New - Need motivational Friends!

Options
Hi, my name is Jess. I'm from PA and I'm 22 years old. I've been on and off weight watchers and numerous "weight loss pills." The most I weighed was 175, and the least I weighed on my dieting was 135. In the past few months I gained a lot of weight, now at 150. I want to get down to 135 again! I can't believe I let myself eat that way. My husband and I are going on vacation in the end of October and I would like to lose a few pounds by then. I really need some friends who can be motivators.

Replies

• bblich02
    Options
    hey i just sent you a friend request! :) i can help motivate you!!

what are you doing as far as exercise?
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm walking here and there. I would like to get at least a mile a day. I also have a total gym and a few dumbbells. I wish I could start running, but it's always so hot outside (although it should start cooling down) or the fact that I'm just embarrassed to run a little bit and then have to stop and walk because I'm so out of breath.
  • budgerigar
    budgerigar Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Walking breaks when you're first running isn't anything to be ashamed of, there's lots of learn to run programs designed around doing just that! I used a couch to 5k podcast to start running and can't recommend it enough.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Salutations Jess! Welcome to MFP!

My hubby and I are going on a mini-vacation at the end of October too! Althought I've never been on Weight Watchers, I've had my fair share of tracking with pen & paper, exercising, and injuring myself by trying to do too much all at once.

One thing I've found out from my new Chiropractor is that I've probably been walking on an "old sprain" in my right ankle. I was like, "Reeeallly?" Sadly not surprised that my primary care doctor totally dissed that.

So, this time I've started out a bit slower, knowing that I can't start out the gate walking 2 miles a day. At first I started walking for distance...and then I went to distance and speed/time...and finally got a pedometer and realized "gee, I should just walk for time, as the individual steps will work themselves out." It's taken some stress off, even if I'm not dropping the weight as "quick" as I'd like.

Walking in southern heat/"humisery" is a real killer. I've found if I can't get out for a walk early in the morning, then I *have to* get out there at least a hour before the sun is due to set.

Enough of my yammerin', I'm sending you a friend request :wink: I can be pretty good at motivating, 'cheerleading', or kickin' in the butt as necessary :happy:
  • jessmastrilli
    Options
    Thanks LyssaJ1. Yeah, every time I've tried to start running, I ended up injuring myself due to un-level terrain. I'm not very coordinated. So that's usually what deters me from running. So I figured I will just start back with walking since it's fall and it should get cooler out. We're going to Disney for our 2nd time, and last time there was so much walking that my feet hurt. I wasn't used to it at all. I only have 2 more months to get in shape! The trip is definitely a motivator, but sometimes it's nice to track my progress with someone else or ask for other people's advice.

With my support system - its usually my dog because she loves to walk, but not in the heat, so that's why I haven't been walking much lately too. And my husband is pretty good at times. Sometimes I would like for him to come walking with me, but he just doesn't want to. I wish I could help motivate him to get up and be active. He always says how he wants to lose a bunch of weight. I tried helping him with weight watchers, in which he lost about 15 pounds and pretty much maintained it lately. So it's just trying to figure out something that both of us will enjoy too. I don't like feeling alone in this battle of weight.

budgerigar - do you recommend any apps or something for iphones? I use the MapMyRun app to track my speed, distance, and time for walking. That way I can kind of figure out my calories burned. I didn't know if there was anything else out there that actually trained for running?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Anyone can feel free to add me!!!
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!! I will add you and help all that I can!
  • AliMariesDad
    Options
    Welcome! Friend request sent!
  • jessmastrilli
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm up for grabs too. I'll tell you like it is though..no whining around...move it move it move it :) kidding-- I'll cut you a llllllllittle bit of slack :drinker:
  • KLPlatinum
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I have been using MFP for about a month now and I love it. I was also on WW for awhile and just could never get into it especially once they changed the points system. I have managed to loss 7 pounds in the past 3.5 weeks and I credit that to my hard work and the great motivational people on MFP. Sending a friend request your way!
  • tjungkunz
    Options
    Hey! Feel free to add me, I would love to help support you and get the same in return! Going to Disney in mid-October and trying to feel great this time, not frumpy, tired, and embarrassed! LOVE MFP and all the people, GREAT place to help you discover the BEST you :)
  • jessmastrilli
    Options
    karibear 1977 - I just got bored with WW. I was only allowed like 26 points, while my husband was allowed 53 and it just sucked watching him eat ice cream and chips all the time within his points range while I was snacking on some low fat bland popcorn.
  • avaMFP
    Options
    hi, I am new. would you be my friend? :smile:
  • avaMFP
    Options
    I need friends also! care to join me?:smile:
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks LyssaJ1. Yeah, every time I've tried to start running, I ended up injuring myself due to un-level terrain. I'm not very coordinated. So that's usually what deters me from running. So I figured I will just start back with walking since it's fall and it should get cooler out. We're going to Disney for our 2nd time, and last time there was so much walking that my feet hurt. I wasn't used to it at all. I only have 2 more months to get in shape! The trip is definitely a motivator, but sometimes it's nice to track my progress with someone else or ask for other people's advice.

