Extreme Makeover, Weight Loss Edition

Options
I keep reading on MFP to eat back your exercise calories or you'll stop loosing weight.

If this is true can someone please explain to me how these folks on Extreme Makeover loose so much weight so fast? I mean these people are obese, over 400 lbs. Chris Powell puts them on a diet/exercise program with a goal to loose 90 lbs in 3 months, and they do. That's a pound a day! 3000 calorie deficit a day!

I'm not advocating that's the way to go, I'm only trying to loose 15 lbs. But, this appears to be contradictory to what is preached on MFP.

Replies

• ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can safely lose up to 1% or something like that of body fat per week. So a person, say 400 pounds, could lose 4 pounds a week completely safe. Also, these people are being strictly monitored
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    These people on the show, work out 4-6 hours a day every day all the time. Their food is also bought for them. As well as they are for the good of television strictly monitored as well When they aren't making the progress they should be they are sent off to a boot cap ( never seen on tv ) and worked hard core to lose more weight...

Also there is questionable documentation out there from previous contestants coming forward saying some of the methods used were not healthy at all like no food or water for a day or two leading up to a weigh in .. Weight loss pills etc etc. .

DO some google'ing and you will see what I am talking about. On that note, I do love the show :)
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Extreme is the key here...this show takes extreme situations and uses extreme methods all watched and monitored even more than the BL. Personally I think that the BL method is far better but long term sucess is still dependant on the person truly changing their life for the long haul. It has been proven that ANYONE can lose weight with extreme measures (fasting, huge deficits in diet to exercise ratio, tons of cardio, surgery, etc, etc, etc,). What you have here on MFP is more long-term lifestyle change. A way to live life to the fullest, healthiest and longest which is also adaptable base on a persons personality and choices. The sucess of everyone on MFP is truly in their own hands and the choices they make going forward. MFP is a tool, not a weight loss program or plan.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    Options
    Extreme is the key here...this show takes extreme situations and uses extreme methods all watched and monitored even more than the BL. Personally I think that the BL method is far better but long term sucess is still dependant on the person truly changing their life for the long haul. It has been proven that ANYONE can lose weight with extreme measures (fasting, huge deficits in diet to exercise ratio, tons of cardio, surgery, etc, etc, etc,). What you have here on MFP is more long-term lifestyle change. A way to live life to the fullest, healthiest and longest which is also adaptable base on a persons personality and choices. The sucess of everyone on MFP is truly in their own hands and the choices they make going forward. MFP is a tool, not a weight loss program or plan.

^^ very well said. Agree.