Halloween--giving out Hershey's Kisses?

Options
126siany
126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
My mom has apparently been inspired by my brother's recent weight loss so she decided to send me home with three bags of Hershey's Kisses. She said I could give them out at Halloween.

On the drive home, it occurred to me that they don't look very safe as individual kisses as the wrappers aren't sealed. I have a feeling that the children's parents would make them throw these out.

Thoughts?

(And I have no problems hanging onto the candy--I think Hershey's Kisses are a miserable excuse for chocolate so I'm not tempted in the least.)

Replies

• Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't think sane people would throw them out, but it's kind of crappy to give out months-old candy.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't think sane people would throw them out, but it's kind of crappy to give out months-old candy.

It's 3 sealed bags of Kisses. I doubt what I would buy in the store would be any fresher. Do you plan on driving to the Hershey plant and getting them fresh off the line? :huh:

But thanks for letting me know that some parents might not immediately chuck them when the kids returned home.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    /shrug I always ate my kisses that was in my trick or treat bag lol...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I always thought that, too. But I think most parents would let their kids eat them.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    I wouldn't allow my kids to eat them, because they could be tampered with. But if it came from a friend that would be fine. I'm just over careful.
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I don't think I ever got hershey kisses in my trick or treat bag, but if I did, I probably wouldn't eat them. You could donate the sealed bags to like a church or something. I doubt they would chuck them out because churches usually have their own halloween stuff going on, and if the bags are sealed, they obviously haven't been tampered with, so the kisses inside would be fine because I don't think their preacher would want to poison the kids. haha! Just a thought if you are super worried about it.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    I let my kids eat them. and they are all still alive and healthy :)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    nothing to do with freshness but sickos putting needles or other crazy **** into the childs candy and resealing.

i would probably make my kids toss them, you could always donate them to a shelter :)
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    My kids only trick or treated to neighbors that we know so I'd be fine with it.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My kids only trick or treated to neighbors that we know so I'd be fine with it.

those would be the first ppl to poison your kids
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I let my kids eat them. and they are all still alive and healthy :)

Same here.... The horror!
  • I'll be honest, We chuck anything that isn't sealed. Tootsie Rolls, Lollipops, Sugar Daddies, etc... Anything that is twisted shut, gets chucked. Way too many crazies in the world to shrug that off. Maybe if I knew my neighbors a little better, but seeing as how we're in an apartment complex and people come and go, that's a little difficult. But for me, My kids would chuck.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i give out real kisses ;)

hahahaha jk
  • relucas81
    Options
    Do those of you fretting about poisoned candy, needles, etc. realize that there has never been a documented case of anything like that actually occurring. (Not that someone won't decide to do it at some point)
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I wasn't allowed to eat anything that was wrapped like that after I brought home trick or treat candies. I wouldn't let my child eat them either, unless I knew who they were from.
  • BleauBlayzes
    Options
    Make a bunch of Peanut Butter Kiss cookies and donate them to local shelters and kitchens.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My mom would say they had needles or something like that in them. You should put them in the freezer and wait till christmas and make those cookies with the kiss in the middle then give them as gifts.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Has there ever been an instance of tainted Halloween candy? Or is it some stupid urban legend?
  • MsMandy23
    Options
    anything could be tampered with- if someone wanted to inject something into candy they could do it with any type of wrapper. If you live in a safe area I'm sure no one would be that over-protective.
  • MsMandy23
    Options
    hyperfang in st. louis a few years ago someone put a razor blade inside an apple they gave out for Halloween and the kid was eating it and got their mouth all cut up. Also last year some kid had to be hospitalized from some candy that was contaminated with some chemicals (they were sure if it was on purpose)