Question about Soy

Options
Hi. I've heard so many diferent things about soy and females. I like to eat edaname (soybeans) and firm tofu when we go out to eat. I'd like to start incorporating them into my weekly diet at home. But I'm confused because I've heard many conflicting reports about how soy isn't good for females. Can someone clear up this confusion for me? TIA. :smile:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific undesirable effect of soy that you're concerned about?
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've used soy products for almost 9 years. I'm sensitive to dairy and can't eat too much of it which stinks because I love cheese. I've not had any problems or health concerns. I have seen a few articles that link soy to infertility, but I'm not certain it has been medically proven. I'd google it and see what you can find.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    There is Soy in alot of things we eat and drink... From my understanding. Women fear the possible issues with pregnancy. If this is your concern, and you drink protein shakes, then steer away from any soy based. The amount you get from food and drinks from regular food isn't likely to harm you.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify: I'm done having kids, I'm not menopausal and I'm not lactose intolerant. I've heard that too much soy can be detrimental to women leading up to menopause. It's just there's a lot of conflicting reports - some say, the more the better while others say you should steer clear.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Decent article about possible side effects of too much soy:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/414593-the-side-effects-of-too-much-soy-milk/

Everything is "potentially" and "possibly," in there, which leads me to believe that nothing has been figured out conclusively yet. I think as long as it's in moderation, you're probably fine? I don't consume much soy myself, but that's because I'm an avid omnivore, so I get all the nutrients that soy would provide through meat and dairy. Good luck!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Decent article about possible side effects of too much soy:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/414593-the-side-effects-of-too-much-soy-milk/

Everything is "potentially" and "possibly," in there, which leads me to believe that nothing has been figured out conclusively yet. I think as long as it's in moderation, you're probably fine? I don't consume much soy myself, but that's because I'm an avid omnivore, so I get all the nutrients that soy would provide through meat and dairy. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the link! I will definitely check this out. That's what I thought too, in moderation...like everything else.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I actively seek out soy products precisely because it can mimic the effects of estrogen and so can ease the symptoms of menopause. I've read more articles which say its not good for men to have too much soy, because of the same thing.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My mother had breast cancer and her doctor told her that she is a "soy sensitive" and that she has to remove all soy from her diet so the cancer doesn't come back. I guess not everyone has this problem, but it's not a risk I am willing to take. You wouldn't know you are until it's too late.
  • CaitlinedB
    CaitlinedB Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you use only Non-GMO soy product. I personally think less potential for side effects down the line. IMO