First Cruise - Tips, Advice, Anything

Options
sarahharmintx
sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
Im leaving Thursday to go on my first cruise. Im a ball of nerves. So much to do and so much to plan for. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice or things to avoid or even funny stories. Maybe something you wish someone had told you before you went on your first trip? Please share!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    1) Pack HALF as much clothes as you think you'll need and TWICE as much money.
    2) Don't bother AT ALL with the ship's shore excursions, they are WAYY over priced and the locals on the island provide a much better tour.
    3) Sometimes it's fine to stay on the boat when the ship docks at port, that is usually the BEST time to hit the pool, buffet, that beach chair you have been eyeing since the start of the cruise.. etc.
    4) IGNORE the cruise snobs, they will try to make your cruise miserable.

I will have to think some more.... Cruising is AWESOME and you WILL become addicted.
  • sarahharmintx
    Options
    1) Pack HALF as much clothes as you think you'll need and TWICE as much money.
    2) Don't bother AT ALL with the ship's shore excursions, they are WAYY over priced and the locals on the island provide a much better tour.
    3) Sometimes it's fine to stay on the boat when the ship docks at port, that is usually the BEST time to hit the pool, buffet, that beach chair you have been eyeing since the start of the cruise.. etc.
    4) IGNORE the cruise snobs, they will try to make your cruise miserable.

I will have to think some more.... Cruising is AWESOME and you WILL become addicted.

Wow. Thanks. I figured the excursions were over priced but didnt think about the clothes. I will have to remember that.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Stay the eff away from the cruise ship doctor.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Have fun

No elevators

Eat all you want
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Just did a Disney Cruise (3rd one) for my DD's 8th birthday. Fun as usual.

First don't pig out. Just cause it's food for 24 hours a day doesn't mean it's a free for all. You'll gain a significant amount of weight if you just eat like there's no tomorrow.
    If you've been exercising, keep exercising. Whether is swimming, running (you can on the decks), hitting the ship's gym, or even just exploring all the decks.
    Agree with the excursions. Just be aware about the time at port. If your excursion cuts it close to departure, the ship will leave you behind.
    Do as much as you can. Look at the schedule, make one and stick to it or else you may miss out on some things you want to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Don't try and do everything, the schedule is very overwhelming and you will burn yourself out.

ETA- Bring a highlighter pen, it helps you keep track of what you want to do on the schedule.
  • sarahharmintx
    Options
    Noted. Thanks. Sounds like you have a scary story though.
  • sarahharmintx
    Options
    Do as much as you can. Look at the schedule, make one and stick to it or else you may miss out on some things you want to do.
    I know the eating will be much different than at home so Im hoping the extra activity will help make up for it. And I'll have to visit the gym. I figured they had one.
  • Shimmerrzz
    Shimmerrzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Comfortable shoes.....check your account on your TV to find out how much you've charged on your ID card....everything goes on that card....have fun!!!
  • Navotc
    Options
    Have been on 12 cruises:

1) Enjoy yourself! Breathe the beautiful sea air. Enjoy the "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" of the water against the hull. Breathe slowly, deeply, and savor the moments.

2) The food and service are astonishingly good. Savor without stuffing yourself, and truly be grateful for each experience and each person who is bringing it to you.

3) Only spend as much as you are comfortable with on anything. (We always use the cruise line shore excursions, which we have found to not be priced much differently than the ones onshore.) We set a budget for how much we're willing to spend on shore excursions and pick whichever ones we like that fit in the total budget. (Also, non-cruise line shore excursions are under no obligation to get you back in time for your ship. If you take a cruise line excursion and it gets delayed, they will hold the ship for you. 'Nuff said.)

4) People tend to be happier on vacation. You meet some wonderful people, and you all get to be on vacation together. Life is good! But the happiest people of all are often the people who are working on the ship. It's amazing, considering how hard they work. Get to know them.

5) Give yourself a balance of activity and down time. Do enough that you feel you've experienced some great stuff, but do little enough that you feel rested.

6) You may find yourself hooked on cruising, like we have - leave enough stuff to do for next time so you'll want to come back.

:)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My husband was so sick on our cruise. He said he's suffer through it than pay the price. Holee CRAP!

I agree on the pack half the clothes and twice the money.

We didn't go on any of the excursions, because of the same reason. Way too over priced. But I now wish I had gone on at least one.

My favorite part of the whole cruise was the snorkeling on our beach day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, have fun! We went on our first cruise this year, and here's my top tips.

1. Plan your packing - there will probabaly be little room to store your suitcase, so a soft bodied case can be easier to store. Take one pair of comfy shoes for walking in, one pair of flip-flops or crocs, and one pair of evening shoes. Floaty wraps and sarongs are very versatile!

2. Do your own research in advance on the places you are visiting - I picked out one "must do" for each of our stopping off points.

3. Don't shy away from the shore excursions - yes they're expensive but sometimes they get you to places you wouldn't otherwise have been able to go. Plus the boat will wait for you if you are delayed returning. We did one excursion, on the day that we were in
    a) a place that styled itself "gateway to..." somewhere else, always a giveaway!
    b) was just a big port, not really touristy in ots own right, and
    c) we were there on a Sunday (this was in the Mediterranean) so lots of places were closed.
    We felt it was definitely worth doing, even just the once.

4. Pack your trainers, there'll probably be gym equipment available.

5. Make sure you have in your hand luggage a change of clothes including swimsuit - it may take some time for your main bags to get to your cabin, and you'll want to be swanning by the pool ASAP!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Noted. Thanks. Sounds like you have a scary story though.
    haha yes I do!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on a "cruise" but I've done scuba from a live-aboard. I get seasick.

Sure you can get the patches or bonine or dramamine but they make you dehydrated and thirsty.

Go to your local CVS (etc) and see if they offer Ginger Gum. If not, try to find Ginger capsules or Ginger Tea. GREAT for motion sickness.

(We also took some ginger gum to Disney World and it was a life saver for all of us).

Works quickly and is natural, so no crazy side effects.
  • sarahharmintx
    Options
    I haven't been on a "cruise" but I've done scuba from a live-aboard. I get seasick.

Sure you can get the patches or bonine or dramamine but they make you dehydrated and thirsty.

Go to your local CVS (etc) and see if they offer Ginger Gum. If not, try to find Ginger capsules or Ginger Tea. GREAT for motion sickness.

(We also took some ginger gum to Disney World and it was a life saver for all of us).

Works quickly and is natural, so no crazy side effects.

Thanks for this. My 7 year old daughter is going and I was worried about her getting sea sick. I'll have to look for this.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    And most importantly - have a wonderful relaxing time and enjoy yourselves!!! :happy:
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me (not gym inclined), then avoid the elevators and do the stairs every time you go up or down a few levels. I didn't gain or lose weight on the Greek islands cruise I did last year and that's mainly because I chose to do the incidental extras rather than going to the gym. I drank a lot, ate what I felt like, but I made up for it by dancing every night on the disco level (level 10) and only walking the stairs (my room was on level 4).

My legs and butt were sore, but damn they felt toned after doing the stairs for 9 days.
  • jonbobfrog
    Options
    If you have a room without a window/port hole/balcony/etc, take an alarm clock. In your room it will feel like night all the time and it's very disorienting to wake up and have no idea what time it is.

(Incidentally, my bf has blackout curtains in his room that do the same thing and I HATE them!)
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    OH you will love it, and your daughter will LOVE the kids club, our kids always love the kids club.

Just relax and enjoy it! So much to do so much fun!