Help~ Binging again.

Options
Recently I've been binging on cake and cookies.. basically everything that I've tried to avoid and eat less of in the past year or so. And now randomly I can't stop myself. I'm trying to gain back some self control.. but what else can I be doing that might help me resist those nasty cravings. ):

Thank you.

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Stress or hormones- check your cycle. If its ovulation, pms or period time you can try a small bowl of cereal (although I avoid graiuns usually I make an excpetion during that time).

Try to stay away form the carbs- grab soem protein and chew it down, follow with a glass of water and wait 10 mins to see if the cravings have lessened.

I totally forgot this , this month and ate a tub of hagan das, a bag of doritos, a box of chocolates and a whole packet of biscuits over a week. Oops!
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    The most important thing to do is keep eating as you normally would after you binge. Don't cut back to try and compensate. Make sure that you are eating enough and try not to deprive yourself either.

So make sure you eat three good meals a day and eat snacks in between to keep your blood sugar levels up. Try not to leave more than 3 hours between meals. This really is the best way to combat binges.
  • gangstaxkel
    gangstaxkel Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Don't keep bad stuff in the house...I find if I have it in the house it's way too temping to go and get it. I have no control otherwise...so know how you feel :smile:
  • Inebriated
    Options
    Make sure you eat enough protein and veggies, drink enough (not too much) water and try to reduce the stress in your life. That should help.
  • MsPika
    MsPika Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Could be your body is craving a sugar high! How about fruit...low in calaories and high in natural sugars.

Also eat little and often to keep sugar levels constant and reduce cravings.

Allowing yourself a little bit of what you fancy within your calories will stop you feeling so deprived.

I love chocolate so every now and again I have a club biscuit (just over 100cals)
  • gangstaxkel
    Options
    Here is also the thing.. I still live at home (soon to change) but my mom buys cookies and has brownies made practically everyday, and they are just sitting there tempting me. I used to have such good control, but I'm giving in recently. I've tried to tell my parents to maybe cut back on buying those sorts of things cause they are obese, but they won't listen and keep going on with their ways.
  • gangstaxkel
    Options
    bump
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been binging on cake and cookies.. basically everything that I've tried to avoid and eat less of in the past year or so. And now randomly I can't stop myself. I'm trying to gain back some self control.. but what else can I be doing that might help me resist those nasty cravings. ):

Thank you.

Try 5-HTP. It's a nutritional supplement that increases the amount of seratonin in your brain. Studies have shown that low levels of seratonin contribute to binge eating disorder.

Hope this helps.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Fast two days a week and you can be a little more liberal about what you eat, intermittent fasting.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Is it possible for you to plan a treat into your everyday menu so you don't feel deprived?

Are you eating your emotions?

Try keeping an emotion journal and log what you are feeling when you go to grab a bite or sit down to a meal. Also, when I am tired or stressed I am more prone to a binge.

It could be TOM. TOM takes a hold of me so. I could gnaw on my arm and eat the cabinet doors of the hinges.

Think of these things when you are leaning into the binge path and try to identify the situation.

H A L T

H-hungry
    A-angry
    L-lonely
    T-tired
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    ^^^bump^^^
  • gangstaxkel
    Options
    Thank you guys. I actually added a treat to my diet every other day so that I don't feel deprived of sweets. It is my TOM, maybe that's why I've been so hungry for those types of treats.. or should I say craving.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I get carb and fat cravings...literally.
    My doctor says part of the reason is my PCOS...Not to suggest that you have it. I just wanted to bring up that little changes in your body will trigger 'fast release' food cravings.

I literally have to trick myself...
    Chocolate covered bananas- 120 calories, yum!
    Skinny Cow ice cream bars, 100 calories
    Egg white cookies (I can't think of the proper name)- 90 calories

I always crumble if I'm 100% good all of the time too...and my TOM...
    If I survive it, I'm happy. ^^;
  • bongbunny
    bongbunny Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try 5-HTP. It's a nutritional supplement that increases the amount of seratonin in your brain. Studies have shown that low levels of seratonin contribute to binge eating disorder.

Never heard of 5-HTP to help with binging (interesting!), but know it's used to assist with sleep. I've taken it exactly two times and it caused such intense dreams that I won't touch the stuff again.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your binges? Sometimes just the act of logging every cookie before you actually eat it, will derail the binge.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I am having TOM too. Decided the only way I could cope was to change my day to all day snacking apart from dinner...but I am snacking on protein (tin tuna, ham, chicken) , avocado, olives, cottage cheese, fruits and veg and if I had nuts they'd b in there too plus I have a protein shake and make sure take vitamin supplements...and I don't care about macros/cals for all this at the moment. I am avoiding carbs as much as possible (it'll catch up next week but I'll feel more in control then)...I know when I am feeling like you are...I'll start with a carb and it'll go alllll day lol. Sometimes when I do this, I actually come out with a loss. TOM was a massive challenge for me. I also find it's every second month that is the worst. I prepare for it now, especially the first three days. Shop beforehand, minimize activity/social obligations apart from exercise.

RE: Mum and Dad...are you able to maybe bake your own foods for that week?...I try to cook a lot more now because then I am able to control the amount of sugar in it. I don't necessarily do it for me but I don't like the amount of rubbish in bought snacks that my kids eat. So maybe make a slice or some cookies, brownies the week before and freeze them for yourself or even mum and dad. Just don't let on that they are dietary in any way!!

Also....not just cut back on sugar when you make your own but you can exchange white flour with wholemeal flour or rice flour or almond meal too which will make it lower GI and therefore you will feel sated for longer.