"Go-to" Lunches

Options
molliepw
molliepw Posts: 74 Member
Hey all! What are some "go-to" lunches that are easy to prep for the week and that are also tasty?

Replies

• salem9348
    Options
    peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can be refrigerated or frozen for a week or so.
    Campbells Select Harvest soups.
    Wolfgang Puck Organic Soups.
    tomato, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar.
    vegetarian chilli.

add an apple, 100 calorie cottage cheese, or yogurt to these and there ya go.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have pre made some rice, added some garbonzo beans, will add some avocado and green sauce or salsa. If you do cheese that would be good and lettuce.

I use leftovers to make my lunches.
  • NancyNBS
    Options
    peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can be refrigerated or frozen for a week or so.
    Campbells Select Harvest soups.
    Wolfgang Puck Organic Soups.
    tomato, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar.
    vegetarian chilli.

add an apple, 100 calorie cottage cheese, or yogurt to these and there ya go.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    The green giant steamers are yummy! They are 180-250 cal depending on the type. My fav is mac&cheese with broccoli. my hubby likes the rice. We always have them around because he likes them for snacks. I also like the smart ones mini pizza and turkey bacon quesedillas.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    BUMP.

Starting classes on Wednesday so looking for ideas myself.

I love my old standby of PB&J but some variety would be nice @_@
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and protein bar---no prep.
    Salad ,but requires prep time, I make the day before and keep dressing seperate in a little condiment cup
    I don't eat fruit,but it is a good option with some sort of protein like cottage cheese
  • I_can_do_this2
    I_can_do_this2 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Leftovers - all the way. I always bring my lunch and I try to stay away from commercially prepared foods - they have so much sodium and who knows what else. Whenever we make BBQd salmon or chicken, I ensure I make enough extra for 1 or 2 lunches. I also make extra salad or cooked vegetables. Salmon on salad with a bit of goat cheese, a few pecans and a few croutons together with my homemade salad dressing - so yummy plus the lean protein and the nuts will take you through to dinner. I try to pack tomorrow's lunch when we're cleaning up from dinner. It's all ready to go in the morning - no fuss. If there's too much fuss, I won't stick with it.

Sometimes I take just raw vegetables (with a bit of ranch salad dressing for dip) plus a cold boiled egg.

I always keep a small Tupperware container of raw almonds in my desk. About 12 nuts is a good snack that will hold you for a long time and they're so good for you.

It's worth the effort - you'll eat healthier, you'll have better portion control and you'll save tons of money. What's not to love.:flowerforyou:
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    A huge plate of romaine lettuce, 2 TBS Maple Grove Farms sugar free vinaigrette and 1 drained can of water packed tuna with 1 TBS olive oil mayo. 180 calories. It seems to hit the spot. I keep forgetting to bring cottage cheese to work to add to the lunch.
  • jennyrae719
    Options
    bump
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    Leftovers are great. When I cook a filet of fish w/mushrooms/asparagus for dinner, I always have enough left over for lunch the next day. In all honesty I hardly ever cook because I haven't the time or the inclination. I usually eat at my work's cafeteria, which fortunately has a great salad bar and wrap bar.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese with anything 9garden fresh tomato's are my favorite)
    Lettuce wraps - Sunday prep is easy and you can add just about anything.
    Progresso Light soups - under 200 calories for the whole can.
    Single packs of fish and brown rice or qinooa.

Fruit is good but it NEVER holds me till dinner.

Good Luck :)
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I bought a really useful bento box from world market that has the compartments, two small ones, and a large one on the bottom. I fill the two smaller ones with fruit, cottage cheese and lettuce, then the bottom with fixings to make turkey wraps.
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from commercially prepared foods - they have so much sodium and who knows what else.

I agree! I wouldn't go with frozen or steamer meals as a lunch staple. Sticking to whole foods when you can is a great way to keep your body fueled without all the excess garbage.
    I also agree with some other posters about just packing up leftovers the night before when you're cleaning up dinner.
    One more thing you can do is prepare the week's lunches on Sunday evening (I like simple stuff I can jazz up with spices/sauces later, like chicken and brown rice or a veggie burger and quinoa -- and don't forget a large portion of vegetables!) You can even freeze a couple portions if you're concerned with freshness on say, Thursday or Friday.

Hope you find the help you're seeking!
  • hollyrlambert
    hollyrlambert Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)