COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS... NOW THAT YOUR TEAMS HAVE PLAYED

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Thoughts?

I love our defense for the most part. Quite concerned about our offense. Basically the usual feelings for a fan of my team.

Watching all the games I had, I would probably place Bama right ahead of USC. A lot of teams it seemed from watching the games, had a case of the "first game blues" which made it quite clear why teams usually try to schedule "gimme" games for the opener.

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    The opponent wasn't a "gimmie" but clearly not on the same level, so everything probably looked better than they actually were.

The offense looked good...it was very efficient. But that was to be expected with so many returning starters. My main concern going in was the defense because there is a new coordinator and a new scheme, and new players. They looked okay, not great. I would have liked a little more QB pressure. But, with an off week upcoming and a "gimmie" after that - perhapes they can work out some things before starting play in a new conference.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    The opponent wasn't a "gimmie" but clearly not on the same level, so everything probably looked better than they actually were.

The offense looked good...it was very efficient. But that was to be expected with so many returning starters. My main concern going in was the defense because there is a new coordinator and a new scheme, and new players. They looked okay, not great. I would have liked a little more QB pressure. But, with an off week upcoming and a "gimmie" after that - perhapes they can work out some things before starting play in a new conference.

My fiance is a WVU alum, and was really angry when I left out WVU looking great... But honestly I won't be able to say much about the team until they start conference play. While Marshall wasn't a total gimme, it was a game you were supposed to win by atleast a few touchdowns.
    I will say, I wish VT had your offense. It's always SO fun to watch.
  • Well, I probably shouldn't get started on the Kentucky Football team... But yeah, we need to pull something together, we suck. Oh well though, they will always be my team. Loyalty, I say!
  • wolverine66
    Options

My fiance is a WVU alum, and was really angry when I left out WVU looking great... But honestly I won't be able to say much about the team until they start conference play. While Marshall wasn't a total gimme, it was a game you were supposed to win by atleast a few touchdowns.
    I will say, I wish VT had your offense. It's always SO fun to watch.

I agree with that. So much uncertainty for me about the Big XII. I am cautiously optimistic.

Since I went to the game on Saturday, I didn't get to see a lot of the other games. I did get to see Alabama whip an overrated Michigan team, I'm not sure how much stock to put into that win.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    We're actually going to the Big 12 opener, against Baylor! I'm super excited. It will be my first WVU game.
    I keep threatening to show up in my VT jersey.

He says he won't defend me! haha
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm very excited about this season....

RTR!!!
  • wolverine66
    Options
    We're actually going to the Big 12 opener, against Baylor! I'm super excited. It will be my first WVU game.

Nice. I hope you have a great time. Since he's an alum, he probably already knows the ins and outs, but if you guys need any information, i go to most of the games and might be able to help.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually get to watch all of the game... because it didn't start unil 9:30 pm... and I had heard that Fox switched from the college game to highschool highlights not long after I turned it off (at some point in the third quarter)... but it looks like we have a 4th quarter team and I don't know how I feel about that... all I do know is they better have beat UTEP or I would have no hope for them this season... at all.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As OU alum and been in Big 12 country for most of my life (Southwest Conference before that and so on and so forth)... I really don't get why WVU is a part of the conference... I don't know how well they play as I have never really paid attention outside of the conference... but they are so far away... Geographically all this conference mix up just doesn't make sense.... though I am glad TCU is a part of the conference... though I am going to enjoy TAMU get their butt whipped in the SEC...
  • glengiles
    Options
    didn't see the game, I was at a gig, but we won so that's good.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    NCSU. Go Pack!
    We Sucked! :( got our tails kicked majorly! Better game next time, I hope!
  • Onmynewadventure
    Options
    GO *kitten*!!!! We didn't play that well but we never do the first few games. Hoping Connor Shaw will be back 100%
  • wolverine66
    Options
    As OU alum and been in Big 12 country for most of my life (Southwest Conference before that and so on and so forth)... I really don't get why WVU is a part of the conference... I don't know how well they play as I have never really paid attention outside of the conference... but they are so far away... Geographically all this conference mix up just doesn't make sense.... though I am glad TCU is a part of the conference... though I am going to enjoy TAMU get their butt whipped in the SEC...

I'm not entirely sure why the Big 12 invited WVU either. I do know that I am glad they did. You are right about the geographical nature, the started to get a little sketchy when the ACC took in Boston College. And the Big East is inviting pretty much everyone, regardless of where they are. But after Syracuse and Pitt agreed to go to the ACC, the Big East was completely sunk (it started floundering when the ACC took Virginia Tech, Miami and BC), WVU needed a place to go.

People speculated that it would be the SEC or the ACC. The SEC took TAMU, so that pretty much was the end of that. The ACC waffled, and the Big 12 swooped in. I think the Big 12 needed to make a move since it had lost Nebraska, Missouri and TAMU in order to remain a "Super-Conference." So it was timing that lead WVU to the Big 12, and luckily, the Big 12 was able to keep TCU from going to the Big East.
  • greenbox06
    greenbox06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Very surprised that we beat Navy the way we did. Notre Dame has had a problem with Navy the last couple of years. Didn't expect us to score 50. Happy surprise :smile:
  • tship74
    Options
    I was disappointed in NC States performance against UT. I still hold true to my prediction that next season will be there great run.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Longhorns had me worried for a while, but they got the win. Not sure how well they'll do this year, though.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    my team's game got canceled...

oh well, we still landed gameday next week.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    The school I went to for undergrad is usually terrible in football. 2012 is not expected to be different.

I think college should be about academics anyway, not sports teams. When I follow team sports, I am usually following pro teams.

I don't object to anyone following college teams. To each their own. Just not my style. :glasses:
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Well my Gamecocks sucked it up kinda bad, but somehow pulled a win. All, I know, is they better get their *kitten* together or I see ALOT of alcohol in my future...:laugh:
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

don't pay more than face value for a ticket to that one...great seats can be had at the ticket office the day of the game (at worst)...

oops...posting assuming the game is in Waco.