Ideas please.. from fitness freaks

Options
Hi Guys.. I want to set a goal of a physical challenge -- not just lose weight. Some goal to focus on to make getting fit more fun. A marathon is the most average goal -- but seems boring to me.

My husband and I are looking for something interesting and motivating -- we love travel and adventure. We want something outside the box. We love nature and even urban life too. I envision maybe a cool canoeing trip? Or a bike ride through a cool city? I dunno. Can you help me think of some great physical challenges we can set out sights on as we get in shape.
Thanks.

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing trip? Week hike into the bottom of the grand canyon? Zombie / mud / spartan race somewhere?
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Triathlons
    Thru-hikes
    Spartan Race/Tough Mudders/Urbanathlon
    MS 150 bike rides
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    White water rafting in the Grand Canyon, backpacking, or cycling trips or horseback trip. All would need cardio and some upper body strength Training could be on hills hiking,running carrying weighted packs cycling swimming and obsticle courses. Good Luck
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Cross country skiing trip in the back country, yurt to yurt?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    audition for American Ninja Warrior next season.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • txmaryk
    txmaryk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you like bike riding why not train for the STP. The Seattle To Portland bike ride is a 202 mile bike ride every summer that starts in Seattle and you ride to Portland. Some people complete the ride in one day most complete it in 2 days and it is really gorgeous country to ride through. Not your typical marathon.

You could start training now for next summer and make your training a virtual ride from your home to Seattle.

Place a map on your wall and add each days training mileage to the map and see all the great cities and country roads you traverse. By the time your miles add up with your virtual ride it will be time to go to Seattle for the ride. People come in from all over the world for this ride. You could fly into Seattle a few days early and explore the city, ride to Portland and spend a few days in the most bike friendly city and then fly home. A great summer week vacation.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    audition for American Ninja Warrior next season.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I saw a guy burst his eardrum on that show

To the OP: Warrior dash, tough mudder, other mud/obstacle runs (there's a foam one with a slip n slide), rock climbing competitions/challenges (most rock gyms hold them), pick a certain trail/mountain you want to hike.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would personally like to take a week-long mountain biking trip at Moab. Had a friend take a guided tour a few years back and said it was awesome. I personally hate road/city biking...too boring...riding on fun off-road trails is more my speed. Unfortunately, I don't see that in my future in the near term...have to wait for the kids to get older before I could get away for something like this or take the family.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    wow! I'm smiling ear to ear. What great ideas...I never knew where out there. Thanks!!!
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of Tough Mudder or an equivalent...it's a great experience.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    i know many people who have been taking bike tours in Europe, riding from one town to the next, with your luggage forwarded for you. Some are guided, others are self-guided, which lets you determine the route you want to take and exactly how far you want to ride each day.
    I had knee surgery back in January, and I want to climb a mountain as soon as it gets strong enough -- Mt. Whitney in California, probably.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Become a Marine.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    Hi Guys.. I want to set a goal of a physical challenge -- not just lose weight. Some goal to focus on to make getting fit more fun. A marathon is the most average goal -- but seems boring to me.

My husband and I are looking for something interesting and motivating -- we love travel and adventure. We want something outside the box. We love nature and even urban life too. I envision maybe a cool canoeing trip? Or a bike ride through a cool city? I dunno. Can you help me think of some great physical challenges we can set out sights on as we get in shape.
    Thanks.

Death Ride is a bike ride everyone wants to do who is into cycling here in California but the Climb to Kaiser is a lot tougher... Both are serious challenges and only for very fit cyclists.