! ;)

Replies

• Jweb8969
    Options
    NO ONE?? :(
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I really only use them for warming up and pre-hab exercises. They are not a replacement for free weights.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I really only use them for warming up and pre-hab exercises. They are not a replacement for free weights.

This. I use resistance bands sometimes as part of my dynamic stretching before I lift weights. That said, it is better to work out with sub-optimal equipment than to not work out at all. Many workout videos make use of resistance bands, which might not be a bad choice if you cannot spend the money on better equipment or a gym membership.
  • Jweb8969
    Options
    thank you! :) i am mainly using them in stretching ~ but i do like them. i realize they're not a replacement for real equipment, but right now i am BROKE ~ and want to keep working out. if i don't mix up what i do, i know i will get bored.

and i did find some 'workouts' online - just wondered if i was doing myself more harm than good by using them?

thanks for the input.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I use them for a few exercises my trainer gave me.

I put one around my legs just under my knees and push outwards while I'm doing a squat as I tend to let my knees drop inward.

I use one around my ankles and do side steps (8 steps to your right, then back to where you started, 6 steps, then back, 4, then back, 2, then back, 1, then back.

then for the next set start going to your left.

There are a few others but too hard to explain lol.

Look on Youtube, there are probably some good ones on there
  • Jweb8969
    Options
    thanks! :) i will check on youtube tomorrow! ;)
  • nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have any ideas for these? A physical therapist gave me one and assigned me particular exercises to fix some back problems I was having. It worked! I got some more, but I only know a few things to do with them. I have a gym membership, but I like having these to do just a little bit at home.