30 Day Shred Questions

Options
Hello everyone!

I just started the 30 day shred today and I had a few questions for those of you who have done it at some point:

1) Do you take one "Rest" day a week?
2) What do you list it as on your exercise journal here? Or is it something you just put your weight in and the minutes you did the activity? If you have a HRM, have you found that the number of calories MFP says you burn is accurate?
3) Do you incorporate any other activity during the day while you're doing the 30 DS as well?

Thank you for any tips, suggestions, and responses!

Replies

• alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I didn't take a "rest day" at all... I have 4 more days to be done with the 30 ds... then I will start the ripped in 30... I list it as "calistenics Vigoris/ push ups/ sit ups......

I didn't do anything but the 30 ds.... But I did see results. I love it...... The scale hasn't moved at all but the way my body looks is MUCH MUCH different lol...

Hope this helps!!!!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS back in March. I loved it.

I did take a rest day, I also played beach volleyball on a city league. So on those days, I typcially did not do the 30DS.

I didn't have an HRM back then (although I wish I did), so I logged it as Circuit Training.

Besides the 30DS, I played Volleyball, walked everyday and occasionally took Zumba Class (about 1 a week).

Hope that this helps!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I took rest days. Log it as "circuit training". The first time through I wasn't doing any other workouts. But after I was done I would occasionally throw this one into the rotation of other ones I was doing. And when I slacked off for awhile, I went back and did Levels 1 and 3 again to get me back in the groove.
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week, and use 30DS as a supplement in the afternoons - so yes, one rest day.

I am on level 1, soon to transition, and right now my Polar FT60 says I burn about 170-180 calories.
  • MelodySanchez
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!
  • sirrys
    sirrys Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am starting the 30 day shred today before I transition to weights and Insanity.

1) I will give myself 30-days off for my body to recover. You can find your self slowing down in progress at various points without a definitive rest pint. But that is just me.
    2) I will log it in as high impact aerobics.
    3) I include light dumbbell training and 2 miles a day walking during lunch
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I did not take a rest day when I first did 30 Day Shred, it's a fast effective workout, great at toning (I lost inches), although I didn't lose pounds from it. Looking back, I probably would do a rest day, although I might do something like yoga (if I'm feeling sore) or cardio on that rest day. In the workout, you only have 3 sets of 2 minutes of cardio - plus a bit in the warmup. That isn't much.

At the time, I didn't have a heart rate monitor, and I was logging it as circuit training which totaled about 300cals. Now that I have a HRM and have tried out the workouts, it shows me burning about 180cals a level, so I would say logging it as calisthenics, or investing in a HRM would be wise - circuit training probably is not the best choice for logging this one (you shouldn't stall or gain weight because even logging it as circuit you should still be in a deficit).

Reading this over, it sounds like I'm being negative, but I'm NOT. This is a great program, and I owe my actually making a dent in my physical ability to completing 30 Day Shred.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I just did a 20 minute fast run (trying to get my speed up for my next 10k) BEFORE doing the shred...bad idea! If you're going to do any extra cardio, I'd recommend doing it afterwards, much easier!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Its Circuit Training.
  • imalexgirl
    Options
    I don't know what the 30 day shred is...can someone explain it to me, please?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I just started the 30 day shred today and I had a few questions for those of you who have done it at some point:

2) What do you list it as on your exercise journal here? Or is it something you just put your weight in and the minutes you did the activity? If you have a HRM, have you found that the number of calories MFP says you burn is accurate?
    3) Do you incorporate any other activity during the day while you're doing the 30 DS as well?

1) PLease take a rest day. JM has stated that this program is NOT meant to be done veryday and doing so is putting yourself at risk for injury. Research all the people who have had knee problems/injuries with 30DS. I use it on days when I don't do my cardio and see results just fine. I was doing it 3-4 days a week and it still worked.

2) Circuit Training. Best estimate.

3) I walked most days for 30-60 mins and did 30 DS on my days off from walking. About 3-4 times a week.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I took 1 rest day a week. I logged it as circuit training and it def. jumpstarted everything for me. I lost 5 pounds and 5.5 inches. I did do some walking and light jogging as well as a cardio workout (Turbo Jam) here and there. It's a great workout. At the end I went back and tried the first 2 weeks to see if I got stronger and it amazed me how easy they were. I just finished up RI30 which is more intense and am now moving on to P90X. Good Luck!!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am beginning 30DS today. I've done it before and liked it.

I also run. I plan on getting 20 min a day of exercise of some sort, though I may take a rest day per week from 30DS.

I found a calculation of 1.11 cals per pound you weigh, so I created my own exercise and logged it that way. Logging it as "circuit training" seemed a little inflated.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info....bump
    I am starting Thursday!!!
  • smichelus622
    smichelus622 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am about to start the 30DS tomorrow. Its my gift to myself since for once all my kids will be in school at the same time. Not to happy how everyone is saying the scale doesn't move. i want the inches too but i was hoping this would kick start me in moving the scale before it goes out the window. I been at the same 2 pounds for over 6 weeks now i loose and gain them back or just stay where i am. It truely has been a trying last few weeks.
  • anaju61
    anaju61 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do all three levels on the same day and love it. I use a HRM for calories burn which is usually between 400 and 450 calories for 72 minutes.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I am about to start the 30DS tomorrow. Its my gift to myself since for once all my kids will be in school at the same time. Not to happy how everyone is saying the scale doesn't move. i want the inches too but i was hoping this would kick start me in moving the scale before it goes out the window. I been at the same 2 pounds for over 6 weeks now i loose and gain them back or just stay where i am. It truely has been a trying last few weeks.

Inches lost and physical ability gains will eventually = pounds moving :) I would recommend just not weighing until about a week after you finish 30DS, since once you've increased your endurance, strength, etc from doing the program you will notice pounds practically melting off (as long as you stay active!) :) But, if you weigh yourself during and see a pound up (say you're retaining water for muscle repair or something) you will become discouraged, which would be detrimental to overall success. Do the program, you won't regret it :)
  • terrygran
    Options
    I did 30DS and C25K on alternate days. Great work and not overly sore!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Hi! Just finished it Aug. 31! Doing Ripped in 30 now.
    1. Yes I took one rest day per week (usually sunday)
    2. I put it as 20 minutes of circuit training due to what other people on MFP did. I didn't have an HRM.
    3. Sometimes. I ran 3 miles once or twice a week, went for an easy bike ride once a week I think, and walked my dog 3-4 days a week.

I loved it and had great success with it. Only lost 4lbs but lost tons of inches and really toned up. With Ripped in 30 I'm using 5lb weights (I used 3lb during all of 30DS because I didn't think I could handle 5lb). When I finish this, I'm starting P90X on Oct. 1! Even though we use light weights for Jillian stuff, I still feel like it's a great intro into strength training (especially for me, who has NEVER lifted a weight!)

Good luck!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    1st time i did it i went all the way through, no rests. i used my HRM and actually added in as my exercise and called it 30DS-HRM

i just started it again today for a second time and I'll be doing it whenever I dont go for my run and also have one complete rest day a week.

i had great results the first time I did it so I figured these last pesky lbs might need it again with the mix up of my running. Good luck!!