Anyone considering gastric banding???

Options
After multiple attempts at weight loss for most of my adult life, I am coming to the end of my rope and considering the gastric banding procedure, specifically the realize band. Has anyone contemplated this? I am gathering as much information as possible before I meet with my doctor tomorrow. I would like to hear from others who may have already had the procedure and their results or insights. I am feeling like this may be the best option for me in order for me to lose weight and maintain the weight loss over the course of my life.

Replies

• Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Only you can know what's right for you.

For me? I didn't want to have one. Other people suggested it to me. Even went as far as to email a link or two for me. How helpful and subtle.

For me, it was about taking control. I didn't want to feel as if something else was controlling what I ate or didn't eat. I wanted, and needed for my own sanity, to take control of it and be in control of my own weight, of my own intake...to be in control of my body and life really.

Is it easy? Oh no LOL But you learn as you go, learn new habits. I see it as trying to reshape my lifestyle for...well...life LOL If I want to go out and have a bbq or a treat meal, I want to be able to do it and enjoy it. I want to have the choice to be able to eat what I want and not have something in me controlling it.

We're all different though. I'm sure it's been a good experience for many people.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My mom had gastric byass and my aunt had the lap band. They have both gained a lot of weight back and neithe of them exercise or eat the right foods. So I would say that it's a great option if you are willing to accept the lifestyle change that goes along with it. It's not a short cut or an easy way out. I hate seeing my mom and aunt just throwing away their lives and not doing a damn thing to get the best results and benefits from their surgeries.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Just had a friend have her's released due to excessive vomiting and damage to her esophagus.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    To me it just forces you to a life of eating a certain amount of food.
    On here you can limit your self a few calories under maintainance and lose the weight.

I am curious as to what methods you have tried.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it, so of course my point of view is just based on what I have read....

Even with that procedure, you are STILL required to completely change your eating and fitness habits in order to actually have success. So, if you still need to restrict calories (even more so) and you still need to be active in order to see success, why go through an invasive procedure that is known to have some very serious side effects? Maybe for some, having the procedure FORCES them to make the changes in order not to feel sick every day... bit if that is the incentive people need, that they want to avoid feeling sick, well, think about the illnesses related to being overweight.
  • waterlover11
    waterlover11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My niece just had it and finds endless ways to not lose weight or I could say "cheat". Actually, I found that Overeaters Anonymous was what finally made the difference for me. Focusing on helping another who struggles and learn how others found success in WHY they overate and then how to deal with those things we ate over, that made the difference.
    I have begun exercising this year, as I lost my thyroid through cancer and realized I was only focusing on what my food was and if I had ups and downs, well, they seemed to creep up.
    I loved the practical part of OA in learning how to live without overeating, but then just overeating is still fun sometimes and kept some of the weight on.
    i have lost 103 and have 50 left, and the past 35 was a lot easier with regular exercise and especially some weight lifting. Metabolism increasing means you can eat a bit more. Weight lifting keeps your metabolism higher for many hours. And I only do about 20 minutes a day, now that I am getting the hang of it.

Even talking 3 10-minute walks on other days burns calories and curbs my appetite.

