Net vs gross calorie burn

Options
Hi,

Quick question, I have a timex HRM which seems very inaccurate when calculating the calories burned. So I was figuring I'd use a web based calculator just using the average Heart Rate. Such as

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

which seems to give a much more expected result.

However this is a gross burn and there's a tool to further reduce it to a net burn.

Is net burn basically subtracting my BMR? and therefore the one I should use in exercise on MFP, since that is already allowed for? This makes sense to me but thought I would ask people with more knowledge than myself to make sure I have it all right.

Any feedback appreciated.

Replies

• BrettS1973
    BrettS1973 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Anyone able to help?
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sorry I cant answer this but I would like to know more x
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Gross is the total burned due to being alive and exercise. Net is just the exercise bit.

So if you workout for an hour and burn 600 cals - that's the gross, but you would have burned 100 anyway sitting on your *kitten* so the net is 500 - ie the additional amount burned during the workout.

I dont know if MFP or other calcs show net or gross figures. But it's all estimates anyway. Eat less, move more!