Disappointed

Options
I was doing really well But I think I was losing weight too fast because I was going hungry. But I have gone back to my old habits. I began eating ice cream everynight. I began drinking pop again. What is wrong with me. And now that I got a job I don't if you can use that as excerise. Someone help me. please.

Replies

• sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Other people can only help you if you want to help yourself.
    No one else can do this for you, you have to own it.
    Why did you want to lose weight in the first place?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how anyone here can help you :( If you know that you're eating ice cream every night, and drinking soda, we can't make you stop! YOU have to do it for you!

However, if you eat less carbs, you'll tend to crave them less, and at the very least, drink diet soda; at least you're not flooding yourself with calories that way. For me, eating more protein really helps to stay full, and meat with fruits are my winning tricks! I also eat a lot of greek yogurt and cottage cheese, but those are my 'go to' foods for snacking.

I can't really HELP you, but I wish you GOOD LUCK :)
  • fat2fit33
    Options
    I want to lose weight to feel good about myself and look for in clothes again
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight to feel good about myself and look for in clothes again
    Do you want that more than the ice cream? Or do you want the ice cream more?
  • mrsearlywine
    mrsearlywine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time giving up pop completely, so I have one diet pop per day & I LOVE SoBe flavored water! (I get tired of plain water)...
    I also have placed my exercise bike in living room & use it more, now that it's in my face - plus I can watch TV while on it! IT'S OK - EVERYONE GOES THRU ROUGH PATCHES, BUT YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! YOU HAVE TO REMIND YOURSELF OF YOUR GOALS & HOW MUCH BETTER YOU FEEL WHEN YOU MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES! :)
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    it's really hard sometimes to stay motivated. This journey is really a very mental one. If your head doesn't buy into it, it can be really hard to follow through with the eating and exercise. It is a choice and no one can make you want this. Maybe try making small changes. Just don't give up!
  • happythermia
    Options
    It sounds like you were maybe started off eating too little. You should use a calculator like this:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

And see how many calories you should be eating a day. A lot of people get started off WAY low!

It gets discouraging when you are losing so much so fast (which in the beginning, is really water weight) and then see the scale stop.

Get into your fridge and throw out the junk! Tomorrow is a new day :-)
  • pbrazina
    Options
    Soda is bad for you, regular or diet..... if you want, get some seltzer and add some fresh squeezed lemon or lime or oranges as that is a healthier alternative.

As far as ice cream, frozen yogurt is usually a better alternative.

Hopefully with all of these comments on your thread, it gives you a bit more hope. Only you can have the positive will to stay on track.

I have 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt several times a week. It is not a bad snack, if consumed in limited quantities. :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You have done really well so far! You should be proud. But you have to think...what started this?

You said you met a wonderful and and that's when you wanted to lose weight. So what has changed?

You have a support system here AND where you are. You have a man who wants you to succeed. Enlist his help, if you can. And if you cant stop eating the junk, don't have it in the house. You have been doing this for a little while now. You KNOW what you need to do. You can do it again. You don't want to negate all the hard work you have done so far. No, we can't take the soda and ice cream away. Only YOU can do that. So do it...take back the control! :)
  • LishaCole
    Options
    You are responsible for your own health and well being (I have to tell myself this constantly). I have poor self control and also live 200 meters from a Dairy Queen, a steak house, and a pizza joint. I recognize this weakness in myself so I do my best to prevent myself from binging... ensuring I eat adequately throughout the day, and exercise to help with stress (I tend to "eat my feelings"). I also replace my much loved ice cream and pudding with healthier delicious options like home made sorbet (frozen berries and bananas in a blender) or avocado chocolate pudding. It's also fine to have your favourite foods if you can keep it within your goals.

Its hard to keep motivated, so ensure you celebrate your accomplishments and mix things up every once in a while. You deserve it! You've worked hard. I really HATE working out, but I love the way it makes me feel... so I try and challenge myself. For instance, I am only "allowed" to shower at home five times in the next ten days... which means I will be showering 5 times at the gym ... or I will look like a hot mess at work.
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    OK, I have a few suggestions:

1) Get rid of the food that is not on your program. Take it to work, give it away, throw it away or down the garbage disposal. You have to stop with the sugary, carby foods that are not fresh veggies or low glycemic fruits, because they are insidious. By that I mean they make you crave for more of the same, are not nutritious and not made for a person like you who is going to take the bull by the horns and do what you need to do.

2) Sit down and make yourself a food plan for the week which will include daily three small meals, and two great snacks that you like. Use a lot of variety. Include many many veggies.

3) Make a shopping list and then go to the store and buy the food you will need. This food will be nourishing, fresh, seasonal and beautiful. It will make you feel great. You are doing this because you matter. You care about yourself, you are making yourself well.

