Calorie portions

Options
Not sure if thats the right heading but I am wondering if it is important how you split your calories between brekky, lunch and dinner. Should you have more for breakfast then less for lunch and then less for dinner? My allowance is just under 2000 cal a day, should it be assigned proportionately?

Someone said to me one to eat like a king for breakfast, like a lord (or something) for lunch and like peasant for dinner. Are there any guidelines concerning this?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I tend to turn that on its head. Breakfast like a pauper, lunch like a prince, king like a dinner. That said, I just prefer to graze throughout the day and slowly watch the calories approach my target. What ever you do, you don't want to end up using up all your calories by 6pm and wondering what to eat when it's 9pm.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's only important for how it makes you feel. Do what is comfortable for your own body.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Different cultures do different things with meals. Germans have tiny breakfasts, huge lunches and small dinners. French people eat small meals throughout the day. I think you should eat what you want when you want and when it's convenient to you and your life style. Personally 90% of the time I have just a bowl of cereal for breakfast a light-ish lunch and a huge dinner because I find myself starving at bedtime if I don't. I also include snacks throughout the day to keep me going like apples or cheese.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I think it is mostly how you feel. I tend to eat a larger breakfast, medium lunch, and a medium to large dinner. Recently I have been eating a large breakfast, light lunch and medium dinner.

There has been several articles I've read where dinner should be your smallest meal but I tend to workout after work and am quite hungry then at dinner.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn the real truth about DIETS, CALORIES, CALORIE PORTIONS and CALORIES BURNED invest in this. I gain nothing by it, but I am passionate about other people finding the same success I did and learning all the myths floating about in the diet industry that is designed to keep getting your money over and over.

--- > http://www.anythinggoesdiet.com/no-diet-rules-allowed.php

(This is NOT about eating junk food! It's about learning to eat for you own lifestyle, vegan, organic, whatever)

My story here- - -> http://www.venusindex.com/roberta-saums-venus-index-transformation/

Others who followed his advice, ALL SUCCESSFUL --> http://www.venusindex.com/transformation-contest/

It costs nothing to read and listen to their interviews and its fun because they are real like you and I.

Men---> http://www.adonisindex.com/

And many of us use MFP.
  • 23Brandy
    23Brandy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find I have to save some calories for after dinner snacks.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Not sure if thats the right heading but I am wondering if it is important how you split your calories between brekky, lunch and dinner. Should you have more for breakfast then less for lunch and then less for dinner? My allowance is just under 2000 cal a day, should it be assigned proportionately?

Someone said to me one to eat like a king for breakfast, like a lord (or something) for lunch and like peasant for dinner. Are there any guidelines concerning this?
    Do what works for you, I eat 6 times a day because it works for me, others who've lost a shedload of weight eat only twice a day,
    Go by what works for you.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I doubt it really makes a difference. I tend to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals. I find that it's better for me this way because I don't overeat. I used to have a tiny breakfast (or nothing), a gigantic takeout lunch at work, then a gigantic dinner at like 9pm. No more! I usually have meals of 200-300 calories every few hours/as time allows.
  • Stacey3981
    Options
    In order to get your body to burn the calories you take in, rather than store them as fat, it's best to eat 6 small meals a day. To keep insulin levels steady, you should aim for 200-400 calories per meal, depending on your daily goal, and try to include some protein with each meal. This keeps your metabolism in "burn mode" and keeps your energy up all day long.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    In order to get your body to burn the calories you take in, rather than store them as fat, it's best to eat 6 small meals a day. To keep insulin levels steady, you should aim for 200-400 calories per meal, depending on your daily goal, and try to include some protein with each meal. This keeps your metabolism in "burn mode" and keeps your energy up all day long.

Thanks for posting this. I don't like to eat a lot at one time so this works great for me. It is good to know that this helps.

Candie
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Science will say it doesn't matter how you portion them...

my experience says that smaller meals throughout the day help me keep my belly full of more healthy foods like lean proteins and high fiber fruits and veggies.

No way I'm getting all my calories from goods foods if it's from 1 or 2 sittings.