i don't want to be musceley?

Options
Hi

So far in my quest to lose weight i have dropped 17 lbs, i have 10 more lbs to go and then i really want to concentrate on toning.

currently i do 45mins of cardio and 15mins of weights 3 to 4 times a week. with the weights i will do 3 reps of 10 on the arm and leg machines (i do not know the technical name!)

the only thing is, i dont want to be musceley, i just want to be toned.

is there a way of doing this?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hi

So far in my quest to lose weight i have dropped 17 lbs, i have 10 more lbs to go and then i really want to concentrate on toning.

currently i do 45mins of cardio and 15mins of weights 3 to 4 times a week. with the weights i will do 3 reps of 10 on the arm and leg machines (i do not know the technical name!)

Don't take steroids and you won't be "muscley". Women have a hard time putting on muscle anyway due to low testosterone levels. It's very, very difficult to put on muscle when you're eating at a caloric deficit. Combine those with the fact that 15 minutes of lifting weights on a couple machines is not a bodybuilder's workout routine, and you have no worries about becoming "musceley". Even an 18-20 year old guy (very favorable hormonal environment for building muscle) wouldn't put any muscle on with that workout routine - especially in a caloric deficit.

For a female to put on any appreciable amount of muscle, it involves very high protein intake, tons of calories (above and beyond your maintenance requirements) and busting your butt in the gym throwing very heavy weights. To look anything like a professional female bodybuilder, you can add anabolic steroids and various other controlled substances into the mix. It's not easy and it doesn't happen overnight.
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    its incredibly difficult for a woman to gain muscle size ... i know , ive been trying to do it for the last year ... with some success, but basically if yr doing 3 sets of ten reps at anything , u r def not going to put on muscle .. coz yr not fatiguing yr muscles sufficiently to make them tear and repair ( which is how they get bigger) .. so dont worry .. and go for it ! .
  • sunshine1992
    sunshine1992 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as toning, all those lean amazing dancer types you see simply just have little fat around their muscles.

Keep lifting your weights and doing your cardio. Unless you make a conscious effort to you will not get huge.

Also congrats on the weight loss, goodluck with your final 10 :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi

Don't take steroids and you won't be "muscley". Women have a hard time putting on muscle anyway due to low testosterone levels. It's very, very difficult to put on muscle when you're eating at a caloric deficit. Combine those with the fact that 15 minutes of lifting weights on a couple machines is not a bodybuilder's workout routine, and you have no worries about becoming "musceley". Even an 18-20 year old guy (very favorable hormonal environment for building muscle) wouldn't put any muscle on with that workout routine - especially in a caloric deficit.

For a female to put on any appreciable amount of muscle, it involves very high protein intake, tons of calories (above and beyond your maintenance requirements) and busting your butt in the gym throwing very heavy weights. To look anything like a professional female bodybuilder, you can add anabolic steroids and various other controlled substances into the mix. It's not easy and it doesn't happen overnight.

^^this.
  • monicamcisaac
    monicamcisaac Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi
    here's a couple of pages you might be interested in. I found them quite helpful.
    http://www.icb2001.com/Weight_Lifting_Key_To_Weight_Loss.asp
    http://www.missfitnesslife.com/category/exercise/

Good luck! :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Hi

Spot on!! Could not of said it better myself.....Best of Luck
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hi

Unless you have a medical issue and your body is producing too much testosterone or you are secretly a man hiding in a woman's body, you are not going to bulk up. Just keep doing what you are doing.