4) When you come home from the store, spend some time putting away your food, and doing some prep work. For example, I brown up turkey patties that I make myself, and freeze them in separate bags for my dinner. ( As a side note, The dog now eats tiny turkey patties, also, instead of canned dog food, in addition to her - get this - gluten free kibble - she has lost one pound and the vet is ecstatic, because she was a chubby little girl on an 18 lb frame!) Prep your veggies, cut up a cauliflower, red peppers, celery and carrots, put everything in separate bags so that you ALWAYS have ingredients for a healthful meal or snack at every given time. Whatever items you like. This "ammo food" is soooooo helpful. I have mine in a big plastic box in the refrig, and inside the box are my sacks of individual clean, chopped items, ready to go for a yummy meal. I also have my Greek yogurt, my blueberries, unsalted health food peanut butter ( a special treat that I have learned to eat exactly three teaspoons of, and then put away the container). I also make up a batch of lentils or black eyed peas or black beans and have 1/4 cup (cooked) for dinner or included in my main meal lunch salads.

5) Make a food chart and a weight chart for your daily weigh ins. This is helpful for me, I look back to certain dates to see where I got "stuck" on a certain weight for days, and where I was when I had lunch with so and so, for example. I really use them. I look at these often, and think how proud I am that I no longer weigh that, and I am far below that weight now. To me, those old weights are detritus that I am rid of, and I am beyond it now, working toward my goal, committed, focued. But I bless that person that I was, because she had the courage to stand up and take back the body, the life and now she can help others, possibly.

Read some of the inspiring stories of your co MFPers, and then look up Arthur's Inspiring Story on You Tube.

OK I got a little long winded. But I think you get the gist. All the best - you can do this. Any questions, just please ask. I am on the journey with you, pulling for you, too. LeeAnn
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    you are doing really good! if you weren't getting enough to eat you should increase a little without going overboard. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water as my mama would say. It's not all balck and white. There's lots of gray area because you want to lose weight but your diet and fitness plan needs to be sustainable for the future so you can maintain the lifestyle. You just need to find your rhythm and work out the kinks as they come. Take it a day at a time and you'll be fine. keep up the good work!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were maybe started off eating too little. You should use a calculator like this:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

And see how many calories you should be eating a day. A lot of people get started off WAY low!

It gets discouraging when you are losing so much so fast (which in the beginning, is really water weight) and then see the scale stop.

Get into your fridge and throw out the junk! Tomorrow is a new day :-)

^^^^^^ This!^^^^^^
    Here is a thread that walks you through how to do this. You don't have to starve to loose!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    STOP DOING THAT!!!!!!

There... did that help?
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You have to look at the reasons why you're letting yourself eat the ice cream and pop. Are you bored or are you craving the sugar? If it's an emotional reason, I suggest finding the source or else the pattern will repeat itself. Once you find it, get out and do something. Play a game, create something or pamper yourself. Find other ways to make you feel better other than food.

If it's sugar you're craving you're just going to have to go through withdrawl like any other addictive substance.
    Remember you are in control of you. It will feel uncomfortble, but it's not painful and it's not going to hurt you...it's going to make you stronger!
    Doctors of brain injury patients tell thier patients to fix thier brain with their mind! Use your mind to help you gain control
    You know what you want, don't let immediate satisfaction stop you from acheiving your goals!!
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having a rough patch. I go through those days now and again. I think coming here and writing about it says that you know it's not what you want to do. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps and keep on keepin' on. Tomorrow is a new day that you can choose to start over.

Go over to the Success Story section and read other peoples successes. I try to read them daily and it reminds me that *I* too can do this. And so can you! You are worth it. :)
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    In the past if I deprived myself of foods I liked such as icecream I would end up "giving up" and just eating lots of junk. Now I incorporate these things in but in much smaller portions than I was. Other people work better by cutting out these things completely to stop cravings but if you can enjoy in moderation give it a try. I would also suggest getting rid of temptation. If I want chocolate bar for example I will go and buy one bar rather than keep a multipack in the cupboard at home or I am liable to binge on them. I know how difficult it can be when you lose focus, keep going though you'll get there.
  • hptexbrit
    hptexbrit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really recommend buying a Fitbit. It calculates how many calories you burn even when you arent exercising. It will help to keep you motivated and you will see that you are burning more then you think! Dont give up! Click on tools to learn about the Fitbit.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Other people can only help you if you want to help yourself.
    No one else can do this for you, you have to own it.
    Why did you want to lose weight in the first place?

I agree with this. Ice cream or pop/soda isn't bad for you. You just have to fit it into your calories. You don't have to give up anything. You just have to learn on how to incorporate those foods into your diet. It's hard. We all know it. It's finding out what works for you.

Most of all, you have to have the willpower.