Sore muscles?

Options
What can I do for sore muscles so it's less painful and i can work out comfortably again!? Any tips or ideas? :)

Replies

• misslou7
    misslou7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good question - I'd like to know too - all my friends so far have just said work through it (as I hobble with calf pain!)
  • ittybittyskinny
    Options
    yeah, thats what i've been hearing too...not ideal :sad: by the way, love the picture!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Stretching right after workouts will help, as well as taking a protein shake within an hour of working out. It won't eliminate soreness, but it will help diminish it.
  • ittybittyskinny
    Options
    great, thank you! :)
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Excellent questions. I'm sore before and after. I am almost 62, arthritis and been carrying 120 pounds of FAT around for YEARS. So I have a pretty good reason to be sore and it's my fault! (Mostly:smile:). But I get up every morning and push through it! Still It would be a blessing to not feel so much soreness!!.:laugh: I do take celebrex and glucosamine, along with other vitamins and prescriptions.
  • YoSoyFiesta21
    Options
    Stretching after your workout, protein within 45 minutes of completion, and another protein shake prior to going to bed. Stretching the next morning is also helpful.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Stretch.
    Plenty of water.
    A fair amount of teeth-gritting as you work out again.

I remember that sore feeling well. I hurt for 3 solid days after lifting for the first time in Feb. I still get sore now because I push myself hard during every workout, but the pain has become manageable. Sometimes I don't even realize it's there.

Keep at it. It will get better. :flowerforyou:
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Cold Shower!
  • nokuperus
    nokuperus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After a hard work out I take a hot bath with epson salt. you can buy it at walmart and other stores similar. It relaxes your muscles and helps them recover quickly.
    Protein shakes are also good but make sure they are recovery shakes and not meal replacement. they dont have the same benifits in both.
  • ittybittyskinny
    Options
    thank you so much everyone!
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Is it true that you should not take any tylenol or pain relievers for sore muscles? I once heard that and have never really known if it hurts muscle growth.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    After a hard work out I take a hot bath with epson salt. you can buy it at walmart and other stores similar. It relaxes your muscles and helps them recover quickly.
    THIS. I tell ALL my new clients that this is a REQUIREMENT before their first session with me!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, protein immediately after a workout and the occasional epsom salt bath.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt bath... Ibuprofen... warm up your muscles a little (light walking or dynamic stretching) then do slow static stretches till you feel better.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hydrating during the workout properly

Warming down properly

Feed your body with good proteins after a good workout.

And TIME, in time your body will adjust to what you put it through!

Enjoy the pain, shows you have worked your body hard! lol
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've found a magnesium supplement before bed helps with sore muscles and also helps me have a restful sleep.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt bath... Ibuprofen... warm up your muscles a little (light walking or dynamic stretching) then do slow static stretches till you feel better.

I agree, the epsom salt bath helps relax the muscles and the ibuprofen helps reduce muscle inflammation and the feeling of soreness.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've been told to eat spinach. So usually I throw a cup or two into my blender with a protein shake and it really does seem to help. Maybe it's placebo affect, I have no idea.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling after a workout can help a great deal. There are lots of videos on youtube
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/equipment/why-foam-roller-exercises-for-tight-muscles-work.html

I personally use magnesium supplements now and then. There's lots to be read about it online but here's a place to start:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/414092-is-magnesium-good-for-sore-muscles/

And a lot of what others are saying too - proper warmup, stretching, water, hot bath... all that good stuff. :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    exercise