Running Shoes

Options
I am trying to get back to running could not run during the summer just to hot and humid here in the south. I need a new pair of running shoes but I am on a very tight budget. I know that shoes are very important but I can't justify paying $60.00 and up for a pair when we need other things. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• QueenCrisis
    Options
    Save your money.
    Period.
    I have an Athletes Fracture and Plantar Fasciitis simple because I'm wearing cheap Wal-Mart shoes. My lower body hurts because I cant stand right or keep proper form in these shoes.
    I'm saving for a 120.00 pair of Nike's that will help immensely.
    If you have no tennis shoes at all, go for a pair of new balance or scholls. But if you want to save yourself the trouble, Save.
  • tigerpenguin
    tigerpenguin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Google cheap athletic shoe magazines. I can't remember the name but when I was in high school I'd get my shoes from a magazines that sold last seasons shoes for about half the price. Same quality, but better price cause I do agree with QueenCrisis... you want a good shoe.

If I remember the name I'll repost... but there has to be quick a few companies out there.

I think this is it----

http://www.eastbay.com
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Go visit a small, local, dedicated running store. The one here in my town puts their shoes on super marked down clearance twice a year and always has a stock of clearance shoes (last year's model) way discounted. I've gotten my $120 shoes for as little as $45 there! Also, get your stride analyzed at a running speciality store, listen to their recommendations, then go on Zappos.com and look around - google Zappos coupons and you can get up to 50% off and free shipping during their big sales (back to school, christmas). Once you know what kind of shoe you need, you can shop around.

Also, what about outlet malls in your area? I run in Nike Frees and there is a nearby Nike outlet where I can get last years model of shoe for about 30% off.
  • AzhureSnow
    Options
    Also - don't believe the hype that you need some crazy super supportive cushioned running shoe. Minimalist running is becoming very popular and I truly love it. My feet, knees, shins, and ankles are much happier when I'm wearing minimalist shoes.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Please don't get cheap shoes. If you have to save for good ones, save. If you have bad shoes, you will not stay on a running program.
    But like other said, if you get analysed (free), you will at least find out WHAT kind of shoe you need. They will tell you about your gait and how your foot strikes. The analysis will tell you if you need extra cushioning or supportive.

Although minimalist is cool and the new big thing, I would wait until you can actually run alot before trying that. Those shoes require a whole different form that you may, or may not, have to get adjusted to.

Good luck with running!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you're going to have to spend the money on a good pair of running shoes if you don't want to have serious foot problems from wearing cheap things that aren't right for your feet.

Go to a running store and get your gait analyzed and get shoes that are for the way you run. Believe me it is worth the time and money to get the right shoes.
  • AzhureSnow
    Options
    Although minimalist is cool and the new big thing, I would wait until you can actually run alot before trying that. Those shoes require a whole different form that you may, or may not, have to get adjusted to.

See, I see it the other way - I started running in super supportive shoes and developed a lot of bad habits. My running buddy started running earlier this year and got started in minimalist shoes that encouraged proper form from the start. Wouldn't you rather start running in the best possible form early, rather than develop nasty habits that lead to injuries and then have to correct them later?

I will say this: make sure you have flexible calves and Achilles tendons before you start running minimalist shoes, and as with any new running program, increase your distance slowly. Don' t wake up one morning and think you're going to run a 5K... you're asking for injuries.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree with this. Most people are more likely heel strikers and if you're just starting out, you are probably better of in a more cushioned shoe with a higher heel to toe drop. If you're heavier runner, that's even more reason to get a more cushioned shoe. Go to our local running store, have them watch your stride, look at how your current shoes have worn, and try on all the different options. Once you know if you need a neutral or stabilizing shoe, then you can figure out which one feels best. Tell them what your budget is, and hopefully they can find a clearance shoe that will work for you. Do NOT cheap out on the shoes. I spend $100+ on each pair of shoes that I change out every 400ish miles. If you run in a cheap shoe, you may end up spending more on dr bills to fix the issues the shoe created. Good luck!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options

See, I see it the other way - I started running in super supportive shoes and developed a lot of bad habits. My running buddy started running earlier this year and got started in minimalist shoes that encouraged proper form from the start. Wouldn't you rather start running in the best possible form early, rather than develop nasty habits that lead to injuries and then have to correct them later?

I will say this: make sure you have flexible calves and Achilles tendons before you start running minimalist shoes, and as with any new running program, increase your distance slowly. Don' t wake up one morning and think you're going to run a 5K... you're asking for injuries.

more than likely, you were/are not a prominent heel striker, hence your situation. An analysis will tell what type of runner you are.

I don't run in cushy shoes either, but I am not a heel striker. But minimalist is certainly only for a select few.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was strapped for cash when I wanted to get my first pair of "real" running shoes but I went into a running store just to see. I talked with the sales person and not only did they fit me, but they had shoes that were marked down that worked for my foot. I think I spent around 75 for a shoe that normally ran 150. It turned out to be a great shoe. I would check a running store first you never know what you might find, plus if you find something you like it will give you an idea of how much to save to get it. Good Luck.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If there is a Sports Authority store near you, go often and look on the clearance rack. You should be able to find a good pair of shoes that normally runn $60-$100 for around $40 or $50.

And it is definitely important to get good shoes. I am a fashion bargain finder--i shop mostly discount and resale for my clothes. I almost never buy new name-brand. But for my running shoes, I'll always pay for a good pair. This is the one place not to scrimp!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running shoe store and get fitted. If you can not find shoes in your budget try this website out for shoe(s) recommended RunOutlet.​com
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cheap running shoes = injury which will stop your running in the long term I definately recommend getting properly assessed and fitted for a pair which suits your running gait. It will be worth it in the long run even if you save a little for them first you can still walk in the interim to help build fitness. :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If there is a Sports Authority store near you, go often and look on the clearance rack. You should be able to find a good pair of shoes that normally runn $60-$100 for around $40 or $50.

And it is definitely important to get good shoes. I am a fashion bargain finder--i shop mostly discount and resale for my clothes. I almost never buy new name-brand. But for my running shoes, I'll always pay for a good pair. This is the one place not to scrimp!

But how will they know if they need a neutral, stability or motion control shoe? Or if the $45 shoe on the rack is neutral, stability or motion control?

Make the investment in your feet, ankles, knees, hips and legs. Go to a specialty store and get properly fitted.
  • pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Where did you take that picture, run in that sand and save all your money! I happen to like a little protection for my tender feet. I hurt them using thin shoes and running to darn fast. Get some good rubber under them and just easy does it. Toughen them up and you will be okay. Most of all -- "Enjoy the Dance"
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back to running could not run during the summer just to hot and humid here in the south. I need a new pair of running shoes but I am on a very tight budget. I know that shoes are very important but I can't justify paying $60.00 and up for a pair when we need other things. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really think your feet, ankles and knees are worth 60.00. However it's about getting the right shoe for your running pattern. If you have a vendor in your area like Road Runner or Feet in Motion or some place that evaluates your feet landing pattern you will be amazed at your results overall. However, sizing is important too. I wear an 8.5 shoe on the regular but in a running shoe I ether wear 10 or 10.5, when we run our feet need breathing room. Every since I have had my currently 3 pairs of shoes my knees thank me.. I am currently wanting to get a Nike pair of shoe but I need to know it is going to be good for my running pattern. Anyways your feet, ankles and knees will thank you if you invest a little on the right pair of shoes...