Totally freaking out.

Options
For some reason, my family and friends seem to think that the only way we can enjoy ourselves is to go out for meals. I've had a really bad two days diet wise, so I thought I would be good for the rest of the week. But now I've been told that I'm going out for four meals before Sunday! I'm so full of anxiety now, I don't want to undo all of my hard work, which I'm sure an entire week of eating badly will do. I've already tried to get out of it (failed) and I've searched endlessly the menus for where we are going to be going to assess their lowest calorie meals but it's still not calories than I can afford. I don't really know what I expect from this, I'm just ranting I suppose, but any advice would be great on how to calm myself down and avoid being completely fat by the end of the week.

Replies

• maisita509
    maisita509 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try eating HALF or less of what you order, for starters, or order the half-serving. They always serve way too much food anyway. If you get soup, stick with a non-cream base, and get a cup instead of the bowl. If you get a salad, ask for dressing on the side, I find the vinaigrette works best. As for entrees, don't go for the pasta (if you do, try to stick to the recommended serving, and, again, get something that doesn't have a cream-based or cheese-based sauce - get something with a tomato sauce, or veggies, or shrimp)... If you get steak, the recommended serving is a pack of cards, no more... with grilled veggies on the side (my favorite is the asparagus. yum)

Basically, I believe you can make most restaurant food work, just watch those sauces and dressings (and margaritas ;), and try to pay less attention to the calories, and more to the actual food. Hope this helps calm your nerves :):)
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am sorry and I understand your anxiety.

I have a similar week ahead. With my social and business life, I eat out often. Making up your mind before you go is key. That may mean being a little inconvenient to the restaurant and asking for specially prepared food. For example, bake your fish with no added sauces or butter, steam my veggies and add nothing. Also, friends are often uncomfortable when we eat healthy. It's okay. You are there for the fellowship, not the food per se. So, if that means you only order a salad without all of the crazy add-ons that make it unhealthy, then so be it. If it is a half decent restaurant, they can accommodate you.

This is about will power. You can do it! Good luck.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I used to fly 100,000 miles per year for work, so I was eating 3 meals a day in restaurants for 4 days a week most weeks. Ironically, I was in the best shape of my life!

Here's what I did:

-I made sure to exercise every day.

-I really focused on a healthy breakfast, as it was usually the only meal in which I chose the restaurant (other meals were eaten with clients who chose the locations).

-At lunches and dinners i always ordered a salad for an appetizer and ate IT ALL. By then, I was so stuffed that I simply didn't have room for much of the stuff that could get me in trouble.

-I generally didn't drink at these meals (not for weight reasons, actually, but because I didn't want to be even marginally impaired in a strange city with a bunch of men I didn't know), but it's worth considering skipping the alcohol or limiting yourself to one drink.

-I looked for lean protein that was baked, broiled or grilled and ate the accompanying veggies first.

-I avoided the bread baskets or nacho chips or other useless starches that most restaurants keep on the table.
  • MsPika
    MsPika Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think for the future you should suggest other ways for the famiy to enjoy themselves. How about cinema, bowling, ice skating, gigs, crafts etc..

Otherwise I would increase my exercise so I was burning more calories that way. Also eat smaller portions, although I know how hard that must be when you have a plate full of lovely food in front of you! Do look for the more healthy options though, most resturants do salads and meals with veg. I have been to pizza hut a couple of times recently and have just the pizzetta (460cals) and a salad (about 200cals, depending what you get). It really fills you up, and if you have had a light breakfast and lunch that day then you will have enough calories left.

Otherwise I would start faking headaches and refusing to go out lol!
  • ejha77
    Options
    Do some exercise every day before going out to eat?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I used to fly 100,000 miles per year for work, so I was eating 3 meals a day in restaurants for 4 days a week most weeks. Ironically, I was in the best shape of my life!

Here's what I did:

-I made sure to exercise every day.

-I really focused on a healthy breakfast, as it was usually the only meal in which I chose the restaurant (other meals were eaten with clients who chose the locations).

-At lunches and dinners i always ordered a salad for an appetizer and ate IT ALL. By then, I was so stuffed that I simply didn't have room for much of the stuff that could get me in trouble.

-I generally didn't drink at these meals (not for weight reasons, actually, but because I didn't want to be even marginally impaired in a strange city with a bunch of men I didn't know), but it's worth considering skipping the alcohol or limiting yourself to one drink.

-I looked for lean protein that was baked, broiled or grilled and ate the accompanying veggies first.