With my support system - its usually my dog because she loves to walk, but not in the heat, so that's why I haven't been walking much lately too. And my husband is pretty good at times. Sometimes I would like for him to come walking with me, but he just doesn't want to. I wish I could help motivate him to get up and be active. He always says how he wants to lose a bunch of weight. I tried helping him with weight watchers, in which he lost about 15 pounds and pretty much maintained it lately. So it's just trying to figure out something that both of us will enjoy too. I don't like feeling alone in this battle of weight.

Sing it, sister! I am sooo uncoordinated, my Wii asks me often "do you find yourself tripping over your own feet?" I'm like, "Duhhh!" :grumble:

As to Disney...I love Epcot, but boy howdy!, did I ever learn that you *have to* wear the right walking shoes. And OY! my back! If Mom and I go to Epcot for her birthday in December, I'm definitely wearing my back brace! (as I now have *good* walking shoes!)

As to the hubby...yeah, I tried to encourage my hubby a few years ago, to walk with me - but he couldn't even make it half my distance, without his calves cramping. Now though, he's lost weight due to some meds that his docs have put him on (he's a Type I diabetic, with a plethora of other un-fun medical issues that come along with the disease as the diabetic gets older...luckily, no neuropathy!)

Eventually, maybe you and the hubby could try tennis? To/for me, it's a glorified game of "fetch" because I suck at returning a serve ~lame chuckle~. :laugh:

Keep up the good fight!

~LyssaJ
  • Hurricanern
    Hurricanern Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI , MY NAME IS DENISE. IN OCTOBER I WILL BE WALKING MY
    SECOND 60 MILE WALK IN 3 DAYS FOR BREAST CANCER. LAST YEAR
    I DID IT BUT I WAS 19 POUNDS LIGHTER!!!! BECAUSE OF MANY THINGS
    GOING ON I HAVEN'T REALLY PREPARED AS I SHOULD HAVE AND HAVE LESS
    THAN 60 DAYS TO DO IT!!!! 60 MILES IS NO JOKE BUT WITH AN EXTRA 19
    IS MUCH HARDER. WALKED 2 MILES LAST NIGHT, I COULD TELL !!!! I WANTED
    TO JUST CALL IT AND DO IT NEXT YEAR, BUT CANCER PATIENTS CAN'T JUST
    DECIDE TO CALL IT AND DO IT NEXT YEAR. IN MEMORY OF MY SISTER AND SO
    MANY CANCER SURVIVORS, I HAVE TO DO THIS WALK AND NEED YOUR HELP!!!
    THANK YOU.
  • Fivefootnowt
    Options
    Hi all, I am Sarah, 50yrs, been on so many diets over the years I've lost count. I am now on the Five:Two diet where you keep within recommended calorie allowance for five days and eat 500 calories for two days, called feast or fast days. I have been on it for one week and have lost 5lbs. Oh, and I'm five foot nothing, hence the username and the picture is an old one!!!
  • jessmastrilli
    Options
    Hi all, I am Sarah, 50yrs, been on so many diets over the years I've lost count. I am now on the Five:Two diet where you keep within recommended calorie allowance for five days and eat 500 calories for two days, called feast or fast days. I have been on it for one week and have lost 5lbs. Oh, and I'm five foot nothing, hence the username and the picture is an old one!!!

I was on various diets like the HCG diet. It was terrible. I was always so tired. After a week of eating barely nothing, I quit and gained it all back within a few days. it was the worst diet I had ever been on. I've always liked Weight Watchers, but recently got kind of tired of it and didn't really have any support system. So I found this site, and it's great for my iphone. I just scan barcodes of food and stuff. So far I'm really like this!
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'd love to help cheer you on (and give you a nudge, if needed)! Sending friend request now. If anyone wants to add me, please feel free to do so!