Nightime snacking

Options
I'm posting this then going to bed. I can do awesome all day but once everyone goes to bed, I want a little me time and always end up blowing what I did during the day. How do you guys deal with the nighttime snacking? Is that a problem for others? I know I should snack on something healthy but I'm always craving sweets at night.Maybe I should just go to bed early.LoL And do you know of any yummy low fat ,low carb, low cal sweets I can indulge in without ruining a days work?Thanks:)

Replies

• jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I eat a pickle when it gets to be that time of night. That's not even close to anything sweet, but I'm more of a salty snack lover.
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Whenever I crave something sweet in the night...rather than indulging in usual sweets such as chocolate or bars...I grab a bottle of Sobe Lifewater in the many flavors they have. It's not too sweet, refreshing and has 0 calories!
  • TheNewReen
    TheNewReen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ahh! I'm a huge midnight snacker too. It's the only time of the day I actually CRAVE anything sweet or crunchy! I won't deprive myself but I stick to stuff like a piece of dark chocolate, I make homemade skinny caramel macchiatos or tea, celery sticks or brown rice cake with some pb, carrot sticks with some homemade sweet dressing. I'll sometimes bake apple slices with a dusting of a mixture of dark sugar, plain panko crumbs & cinnamon... it's REALLY good. I've done it with peaches before too. I just try to make sure everthing is under 100 calories or so when it's late at night. Takes some time but you'll find out what works for you. :)
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    usually when i want to munch.. its either chips or popcorn. popcorn is ur best bet . get the singles or just make up plain popcorn with an air popper so no oil added and they have callorie free butter subs u can get..
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    It's usually not an issue for me until about three am, and that's only if I stay up all night. At which point I eat about three hundred calories, since it's been about six hours since a meal, y'know? and start the day's count then.

When I need sweet, I have 100 calories of yogurt or ice cream in the fridge/freezer, preportioned.
    When I need sweet/crunch, I have small 100 cal snack packs of chocolate covered pretzels.

But the first thing I always do is have a large glass of water, just to see if it's "real". If I do really need it, I don't beat myself up.

I've found other self-nurturing things to do that don't involve eating, too. I read, I watch a show all the way through without interruption online, and I do things that make me feel good physically that aren't eating.
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE late night snacker. What I was taught and it works pretty well is when you are done with your food, you brush your teeth. It keeps you from eating. Well, me anyway :)
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a glass of red wine. It's tasty and filling and helps me sleep.......ok who am I kidding, it's more like 2-3 glasses! :drinker:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing recently.. I'm going to start popping Ambien and going to bed early. :P
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    :Lot of peeps have the nt time snacking routine or habit!
    i usually have a nt treat at nt of some kind..in fact I just did about a half an houra go!... but i dont "blow it" cuz i make it work into my calories/budget for the day!.. watch my portions have it and done!!
    sometimes if you are struggling with the portion and want more and more.. then maybe stop and wait.. do something else before going back for seconds!! or brush your teeth! that helps at times
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm posting this then going to bed. I can do awesome all day but once everyone goes to bed, I want a little me time and always end up blowing what I did during the day. How do you guys deal with the nighttime snacking? Is that a problem for others? I know I should snack on something healthy but I'm always craving sweets at night.Maybe I should just go to bed early.LoL And do you know of any yummy low fat ,low carb, low cal sweets I can indulge in without ruining a days work?Thanks:)

there are a lot of snacks out there.. 100 calorie pudding cups or kashi cookies (big/rich 130 cals each) or skinny cow ice creams
    or if you live near a trader joes... they have these awesome soy ice cream sandwiches choc or vanilla.. and lots more!
    popcorn is a good low cal snack too
  • aniahill
    aniahill Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This comment might be a good point - how about you add the calories on to tomorrow's if you do do it every day? I don't know how healthy etc that is but if you are managing to stick to your goals during the day, move the goalposts and be extra good during the day.

I'm always looking for ways to work around problems rather than just working on willpower.

Good luck
    It's usually not an issue for me until about three am, and that's only if I stay up all night. At which point I eat about three hundred calories, since it's been about six hours since a meal, y'know? and start the day's count then.

When I need sweet, I have 100 calories of yogurt or ice cream in the fridge/freezer, preportioned.
    When I need sweet/crunch, I have small 100 cal snack packs of chocolate covered pretzels.

But the first thing I always do is have a large glass of water, just to see if it's "real". If I do really need it, I don't beat myself up.

I've found other self-nurturing things to do that don't involve eating, too. I read, I watch a show all the way through without interruption online, and I do things that make me feel good physically that aren't eating.
  • mama4loca
    Options
    LOL I love pickles though too!
  • mama4loca
    Options
    I tend to have a glass of red wine. It's tasty and filling and helps me sleep.......ok who am I kidding, it's more like 2-3 glasses! :drinker:
  • mama4loca
    Options
    LOL!