Sugar or sugar substitutes?

Options
So here's the question. Regular sugar? Or a sugar substitute? I've heard mixed reviews supporting each side. Ones on how the body is accustomed to regular sugar so it will process it easier. Also I've heard how the substitutes are better for dieting and how the body processes them through the digestive system without turning it to fat and storing it. So what's the final answer? Any and all information is appreciated :D

Replies

• TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Stevia! Natural! No cals! :)
  • Nice choice! :D
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I will admit it takes some time to get used to the taste, but I like the natural factor and no cals? See ya, sugar!!!

I do the liquid, flavored liquids, and powder. I make lemonade and green tea with plain liquid. Its basically amazing! :) And virtually guilt free!!!
  • CaelGomez
    Options
    Most, if not all, sugar substitutes can eventually lead to cancer.
    Aspartame has been proven to create super tiny holes throughout your brain.
    Too much sugar can cause you to become a diabetic, though.

I usually get all or most of my store bought foods diet.
    Like my Yoplait Light yogurt, and diet soda if I actually decided to buy soda.
    I also like to order my Starbucks drinks with sugar-free syrups...

At home I always use regular sugar.
    If you're eating right, sugar isn't going to harm you since you wouldn't be consuming it in insane quantities.

If you're really good with eating healthy, then I would avoid sugar substitutes as much as possible.
    I have found that I enjoy the taste of 'diet' foods/junk foods more than the 'non-diet'...
    but it really isn't very good for you.
  • No difference in taste? I've been thinking about trying it but a little hesitant. I love my splenda lol.
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Natvia is the best "sugar substitute" as it is the only 100% natural one. But you could find natural sweeteners like prunes or dates, blend them up and they're great for baking. Honey is also a good one!
  • Most, if not all, sugar substitutes can eventually lead to cancer.
    Aspartame has been proven to create super tiny holes throughout your brain.
    Too much sugar can cause you to become a diabetic, though.

I usually get all or most of my store bought foods diet.
    Like my Yoplait Light yogurt, and diet soda if I actually decided to buy soda.
    I also like to order my Starbucks drinks with sugar-free syrups...

At home I always use regular sugar.
    If you're eating right, sugar isn't going to harm you since you wouldn't be consuming it in insane quantities.

If you're really good with eating healthy, then I would avoid sugar substitutes as much as possible.
    I have found that I enjoy the taste of 'diet' foods/junk foods more than the 'non-diet'...
    but it really isn't very good for you.

So how much of it is a bad amount that will lead to cancer? I've been using it for a while now lol.
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Splenda is really bad for you...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of diet Pepsi's everyday. Don't buy the hoopla on cancer or holes in the brain. Show me the bodies...........:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    For me whether it's a good choice or bad, is outweighed by how does it taste. Artificial sugar substitutes taste horrid, I've tried to get used to them but can't. Stevia is ok in some limited foods but not something i could put in everything.

Verdict for me...sugar in the raw.
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Just try and avoid soft drinks, coke or coke zero. they're both bad for you. if you like sugar in your coffee or tea try and cut it by half then half again. half a teaspoon of raw sugar is only 8 calories.
  • Just try and avoid soft drinks, coke or coke zero. they're both bad for you. if you like sugar in your coffee or tea try and cut it by half then half again. half a teaspoon of raw sugar is only 8 calories.

My coffee is exactly what I've been using it in. I guess another thing I would have to ask is how is it from both sides? From a diet and weight loss aspect and from a healthy body on the inside aspect?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I used to use sugar substitutes like Splenda diet sodas to help wean myself off sodas. I rarely even drink diet soda anymore - mostly just water or green tea. I now use stevia if I want to sweeten something. Stevia is great and it's grown, not made in a lab. :flowerforyou:
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Absolutely real sugar ...never a substitute ...gross (and I'm not on the whole stevia love train either!)
  • Absolutely real sugar ...never a substitute ...gross (and I'm not on the whole stevia love train either!)

I haven't tried it yet but how come you don't like the stevia?
  • CaelGomez
    Options
    I drink a couple of diet Pepsi's everyday. Don't buy the hoopla on cancer or holes in the brain. Show me the bodies...........:laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

I would show you the brain, but I don't have access to the magazine I found it in.
    I'm not sure how much it takes for it to have any affect... or how long it takes for it to happen...
    but did you know that Splenda replaces the caloric molecules in sugar with chlorine molecules?
    I just read it on the website to make sure, and from what I read there it seems safe enough.
    I know a few years ago I saw something on T.V that made a huge deal about it, though.
    Of course the Splenda company won't say their product is bad, so it's really hard to know for sure.

I eat a lot of things made with sugar substitutes and aspartame...

I stick to using regular sugar for anything I make myself, though.
    Better safe than having cancer! It's just a few extra calories. No big deal.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
    I don't feel like looking up a bunch of information right now to find out if I'm right or wrong.
    No harm in me saying too much is dangerous, though.
    Too much of anything is harmful to our bodies.
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Just try and avoid soft drinks, coke or coke zero. they're both bad for you. if you like sugar in your coffee or tea try and cut it by half then half again. half a teaspoon of raw sugar is only 8 calories.

My coffee is exactly what I've been using it in. I guess another thing I would have to ask is how is it from both sides? From a diet and weight loss aspect and from a healthy body on the inside aspect?

I've always been at a healthy comfortable weight, I'm now more just trying to get fit and grow some muscles ;) 8 calories isn't very much and won't make a difference. Replacing "fat" with chemicals is not the best idea ;)
  • weezieleopard
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I would show you the brain, but I don't have access to the magazine I found it in.
    I'm not sure how much it takes for it to have any affect... or how long it takes for it to happen...
    but did you know that Splenda replaces the caloric molecules in sugar with chlorine molecules?
    I just read it on the website to make sure, and from what I read there it seems safe enough.
    I know a few years ago I saw something on T.V that made a huge deal about it, though.
    Of course the Splenda company won't say their product is bad, so it's really hard to know for sure.

I eat a lot of things made with sugar substitutes and aspartame...

I stick to using regular sugar for anything I make myself, though.
    Better safe than having cancer! It's just a few extra calories. No big deal.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
    I don't feel like looking up a bunch of information right now to find out if I'm right or wrong.
    No harm in me saying too much is dangerous, though.
    Too much of anything is harmful to our bodies.

Anything that isn't natural obviously isn't healthy for the body!! Sugar all the way.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Use stevia and love it. I don't get the " aftertaste" comments, to me it tastes like sugar, but it's relatively expensive.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use stevia for certain things because sugar isn't needed (I also like the toffee flavor). Other times I use sugar. I do like coconut palm sugar, it's tasty and has a lower amount of sugar per serving size (a tbs is only 3 grams of sugar). I'm not used to regular sugar, and have just never had it around. But, if I am out and I need to add sweetness I will probably add a little sugar (maybe sometimes splenda). I don't usually need extra sugar. Diet sodas are bad for teeth enamel because they are very acidic (citric acid and phosphoric acid). And some sweeteners and sugar alcohols can cause bloating and abdominal pain (but everyone is different).