Low Carb? How low do ya go?

Options
So I am familiar with low carb-Adkins type eating; have no interestin going there again. I need to lose around 15 pounds and have been working at it for a little over a month. I am looking at really just cutting out white stuff but my question is how many grams of carbs is reasonable? Ive tried to hit around 100grams with mixed results. (Note: do not look at the past few days of my diary-Labor Day weekend has been tough :-). Or do you have to go extreme to get the weight loss? Thanks!

Replies

• newtrx
    newtrx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh- and do you count total or net carbs?
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs, not total. When I did true low carb 12 years ago, I followed Protein Power, and limited myself to about 30g a day net. Now I'm trying to stay a bit more balanced between protein, fat, and carbs and eat closer to 60-90g of carbs per day. I'm trying to get my weight moving after a long stall, so my calories are low right now. I eat most of my carbs as veggies, fruit, and limited whole grains.
  • newtrx
    newtrx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is at a standstill for 45 days. I lost 24 pounds over the past18 months but now notta!! So frustrating!
  • kcarpen3
    Options
    The Keto Diet is about 20g total per day, I love my carbs so it was difficult for me to stick to and I gave in after a measly 4 days, but during those 4 days I was down about 6 pounds. My friend has been on something similar to a Keto Diet for about 3 weeks now and is down 25 pounds. It is strict, but you can still find tasty meals!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I started at 30g about 6 months ago (total, I can't be bothered with faffing about with compensating for fiber) and moved on to 50g about 2 months ago which I have pretty much stuck to and like.

I don't bother with peeing on sticks to make sure I am in ketosis, the results rock so I just plow on :)

I prefer to think of it as 'Adequate Carb' :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Oh- and do you count total or net carbs?
    Being in the UK I just read the carbohydrates off the label, as fibre is accounted for under its own heading.

I f I meet a US nutrition labeI do the subtraction, as otherwise flax / linseed is 33% carbs not the 3% it is really.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just try and keep my total carbs under a 100g each day but since I cut out grains and starchy vegetables my carbs usually are around 30g-60g a day.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical need to cut back on carbs then don't. I personally keep mine under 30g because my body sucks. However, cutting back on refined carbs, such as white bread and pasta etc isn't a bad thing in any case.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you might want to try this one....I just started a new diet wher you "cycle" your carb intake into aout four low carb days, tow medium carb days, and then one high carb day. On low carb days you go or .5 of body weight; medium carb days 1.5 per lb of body weigh, and 2.25 on your high carb day. You also should try to minimie carb intake at night. I have been doing this for about a week and a half and have gone from 170 to 167 and 18% body fat to 17% body fat.