Any vegetarians/ vegans out there??

Options
Okay, so I am a vegetarian, and I have been since I was eight years old. I'm not a PETA activist, I don't do it just to be healthy. I just don't like meat, never have.
With that being said, Is there anyone on here who has any good vegan/ vegetarian recipes to share, especially stuff that is quick/ easy to make for college students.? Also, I would love to make some new Veg friends, so don't be shy!

Replies

• rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    what should I do with red beans? I have a pot full of them, but don't know any good recipes
  • whatareyousoscaredof
    Options
    not really a cook tbh so I don't have any recipes to share.
    I make a lot of fresh juices though. :)
    but I went vegetarian over two years ago. then started eating white meat again.
    now I've decided to give veganism a try. I'm on my second week.
    so, no recipes? but I'd love to make a new veg friend.
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    and we're all named Sarah? :wink:
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm semi-vegetarian too (as in, my flat doesn't buy meat, but when I'm at home/out, I'll eat it) so I've had to learn to cook a variety of vegetarian meals.

Check out this magazine's website. It's pretty much my bible for cooking. You can select 'vegetarian' on the search options, and search for recipes with particular ingredients too, if you have anything that needs using. I don't always select the vegetarian option, as some cases there are soups with added bacon that stop something from being vegetarian, but it's easy enough just to make the soup and leave out the bacon.

Here's the link:
    http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of like you -- I just don't like meat. I'm lactose-intolerant so we really don't eat much dairy other than Greek yoghurt and froyo. I eat meat on occassion because of the nutrients and I need iron, but other than that I try to eat as vegetarian as I can LOL. I do love me fish though.

Anyways, I love black bean salad! :D And French lentil soup.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    the peta vegan college cookbook has a few good recipes in it, some aren't good, but lots are and don't require much cooking.

Personally I love quinoa with nutritional yeast and vegan butter. I also like to make chipolte-style veg burritos.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    @yolojaney - Do you like Indian food? Indian Red Bean Curry is awesome. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/02/red-kidney-bean-curry/
  • Aventuria
    Options
    You can put beans in about everything, eg veggie stir fry, filling capsicums with feta, beans and veggies, enchiladas, veggie patties,... :drinker:
    All yummy! If they're dried, put them in water overnight, that way you can later absorb the iron better! :wink:

I'm a vegetarian with all my heart. :smile:
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and I get a lot of my recipes from myrecipes.com. I mostly use the Cooking Light recipes. I just made this one last night and it was delicious and super easy and fast!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/curried-couscous-with-broccoli-feta-10000000577218/
  • JuceKS
    JuceKS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just a standard vegetarian (still eat eggs and cheese). My suggestion is to eat all the fresh foods you can get especially during the summer. Eat all the different fruits and veggies as they are in season. I get most of protein from vegetarian complete protein shakes mixed with almond, soy, or coconut milk. Try to stay away from the processed veggie meals like morning star and boca as your main source of food. I try to only eat that stuff like a treat. Tofu is actually good dish too once you find out the best way you like it. Whole Foods is a good place to try Tofu made lots of different ways. Buying dry beans and soaking and cooking are a good thing. You can make hummus out of just about any bean. Superfoods like Avocados, coconut, and raw honey are good for getting more nutrients.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, but i don't really follow any recipes. I just make things up as I go and try to use mostly whole foods, and sort of make up recipes in my head as I'm planning my meals for the day/week.
    I have things like lentil/veggie soup, slit pea soup with nutritional yeast, pinto beans with spinach, black beans with salsa or garlic, huge salads with mushrooms kale romaine baby spinach carrots tomatoes sprouts and cucumber, lots of oatmeal, add pumpkin puree to smoothies or grains, smoothies in general- banana base with either pumpkin, cherries, blueberries, dates, or plain. Lots of seeds as well as nuts/nut butters, and 'grains' like quinoa millet and buckwheat with chopped veggies, fruit for snacks...and lots more. I think the best thing to do is to eat simply, and naturally, and you really appreciate food more and it's easy.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bean/refried bean burritos...
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Skinny ***** In The Kitch has a lot of good recipes there. They're vegan, but they taste pretty dang good. They use a lot of tofu and fake meat products though so I'm not sure how much you'd like them. I recently found a recipe for cashew cheese though that was pretty tasty in my opinion. Here's the link:

http://mylifeinapyramid.com/2011/04/vegan-cashew-cheese-recipe-tastes-just-like-boursin/
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can put beans in about everything, eg veggie stir fry, filling capsicums with feta, beans and veggies, enchiladas, veggie patties,... :drinker:
    All yummy! If they're dried, put them in water overnight, that way you can later absorb the iron better! :wink:

I'm a vegetarian with all my heart. :smile:

Red kidney beans are toxic if eaten raw so if you buy dried, you do need to soak them overnight and then cook for at least 2 hours.

I've been vegetarian for about 5 years, now eat mostly plant based (e.g. vegan) with small amounts of dairy maybe twice a week.

I love the OhSheGlows.com blog for healthy vegan recipes.
  • Aventuria
    Options
    Yeah, true, damn those toxic acids! :grumble: Though I heard it's enough if you just cook them through thoroughly, but then there's the thing with the iron again... :noway: I don't get it, I just follow my guts and do it like I always did: Soaking them overnight. :laugh:

I eat lots of dairy though, love my cheese and milk... :blushing:
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since I was ten so quite a while. I do eat free range eggs and cheese, although not cheese containing animal rennet so parmesan a strict no-no. I do eat a lot of quorn products or alternatives as well.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    What? No-one has mentioned the Post Punk Kitchen? Lots of good recipes, several on the website. I'm trying recipes out of Appetite for Reduction now, one at a time. I loved the eggplant kibbeh from AFR, I now have a freezer full of it for the week. I also like tofu scramble (basic recipe in Vegan w/a Vengeance, but pretty much found anywhere on the web) since even I, who can barely boil water, figured out how to alter it to my tastes. In my case, I make a Middle Eastern-flavored tofu scramble.

I am also a vegetarian (and I also don't like meat).. I'm not a vegan but since I'm trying to cut out cheese to lose weight, it effectively gives me a mostly vegan diet. Because I'm lazy I tend to cook up pots of beans and roll them in a tortilla or serve them over a grain. Or cook up lentils with taco seasoning and eat with nooch.

(I also eat way too many Morningstar Farms products, I'm working on it)
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    I grew up fairly vegetarian as my mum was and she did all the cooking :P
    I like meat but still partial to a good vegetarian dish.

To the person asking about red kidney beans - I make them mexican style and use them as a filling for tacos (and they make mean burritos or even nachos too). Soo easy and sooo yummy. Just soak them overnight, then rinse and boil until soft, drain them and mash them. In a frying pan, cook one diced onion until soft, add some garlic, cummin seeds, paprika and oregano and then a tin of tomatoes. When its cooked through, add to your bean mash, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • _quirky_girl_
    _quirky_girl_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find lots of good, healthy recipes on this blog: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/. I also find a lot of ideas on www.foodgawker.com. Most of the recipes aren't very healthy but I just tweak them to fit into my diet.