Running tips?

Options
Okay so,
I could run around 4km which isn't that bad but its not that great, and for some reason I'm just beginning to get worse and worse, I don't know why but I just can't run without stopping, I can barely run past 1km without walking, even though I only stop for a couple of seconds I just keep doing it. I don't know if its because I'm bored or that out of breath or lack of motivation?
Its so frustrating!

If anyone else has experienced this or have any tips I'd appreciate it soooooo much
p.s I have a 5.7k run coming up in a month and I need help!

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When's the last time you gave yourself a week rest period?

Work out for a week at 80% of your typical exertion and time, and allow yourself recovery. It is something we all need.

Also, sometimes runs just aren't going to happen, either from mental stress issues or things just don't feel right. It could be your body telling you to take it easy for a time.
  • NoCoolUsername
    NoCoolUsername Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week and swim or gym the other days. I am totally unable to run 2 days in a row, if I do I just cant run for longer than a few minutes without having to stop.

Also I find doing different routes makes it easier, And running in busy(ish) areas too as I don't want anyone to see me in shorts or bright red in the face puffing and panting so I tend to go quicker!

Do you run by distance or time?
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I kind of notice that I do this sometimes. I'll try running, and I just seem way of out shape, even though I've been consistently running since April. Running with music is a big thing for me, or else I concentrate on my breathing way too much. And if you're running every day, you might need a break. I'm the most successful when I vary my distances from day to day too.

Have you considered running with a partner or on a treadmill? I think some days it's just a mental thing. You can do more than you think you can, trust me! If you shake up your running routine in some form or another, it may help. Also, you might just be running too fast, so try running slower, maybe?
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I will reiterate what others have said. You need rest days. Run one day, take a rest day or two, run again, take a rest day.

I had trouble increasing my run time wile I was doing the C25K plan because I was running too fast. For weeks, I was stalled at being able to run 5K, but not without walking for a minute or two in between each mile... or half mile if I was trying two days in a row (needed that rest day!). I lowered my speed about 0.5 mph (I run on a treadmill) and BAM! I could do it!

I can never run as long or as fast if I'm tired. Make sure you are getting enough sleep and aren't fatigued already from other things. I try to have my runs first thing in the morning when I haven't done anything else that will exert my muscles and joints.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started running 3 months ago I could barley run .5 k at that time and am now doing 10k comfortably 3 times a week and building on that. My success has been through running 3 times per week with breaks in between so Tues, Thurs and Sun usually, I also joined a brand new club which has really helped and gave me a good reason to start. If I run alone I do not do nearly as well as when I run with friends, the club has given me a focus, helped me meet friends to run with and will give me the motivation to continue. Keep going just remember rest days in between, ensure you are properly hydrated before a run and if you can run with others it's fun this way.
  • lenatuck
    lenatuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I should probably say that I'm only running 2 times a week, the other days I normally do strength training with a bit of cardio.
    I feel it is more of a mental thing rather than a physical thing. It could be my pace though I might try that!
  • jon40084
    jon40084 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try reading "No Need For Speed" by John Bingham. It's really inspirational and really helped me get over that sticking point. Good luck.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - I run 5 times a week at the moment but I don't run at all every 4th week (my rest week) and do other activites to replace it - make sure you're resting and recovering properly. I also found changing my eating habits around running helped a lot! :)

The psychological component is also a huge part of exercise too, for me anyway - I had to take a break for a month to get over my last lack of motivation - came back to running and have been enjoying it since :D
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Are you feeling like you are tired? Feet start feeling heavy? How is your energy the rest of the time? If you are feeling tired for no reason, then it could be one of many health issues. I used to be very acitve and I was always running up the stairs at work and then my thyroid crashed and I felt like I had to push myself to walk up the stairs. I only say this because sometimes we don't really notice a slow change like that.

Any how, I would check your pace. If I start out too fast I feel tired pretty quick even if it is my normal running pace. I tend to start out around 10.5 minutes per mile but then after maybe 1/2 a mile I'm up to somewhere between 8.5 and 9.5 minutes a mile. If I start out a 9.5, I feel like I can't run over 2 miles though.

If pace isn't the issue, try a different cardio workout...biking, elliptical etc. Then try switching them every few workouts to see if things were just getting old.
  • harveysnith27
    Options
    I love to run because it's very good exercise and also helps to keep our body fit & fine.
    It gives me great energy and make my happy day.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You are probably going too fast. Slow down and you will run further. If you have a HRM then try to keep below 80% of max. If that means walking then walk. When your fitness improves then your speed will improve too.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I tend to get bored with running too which causes my pace to slow or me to feel less motivated as a result. I started running outside instead of on a treadmill, and I try to switch up my running path. The change in scenery really helps. Also maybe run intervals. Run 2 minutes walk 1, or some variation. It adds up to a lot more exertion than you would think!