Weight loss shakes and low cal diet plans?

Options
Hi everyone, I am wondering do weight loss shakes really work? I have been thinking about doing them. I am 24 and i need to loose about 80lbs. I am very overweight and I have been told that doing the weight loss shakes or low cal diet can help jump start my weight loss. I am going to the YMCA nightly and doing the spin bike for an hour then swimming laps (I recently toe a tendon in my leg and this is all my dr will let me do). Any tips?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You don't need any of that. It's just more yo-yo dieting and when you stop doing the extremes, you'll just fall back into old habits and put the weight back on.

Your profile says you have 60+lbs to lose. I started with 60lbs to lose. I've lost 40lbs so far by just eating less and moving more. You can do that too! Make small changes you can live with for the rest of your life.
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do what works to be honest. I'm not a fan of weight loss shakes because I think healthy eating should be a lifestyle change--and if you're down to have them forever then all the power to you!

The reason I love this site is that a commitment to veggies, fruits, and lean proteins while watching your calories, carbs, and fat content will be the best way to lose weight and keep yourself happy. This way you'll lose the weight happily and you're unlikely to quit and binge. (I used to binge alllllll the time, until I just tried to eat healthy overall.)

You don't have a long way to go! With the training, it'll come off faster than you think! Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am wondering do weight loss shakes really work? I have been thinking about doing them. I am 24 and i need to loose about 80lbs. I am very overweight and I have been told that doing the weight loss shakes or low cal diet can help jump start my weight loss. I am going to the YMCA nightly and doing the spin bike for an hour then swimming laps (I recently toe a tendon in my leg and this is all my dr will let me do). Any tips?

They don't do anything special, and usually most people find eating meals vs drinking meals more satiating
  • sionnain
    Options
    They work because they make you feel full on a very low amount of calories. No different than any other high protein/fiber low calorie thing. I like them in general even though I don't have to lose weight because they're yummy.
  • wendiv130
    Options
    I like them when I am in a hurry. I always drink a high quality one though like from Complete Nutrition. I usually mix mine with some almond milk and fruit.
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like them for breakfast when I'm in a hurry or for a snack when I don't have time to prep. That being said, they aren't magic or anything. They will not jumpstart your diet any more than eating an equivalent of calories in fruits/veggies/protein/fiber. Mine are about 170 calories, so if I was to eat 170 calories of actual food it would be similar. The plus side is they have a lot of vitamins and protein for when you are in a rush. It's really up to you though! If you wanna try it, go for it! Just make sure you learn healthy habits as well and not just to drink all your meals : ).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Shakes don't "work" unless YOU work - ie. you have to be disciplined and stick to eating a moderate amout and it's certainly helpful if you do some exercise too.
    They are one way of reducing your calorie intake, so if you want the structure and a plan to follow, then it's one option.
    Personally I think it is a better idea to work on introducing small changes into your regular diet - but it's your choice which way you want to do it.
  • valeriejean1407
    Options
    I'm doing the SlimFast diet to help me with my weight loss. But it's true what everyone else has said - they don't work unless YOU work. It still requires a lifestyle change with including exercise, fruits and veggies, and strict adherence to the diet. But it has helped me a lot in following a structured plan.
  • krystal_black
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I have been going to the YMCA daily. I am a bone cancer survivor and put on a lot of weight during the surgeries and I had a hormone based chemp that caused some weight gain as well. I am now in remission and am looking to get my cute body back haha. I was thinking I would work on one habit at a time. I recently started preparing meals a week ahead and using proper portions/protein/veggies etc. I have been completeing a cross country workout on the spin bike which the machine tells me I burn 400 calories, then I swim laps in the pool for 20minutes.