Suck it September

Options
Hey to all the Newbies (I am one too)! and to all the MFP Furniture!

I've been having a great time reading all your posts and learning so many things along the way.

I wanted to see if anyone was up for a Challenge??!

Some or most of you probably do this all the time anyway BUT
the Challenge is to suck your belly button into your spine for the rest of September every waking moment of the day!!!

It seems like you're trying to do THIS:

moderator comment - picture removed to comply with guideline

WHICH IS PRETTY GROSS.. but

It feels like you're actually doing THIS:
girl-with-abs-8.jpg

And all day you walk around feeling tall and proud like THIS:
10559383-chicago--aug-25-a-giant-26-foot-tall-sculpture-of-marilyn-monroe-stands-in-a-square-on-michigan-aven.jpg

I started sucking my belly button through my spine and keeping my shoulders back recently and it's feels awesome walking around straight and proud =]

Hope you will join me cos I know you'll love it too ! And it kinda works like an all day ab workout too...BONUS =P

Replies

• Congratulations, you have discovered the 'vacuum pose'. (=
    People have reported seeing inches lost in their waist (and possibly hips) by doing this, but I personally have not seen such results on my waist. Try it, let me know if you see any difference after a couple of weeks. It is said to exercise your transverse abdominis muscle (have I spelt that right?) which is the layer of muscle you need to target if you want to see the inches lost.

SUCK IT. Don't be kind to yourself when you're doing this pose if you want the best out if it.
    From experience, I can say the best method I have come across to help suck it as far as you can is by stretching your arms right up like you're touching the sky and exhale as hard as you can, or inhale then exhale - do whatever is easiest for you. Some sites say don't breathe properly when you're doing the pose. My opinion? Breathe. Hold it for an 10-60min everyday for 2-4 weeks and let us know if you see results! There's only one way of finding out, and that way is trial and fail.

Good luck! (=
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    That first pic is very sad and disturbing :frown:
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Actually this is a yogic body-lock done with the diaphragm called "Uddiyanna Bandh". It should be done on an empty stomach 2-3 times in the morning to help digestion and elimination. It also stimulates the vagus nerve.

Instructions: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/1707

<-- Yoga teacher :wink:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The individual in that first image is clearly emaciated regardless of whether they are sucking it in. As someone with an eating disorder, I find it quite triggering.
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    The individual in that first image is clearly emaciated regardless of whether they are sucking it in. As someone with an eating disorder, I find it quite triggering.

apologies if my post has offended

Thanks everyone else for your comments!
    No taker's??
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    emotionalhalequin said:
    ...transverse abdominis muscle
    Ah wow I had to google that one ;) No wonder it feels like my posture has improved 1000%

is more than just a tummy tightener. While the TVA does act as an abdominal girdle, it also is one of the main core muscles responsible for supporting your spine and torso.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/103153-transverse-abdominal-muscle-exercises/#ixzz25N2PPZ5F
    wallabear said:
    Actually this is a yogic body-lock done with the diaphragm called "Uddiyanna Bandh". It should be done on an empty stomach 2-3 times in the morning to help digestion and elimination. It also stimulates the vagus nerve.

Instructions: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/1707

<-- Yoga teacher :wink:

Oh thankyou for sharing! Googled VAGUS NERVE!!!!!
    I've definately noticed an improvement in my mood...swings LOL until recently I've always seemed to be perpetually TOM'ING aha...
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey SkinnySkittles! :wink:

I'll take you up on the challenge! ....although I will go more for the 10-60 minutes per day and not the all day every day, haha. :smile:
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    Yay awesome I'm excited :)
  • natbeach
    Options
    You know what? Im in - am getting terrible posture slouching around on trains all the time, and a little more core tone isnt gonna hurt anyone :P So I am sucking in... as of now haha.

Will try for as long as I can, whenever I think about it!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'll try.
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    I'll try.

That's the shiz ! You can do it!
    You know what? Im in - am getting terrible posture slouching around on trains all the time, and a little more core tone isnt gonna hurt anyone :P So I am sucking in... as of now haha.

Will try for as long as I can, whenever I think about it!

That's all I do, whenever I remember which is pretty often now that I'm getting used to it. I think I have to try SUCK EVEN HARDER to really feel it now....it's only been 3 days =]
  • PelvicWoo
    Options
    This was quite interesting to read through! My mommy always told me to suck in my belly and I always thought it was insanely hard to do and I couldn't find any legitimate reason for doing it (granted, I was under 10 years old back then!) And now, sucking in my tummy is second nature. But just to be able to tell September to "suck it" as the post says, I think I'll suck it in a little harder this month!

Also, I'm quite new to this site (just joined a few hours ago) and quite young, and looking for fun people to keep me on track! If anybody feels inclined to message me or be friends, please feel free to do so! :heart:
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bizarre! I was just thinking this morning about concentrating more on my posture and holding my tummy in. I have chronic back pain and need to strengthen my core to help get rid of it! I am soooooo in!
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    This was quite interesting to read through! My mommy always told me to suck in my belly and I always thought it was insanely hard to do and I couldn't find any legitimate reason for doing it (granted, I was under 10 years old back then!) And now, sucking in my tummy is second nature. But just to be able to tell September to "suck it" as the post says, I think I'll suck it in a little harder this month!

Also, I'm quite new to this site (just joined a few hours ago) and quite young, and looking for fun people to keep me on track! If anybody feels inclined to message me or be friends, please feel free to do so! :heart:

Love that I got your first post >=] Took your MFP 'cherry' woowooooo, welcome and make sure you keep comin back ;)
    Bizarre! I was just thinking this morning about concentrating more on my posture and holding my tummy in. I have chronic back pain and need to strengthen my core to help get rid of it! I am soooooo in!

It was meant to be ! awesome welcome to the Challenge !
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    come on mfp'ers ;)
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    How we all going so far ?
    I struggled a bit today-had food cramps but back at it tomorrow :)
  • OooLaurenooO
    OooLaurenooO Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I tend to suck my tummy in when im standing anywayz...ill give this a crack & see if i can manage it while im at work too.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'll give the 10-60 minutes a day a try... worth a shot, right?
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    I tend to suck my tummy in when im standing anywayz...ill give this a crack & see if i can manage it while im at work too.

thats good you will have to try even harder for it to hurt then! ;)
    I'll give the 10-60 minutes a day a try... worth a shot, right?
    absolutely , one of the girls said she would do same and has told me she is now doing really well sucking all day , so I bet you can do it too :)
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    will give it a try to...