Need help transitioning from summer to college

Options
This summer, I toured with an organization that kept me in awesome shape. For the entire summer, I was working out and rehearsing all day every day, and performing a high energy show every night. I was consuming around 6,000 calories a day to support my body and keep from losing too much weight. (If any of you are familiar with drum corps, that's what I'm coming from.) Now, I'm starting my freshman year of college and I'd really like to maintain a healthy physique like I earned over the summer. Obviously, I can't be at the gym all day, and I'll have to cut back on the diet as well. Any tips on keeping off the freshman 15 and staying in shape? Cafeteria tips and workouts I can do in my dorm room would be especially appreciated!

Replies

• RebeccaJoyy
    RebeccaJoyy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't you just love drum corps!?!?

I lost 30 lbs when I marched DCI!

My only suggestion would be to make the right choices! Eat the right food, and continue to work out!

Everyone does not gain the freshman 15, just take care of yourself!
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1. Check to see if your dining halls offer nutrition information online. That way you can look up what they have before you get there and know exactly what you want and can skip all the things you shouldn't.

2. Take advantage of the salad bar. You don't have to eat a salad, but a lot of times they will have fresh fruit and vegetables at the salad bar that you can add to you meals.

3. Just because there is a lot of food in dining halls doesn't mean you have to eat everything. Instead of getting ice cream AND a cookie, pick one.

4. Take advantage of the school's rec center if you have one! Even if you just use the elliptical machine or walk around the running track, just try to get moving.

5. Don't keep too many snacks in your dorm room. That leads to bored/stress snacking.
  • ronicourtney
    Options
    I didn't gain the" freshman 15". My advice, is eat as healthily as you can and walk to class, every opportunity you get. My campus is small enough for me to walk to all my classes, so unless it is raining or I am running really late, I walk to class and end up walking 30-45 mins a day in addition to exercise!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well, since it sounds like you're living on campus (since you said dorms afterall) make sure you make excellent use of a gym or workout facility on campus. Some schools even have them in the dorms. My freshman year, there was a small workout center right downstairs with treadmills, ellipticals, and stationary bikes. Also, take a jog around campus when you can. You may just find some stuff that you may not have known about/forgot about.

As for cafeteria choices, just don't go for the greasy pizza all the time, fried chicken strips, french fries, or the disgusting pasta (ours always tasted like rubber). There are always healthy choices, such as subs, salads, grilled options, etc. I spent a lot of time in the line for "spinning salads" at my school freshman year. You know what healthy food you like, and healthy food is hidden between the greasy crap on campuses, but it's there. Promise :) Even my campus now offers healthy food, but you have to hunt for it between Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. Good luck!