Overpronation

Options
Hey everyone :-) A couple weeks ago, I started the couch potato to 5K program, but stopped due to severe knee pain and shin splints. I thought it was because I was just so out of shape. I have since figured out it is because I have very flat feet and overpronate when I run. Aside from running barefoot, is there anything I can/should do about this?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store - not one of those big chain sports equipment stores, but a small local running store - do a google search for your area. They can look at you run, analyze your gait, and recommend the proper running shoes for you. A good pair of shoes can make a HUGE difference.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Look into some motion control running shoes.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Get your shoes fitted - it is so worth it!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have overpronation, and the shoes I got from a running store corrected it. You have to go to a legit place that knows how to fit you and will watch you run. If you have a Fleet Feet in your area, check them out.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue and went to a new balance store and got fitted with motion control sneakers. Best money on sneakers I have ever spent!!!! No more foot, ankle and leg pain.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Work on strengthening you hips, do lots of squats, lunges, donkey kicks, etc. I do brazil butt lift after being told my weaknesses were causing knee pain.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right! The knee problem often comes from weakness in the hip and glutes. Work hard on strengthening the core, butt and hip as well as getting good shoes. Running may not be the best for you, so be willing to look into alternatives (bike, rowing, etc.) if you continue to have problems. Good luck!
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just did about three weeks worth of research on the right cross trainers. The best shoes for running are: Brooks (minimalist), Saucony, Mizunos (long distance), New Balance. For cross trainers the best are Pumas, Saucony, Adias and New Balance. Do your research. Good Luck!
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Please be careful with your shin splints. I was geting them and working thourgh them till I could not stand on my leg any longer. I found out I have stress fracture, now Im down for a long time. Please wear shoes, bearfoot is not alway better it can do more damage.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a shoe store like The Walking Company or Happy Feet to get yourself testing for proper ortho insoles. Basically, the ones that come in tennis shoes are extremely bad - they don't do anything for you. They are not designed to work with your foot. Mine are padded, designed to help with pronation and have helped me do more while in the past I couldn't tolerate any tennis shoe. It's not just the shoe, it's the design of the insole that matters. They even sell sport ones with antibacterial for doing athletic activities. Once you have them, go try shoes that will work with your feet and make sure the insoles fit comfortably. It was the only way for me to reduce the pain I had in my feet. I wish it were just the shoes but I went that route and spent way too much money trying to solve a problem that vanished with the right insole.
  • garvstone
    Options
    I am 300 lbs , flat footed and overpronate. I bought a pair of Brooks Beast and I am amazed at how great they are. My wife wears the ravenna;s and are also in love with them.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Beast-Best-Motion-Control-Running-Shoe/110079,default,pd.html
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run barefoot, but run on the balls of your feet. Motion control shoes aren't fixing anything, just controlling it. Pronation is irrelevant if you are not a heel striker. Pretend you have a penny taped under heel, don't let it get scratched.

At first it will really slow you down, cut into your distance, and make your calves sore. But it will get better and it will absolutely fix issues with your arch and gait as you get stronger. And you don't need special expensive shoes to help control anything, use your built-in shock absorbing system.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue and went to a new balance store and got fitted with motion control sneakers. Best money on sneakers I have ever spent!!!! No more foot, ankle and leg pain.

Same and agree 100%.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I go to La Foot in Brekeley Ca. They actually have a foot doctor there on staff who watches your stride and gives you an exam before making a recommendation on shore and insole. They helped me a great deal.
  • AngelaLang24
    AngelaLang24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's advice and input! There is a local store that my husband goes to to get fitted for his work boots. I will start there. In the meantime, I'm going to keep speed walking and biking for exercise :-)
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and ran for 20 years before I lost my arch caused by overpronation. I went to a runner's footweare store and they fitted me with Brooks motion control sneakers. Like night and day-such a huge difference. Good luck, and take it slowwwww
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Custom orthotics!
  • Culley34
    Options
    I work part-time at a running store. If you overpronate, for the sake of all things that are holy, do not run barefoot or with the minimalist shoes. It will open you up to a slew of foot / leg problems. If you're looking for running shoes - I suggest checking out the following:

Brooks - Ravenna or Adrenaline
    Asics - 2170 or Kayano
    Mizuno - Wave Inspires

All of these shoes are built for someone that overpronates, i.e., your foot collapses towards the interior of your body. What the support in these shoes is designed to do -- is stop that from happening and provide a means of stability.

All of these shoes are going to do the same thing -- it's a matter of comfort and preference. Also, don't be the person that buys shoes based on color.

I would avoid the orthotics -- either with a podiatrist or the Dr. Scholl's ones for now. I would second the comments above and go to a specialty running store, if one is available in your area. Usually, Runners World (runnersworld.com) publishes a list of stores that you can go to -- depending on your state, country etc...
    Hey everyone :-) A couple weeks ago, I started the couch potato to 5K program, but stopped due to severe knee pain and shin splints. I thought it was because I was just so out of shape. I have since figured out it is because I have very flat feet and overpronate when I run. Aside from running barefoot, is there anything I can/should do about this?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I work part-time at a running store. If you overpronate, for the sake of all things that are holy, do not run barefoot or with the minimalist shoes. It will open you up to a slew of foot / leg problems.

How does one overpronate when running barefoot? You are either smashing your heel on the ground, which should immediately be apparent that one should not do, or running on the balls of your feet. If your foot pronates while you are running on the ball, you'll pretty much fall over.

It forces you to fix your gait so that pronation isn't an issue. Your running gait is not an unchangable natural property, you can change your running gait drastically. Overpronators have lazy feet from a lifetime of wearing shoes. Giving a lazy person a more comfortable chair isn't typically a good idea.

Giving someone who is learning to walk crutches won't teach them to walk, it merely teaches them to walk with crutches.

No publication or store will ever encourage you to run on your forefoot (except when trying to sell you expensive barefoot running shoes, LOL), even though that is how we were naturally built to run. People who run on their forefoot don't need expensive running shoes, they don't need any, their body is their shock absorber. But if terrain is a problem, any old shoes will do, and you'll wear out shoes much slower as a forefoot striker.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's advice and input! There is a local store that my husband goes to to get fitted for his work boots. I will start there. In the meantime, I'm going to keep speed walking and biking for exercise :-)

sounds like a good plan. get fitted properly, i had really bad pain in my hip/butt (my piroformis (?sp) muscle gave me lots of problems. thankfully my shoes and stretching afterwards helped to correct it! nearly a year on and ive had no pain!