The worst part of the band surgery is that it can easily be undone. It is often undone when someone seems to think they are at their goal weight and able to stay there. Overeating is usually an emotional thing not a physical thing.
    I think a high percentage of band folks gain it back.
    Good question!! I hope you'll let us know how you're doing and any encouragement you need.
    I highly recommend overeaters anonymous or also alcoholics anonymous (I don't have an alcohol problem, but I life the meetings being more often and available and the same philosophy exactly.)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The band just forces you to eat a smaller amount of food. This can be done without permanent surgery.
  • terelena
    terelena Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My sister had the lapband and lost alot of weight, but she has problems now with her body absorbing vitamins. She looks ashen to me and she has loose skin, she still will get sick to her stomache even after 4yrs because certain foods like (pop,beans,brocolli,cauliflower,hamburgers etc..) makes her gassy and she ends up vomiting. . As for myself I've lost 52lbs since 4/22/2012 when I just really took a good look at myself and decided to make changes by eating sensibly and workout 4-5 times a week for 1hr., then just about a month ago heard of this website and I've lost more weight by making me more aware of what I was putting in my mouth.
    I am curious as to what methods you have tried?
  • khelm31
    khelm31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the all the comments and insights. I haven't made any decisions yet, I've been doing A LOT of research on the procedure and other ways to lose weight.I have one family member who has had the lap band and did lose weight, but had several problems. I have a friend that had it done a year ago and doesn't seem to have any issues and has adopted a new lifestyle.
    As far as what I've tried: I've tried weight watchers several times for as long as 6 months with only 5 lb loss each time. The last time I had joined and was attending the meetings, the instructor literally told me she just didn't think this was going to work for me. I've worked with a personal trainer/nutritionist for 6 months and lost 10 lbs which she noted was good, but that I should have lost more weight. I have done calorie counts several times, with the last stint lasting approx. 5 months. I tried eating 1500 calories and exercising 30-45 min, 3-5 days a week doing elliptical, treadmill intervals, and weight lifting. I initially lost 5 lbs the first month, but then stalled the next two months. The last month I went down to 1200 calories and didn't make any progress. I gave up cokes several years ago and the the last 3 years have been trying to eat more organic foods, lean meats, fruits and vegetables, and whole wheat bread staying away from high fructose corn syrup and anything with hydrogenated oils. I read ingredients a lot. I've tried giving up carbs, sugar.

Could any of you share what really has made you successful. Was it a particular diet, exercise, or many things?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I wonder, if you have already been on calorie restriction "diets" and truly following them (measuring, logging, etc) didn't work, how would a gastric band change that? Doesn't the band just force you to restrict your intake? or is there some other functionality that actually helps weight loss?

(for some reason, i feel like my question sounds snarky, but I don't mean it that way.)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I kinda thought of it and one my co-workers got one. He's a total pig and I decided to follow his footsteps to losing weight the easy way. I found that self control and exercising for 400+ minutes a week was the right way of going about it. I found losing weight it was all a mental afeter you get over that bump its quite easy.

BTW my co-worker didn't lose anything from the banding ironically.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    my sister in law did one and did very well but it really does mean planning out your day because you can only have a few bites of food at once.

BTW I don't know what your weight is but for her DR to do it she had to be above a certain weight and then loose a little on her own and then they did it. I wanted one but the DRs said at just over 200 even though I felt awful I had to do it on my own.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know several people that have had the surgery and most of them are still thinner, but they have numerous health problems. Have you tried the Paleo way? If you are very strict with it.....you WILL lose weight. But just try and stay at 80% if you can't go at it 100% right at the beginning. Let your carbs come from fruits and veggies. Good luck with whatever way you choose to lose.
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I considered it, but only briefly. It still requires big changes on your part and if I'm going to make that changes, I'd rather do it without having surgery. So far I've lost a total of 125lbs without surgery. Is it easy? No, but it's worth it and I do know people that have had both Gastric bypass and the lapband. Two of the people have gained back all the weight plus some. The one that got the lapband has been having lots of problems throwing up and has been hospitalized at least 2 times since the procedure. My nephew's wife had gastric bypass and nearly died a couple of times from internal bleeding and other complications.

