Flaxseed Oil vs. Flaxseed Meal..Is there a difference?

Options
I've heard a lot about taking a TBSP of Flaxseed Oil everyday for weight training / fitness. I don't do oil but do sprinkle a TBSP of Ground Flaxseed Meal in my cereal every morning. Is that the same thing? Am I missing anything by not having oil?

Replies

• dickymint678
    dickymint678 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question directly however, you can get Flax Seed Oil in soft gel capsules.

I use a brand "Finest Natural" they contain 1000mg of the oil, they are easy to swallow and don't have any real taste - just don't bite! These are on the database.

I do also dress my food with oil and can drink a spoonful if needed but the capsules are so easy.

Good luck.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was going to a Naturopath for awhile for adrenal issues, and she said that you need the oil or capsule to get benefits from flax seed over the meal... but again, that's just her medical opinion. I know there's enough out there that says opposite.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Freshly ground flaxseed not only gives you the oil but is a great filler and a great source of fiber. When you are eating a calorie deficit it becomes a miracle food in terms of helping you feel full.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed - put it on my cereal.

Looking them up on the food database the first main difference I can see is the fibre content.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    if you can stomach the meal, it has other added benefits such as fiber and nutrients that the oil won't necessarily have.

It also has more calories total, but I would say it is better if it fits your macros.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about Flax you're getting a different set of health benefits by using the seed. (more fiber too). I would stick to the seeds or the meal.

Also, check out Chia seeds. The healthfood store near my work said they are now selling more chia seeds than flax seeds.
  • janine73holland
    janine73holland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I put flaxseeds in my smoothies.
    My personal opinion is the oil is only part of the flaxseeds so only part of the goodness.
    I would opt for the seeds :-)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but I have heard that the Flaxseed Meal is better for you in terms of fiber for sure...I use 1-2 tbsps in my oatmeal each morning...I take enough supplements without having to add more pills into the mix but that's just me. I think what you are doing is the best way b/c most take the capsules so they don't have to eat the meal but as you probably know getting any supplement in its purest form is the best way b/c you get the most nutrients from it. :happy:
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but I have heard that the Flaxseed Meal is better for you in terms of fiber for sure...I use 1-2 tbsps in my oatmeal each morning...I take enough supplements without having to add more pills into the mix but that's just me. I think what you are doing is the best way b/c most take the capsules so they don't have to eat the meal but as you probably know getting any supplement in its purest form is the best way b/c you get the most nutrients from it. :happy:

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your opinion. I like the flaxseed meal. It adds a real nice nutty flavor to my cereals. All of you are right, there is conflicting info out there. I assumed that the seed was better cause it was the whole thing vs. the oil but just wasn't sure.
  • enid42
    enid42 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed meal has the oil pressed out of it. So you are getting the health benefit of the lignans (fiber) but not very much, if any, of the omega 3's. Ground flaxseed has the naturally occurring omega 3's and the lignans but is not as shelf stable as the flaxseed meal. The flaxseed oil has the omega 3's and none of the benefits of the lignans.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I believe the seed is the whole deal and better than the oil.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It is better to grind them yourself vs. use the meal. This will give you the freshest results. The oils are fairly dry if you buy the pre-ground ones. Taking the oil can frequently work as a laxative which may or may not be a good thing depending on what your body is like. You can use ground flax seeds in your cooking as an egg substitute.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I mix ground cocoa and berries milled flax in with my quark and peanut flour dessert each night.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Just remember to grind the flax seeds. If you don't they will pass right through you and do absolutely no good.