Sweet Potatoes

Options
Does anyone have any interesting recipes that include sweet potatoes? Since it's almost Fall, I'm going to be buying them often, and I want to be able to make different recipes incorporating them. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    loooove sweet potato fries. also love to boil them then mash them and add cinnamon sugar and a little butter
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I peel and quarter them, toss them in EVOO, splenda, cinnamin, and a little allspice, then roast them. They are delish!
  • spinachsmoothies
    Options
    I posted in a sweet potato burrito recipe a few weeks ago. Super delicious. Sweet potatoes and black bean burritos - you should be able to find a thread if you search for it.
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I blogged about easy sweet potato recipes a while back after reading about how Miss USA likes to eat them and some easy low-cal toppings. Check it out if you want. :)

Super easy: http://bit.ly/KF7Xjm
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I always poke them with a fork and nuke them in the microwave until they're soft, then slice them open and pour some cinnamon, splenda and salt all over. NUM NUM
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Toss them in egg whites and cinnamon so they get a nice gloss! And less calories :)

Also as a mash.....

Sweet potato hash?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I grow my own and this year I have a bumper crop so I could use some more recipes myself, especially healthy ones!

One I like to make is to peel the potatoes, slice them about 1/3 inch thick, spray with Pam and bake @400 until done. I then take some Splenda brown sugar, some melted butter (I use land o lakes light butter with canola oil) and a pinch of cinnamon, toss them and sprinkle a few mini marshmallows on top. They are delicious!

We also use them in foil dinners when we go camping. Put 1 serving of lean hamburger, a bit of onion, diced sweet potatoes and any other veggies you like cut up in small pieces into foil. Seal tightly and cook over a grill until done. Yummy!
  • JacklynOBr
    Options
    I've been doing something like aclay29 - sweet potato black bean tacos! Whole wheat soft wraps, with cubed sweet potato (baked at 350 for an hour), and black beans with a little bit of garlic powder tossed in, then I dip the taco in plain greek yogurt!
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I bake them or cut them into big chunks and grill them with a little dusting of olive oil & Italian seasoning. Sweet potato fries are good too. If you're roasting a bird or something you can cube them and put them in with some carrots and let it all cook together.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I've been doing something like aclay29 - sweet potato black bean tacos! Whole wheat soft wraps, with cubed sweet potato (baked at 350 for an hour), and black beans with a little bit of garlic powder tossed in, then I dip the taco in plain greek yogurt!

That sounds so good. :)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Roasted in jacket

Nuk for a minute or two to soften a bit then peeled and cut in medallions - then saute in a little butter and maple syrup sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice.

Peel and chunk, place in dutch oven with chunks of granny smith apple, add one can frozen OJ, sprinkle with brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice cover and bake at 350 until tender. Stir every now and then to coat with the sauce.

Chunk them up along with carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc, toss with EVOO sprinkle with rosemary and roast till tender.
  • Synchrogirl18
    Options
    I simply cube them and steam them for 7 minutes. Done. Perfect. No salt, sugar, or anything. I use organic (so I can eat the skin) garnet yams (which are actually sweet potatoes)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Thanks for all the good ideas. :)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I boil them until they are cooked through and easy to peel. Then I add a little butter, cinnamon, vanilla and spreadable honey and mash them. Sometimes I also mix some crushed pineapple too. If I want it a little stiffer, I put the mashed sweet potatoes in a casserole dish and bake it for about 20 minutes until makes a like a crust on the top.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6666/sweet-potato-bread-i

I make this sweet potato bread recipe, but I reduce the sugar, up the spices, and use whole wheat and quinoa flour. It's to die for.