-I avoided the bread baskets or nacho chips or other useless starches that most restaurants keep on the table.

EXACTLY!

I once gained 20 pounds traveling 4 months because I was eating out wrong. (Think Bill Clinton.) I finally learned these rules and stopped. They have worked for me since.

This summer, I traveled five weeks and lost 18 pounds just with MFP, walking, and careful eating.

You can do it.
  • smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help guys :)
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    I totally get the anxiety over it. This week I'm going out for 3 meals!! I try to avoid dinners out, unless I really have to go. Then I go and just eat sensible portions and try to pick healthier items - like nothing fried, nothing with cream, nothing loaded with cheese, etc.

Keep working out and eat smart for the rest of the day and it will be okay. You've got to enjoy life too!
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    All other suggestions here are very good and I do hear you: it always makes me anxious to go out and my friends and family want to do it very often.

My suggestion: always order the healthiest option you can find in the menu, never eat dessert, only drink water, double your exercise (so you earn more calories that you can eat) and enjoy your meal.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it won't undo all your hard work, if you hadn't done that you'd be in your previous position with this ahead of you.

Secondly, if you have the ability to buy your own food - buy and prepare something healthy before the meal and eat it. Then in the restaurant pick a starter as your main (something you enjoy).

If asked what it's all about be open and honest, explain you ate before because you're getting healthy, which involves watching what you eat at the moment but didn't want to miss out spending fun time with the family so it seemed like the best compromise.

Alternatively, don't order food just a bottle of wine and drink the lot, then just do what comes naturally to you, should see the end of family invites (and possibly something that requires a plea bargain).
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    SAME HERE!
    what's up with that?
    i went out to dinner last night and now i have a rock solid food baby and an extra 6 lbs.
    what i've found that helps is:
    -googling nutritional information before you go and knowing what you want to order
    -eating out earlier (like 5-6ish, not 7-8)
    -ordering water (i drink 1 full glass when everyone else is eating appetizers and then another glass with my actual meal)
    -no dessert
    -eating just a bit lighter for the next day or 2
    -and enjoying it. :)

that all flew out the window last night for me, actually, lmfao
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Just eat smart before the meal.
    Intermittent fast and skip breakfast.
    You seem pretty lean in your profile pic so i hope you aren't on some 1200 calorie diet!
    Wait!
    Do you know what your TDEE is?
    I tell most of my clients that in situations like this they can eat up to TDEE and not gain weight.
  • longbird
    longbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, don't order food just a bottle of wine and drink the lot, then just do what comes naturally to you, should see the end of family invites (and possibly something that requires a plea bargain).

Ha ha! Genius idea ;-)
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been ordering double portion of veggies, and skipping the starch.

Know what you're ordering before you go, my wonderful hubby has been known to print out a menu for us ahead of time.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi. Dont know if anyone mentioned this but Eat a healthy meal before you go. Drink a full glass of water while you are there and whatever you order, if they have this option, add steamed veggies to your meal.
    You can do it. Good luck
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I've been there before, AND I'm your same age. I only try to eat out once a month, twice at most, and a few weeks back I had to eat out over five times. I always look up the menu ahead of time if possible, or if not, I look for the healthiest option, and modify it. Ask for a to go box and immediately box half, ask to share with a relative, or ask your server for options as well. If you get a salad, omit some of the toppings, ask for dressing on the side. Sandwiches, ask for a healthier bread and limited toppings. Meats, ask for grilled or baked instead of fried. Etc. Also, drink lots of water! :)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I eat out often. Its all about choices and portions.
    I always eat half for lunch and half for dinner.
    I always eat the veggies first.
    If it is a sandwich, I only eat the bottom bread (open face- knife and fork)
    I always get the sauce, mayo or whatever dressing on the side.
    I drink lots of water, or unsweetened tea.
    I order bare side salad as appetizer and fill up on that first.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When I know I go out for dinner in the evening, I just eat less during the day. I just eat lettuce or veggies withour bread or anything else. I try to stay under 200 calories during the day so I save 1200 for the dinner. That works pretty good for me.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Try to think of the meals out as a way to spend time with your family and not primarily as a way of feeding yourself. You can always eat something of your choice before or after the restaurant meal and just order a salad or small dish at the restaurant. I'll do this if I am going to a potluck or a party where I don't think there will be any food I want -- just eat beforehand, and then I don't feel stressed about eating at the party and can concentrate on other things. Good luck!
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Eat very lightly during the day and aim to take in the majority of your calories at the meal. Exercise earlier in the day so you won't feel guilty and have spare calories.