For me, those examples are more than enough not to do it, but others have done well with both procedures, so I can't say. It's all an individual thing. For me, no, don't want to do it. But if you do, good luck to you and you will still need to change your lifestyle.
  • trey4cubs
    Options
    my mom had it about 12 or so years ago. She has maintained the weight loss and is at a very safe weight. For the first couple years she was pretty sick because she would pretty much throw everything up. She is much better now though. There are certain things she simply can no longer eat, but other than that there haven't been any major side effects that have stuck around. Honestly, it has been pretty much a magic pill for her. she does not meticulously plan out her food or anything like that. She simply eats much less than she used too.
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had banding 6 years ago. Was it right for me? No! I know weigh more than before i was banded i did loose 34kgs in the first year but have had nothing but trouble with my fills for the last years to the stage now my surgeon wants to take it out and do a sleeve
  • 48vixen
    48vixen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    not sure where you live but very large medical facility here in so california will no longer do the banding. the doctors group that I had my surgery through will no longer do the banding. I had gastric bypass in December 2010 and have lost 160 pounds. I take my vitamins as per instructed by my doctor. I actually am trying to gain back 18-20 pounds and it's not as easy as the other people are stating. I have tried to eat the crap junk food that got me to be 265 pounds and can't! I can barely drink 4 oz of any soda. I made the choice that was best suited for ME! Not what others thought or what others told me and I heard every single horror story in the book. Any surgery is filled with complications and they tell you this up front. You do not get to walk into a medical facility and say I want the surgery today and thank you. You are put through classes you see a psychiatrist to make sure your able to handle the lifestyle changes. You have to be willing to put forth the lifestyle change. I left my husband 3 weeks after having surgery why because he was not willing to support my choice. I will not lie it is not easy and yes some of the people on here can do it themselves without surgery. I had some other medical issues that was not making that possible. So choose for yourself because no one knows better for you than you!
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am a lap band patient and I will say It is NOT a easy way out... I have been on a roller coaster ride since I had it done. I like junk food, and the band does not restrict any of it... Ice cream goes down like water, chips go down like water, candy bars ALL OF IT! So if you are in my shoes, a junk food addict.. It's not going to help the underlying issue... If you can live on the diet they tell you.. Then you will have success... If not, you will be like me, bouncing back and forth gain weight loose weight. I fall off the wagon sometimes, but I have been lucky to pick myself back up.. And more and more studies are coming out about how many people will end up having to have it removed from complications eventually... Since it was pretty new and no data was available..No one knew what the long term success was for it. I would look into it and also you are only expected to loose what 40 percent or something of your weight? I have surpassed that at 65 percent but I am still obese... I have serious issues with port pain and scar tissue pain.. Which I end up in the ER at least 5 times this past year alone.. I was to tight and thankfully knew it right away and got it corrected.. Some days I have more restriction than others.. The band has a mind of it's own I guess you can say.. I can't eat in public anymore because it is embarrassing when something gets stuck and I start to slime... It really isn't that much fun...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of getting RnY bypass surgery, or possible a vertical sleeve if the insurance will cover it. I do not know how much you know about how surgery will affect your life. Though the band less so than the other options. It is multifaceted. First, you MUST change your eating habits. If you don't, you will fail and fail hard. Or worse. It is not a magic fixit like so many people on here seem to think, it requires a great deal of post op work and a change in lifestyle.

The band is something that can work if you are relatively mobile and do not have a significant amount of weight to lose. It takes the longest of all the options to do its thing. Is prone to slippage and other issues like esophageal erosion. It is very common for people who first opted for a band to go back and get a sleeve.

My biggest word of advice for anyone considering surgery is to know what they are getting into and that it still requires work, a lot of work. If you aren't willing to do the work without the band or bypass surgery don't think that after having surgery anything will change. Be honest with yourself about what you are willing to do for the rest of your life.

I have seen people post opp do amazing things and drop weight like water in a bucket. I've also seen people fail miserably and end up hospitalized because of the poor choices they made. The surgery can and does work, but you have to work with it, not against it.
  • cleantime1st1974
    Options
    I had an RNY gastric bypass in May of 2002. I had complications post op 2-3 years but for the most part I feel good and exercise and eat 5-6 times a day (smaller meals). I would do it all over again, even though I had complications at one point. I went from 234 lbs at 5'2" to 120 in 6 months! My blood sugar levels were great, my cholesteral level went from 400+ to under 180! I did over time go through personal depression and gained back to 180 lbs but 3 years ago I took control back and have made an effort to get and stay healthy. I have dropped 27 in the last 3 years, slow but it is staying off versius fast loss and quick gain back.