Just a little sharing...(?)

Options
Hi all!

I'm having a nice day off from dieting, having a couple of beers and feeling good. I have some spare time (luxury with my 3- and 5-year old girls =D) so I thought I'd post a topic here.

I'm fairly new to MFP. I started maybe 3 weeks back, had a little break and have logged in for 6 continuous days now I think. Hah..don't u love the way MFP keeps track of that too? =)

Anyhow...I'm 40 years old, young at heart and mind..trying to lose the weight I've put on during a period of maybe 6 years.

I'm a "big girl" I guess. I'm 183 cm (6feet) tall and right now I weigh 105 kgs (231lbs). I'm fat. I realize that =D The least I've ever weighed in my life was maybe 15 years ago when i was 79kgs (174lbs).

This is going nowhere is it? I see that =D

Ok..in the past I've tried just about every diet possible. WW, cabbage soup diet, white wine+egg diet, Atkins, colour diet, Jenny Craig...etc..the list goes on. About a month ago I found Cambridge Weight Plan. Wow that's one hard diet...but I guess it works. In a month (taking a break too) I've lost a total of 9.7kg (21.3lbs) today!! Yay me!!

Because it's so hard (on body and mind) I'm taking another break today ...maybe a couple of days..then start again with new motivation. For those not familiar to CWP, please google it and u'll find out. (that's if ur interested enough by my babbling post). It's a Very Low Calorie Diet, some call it starvation diet. I get about 420 calories a day in the form of liquid shakes. That's what they teach us right? In order to lose weight u must consume fewer calories than u spend. Well I got that one covered =D

What I'm getting to is that this is a hard diet. And because it's so contradictious as most people seem to think is Satan's best invention, it's also very lonely. I only have a handful of friends in here, and even those people don't accept the diet. Some people in here will not accept a f/r because I'm consuming too few calories. I understand we're looking for a better and healthier way of life here, but I want to lose my fat right now! When I'm young enough to enjoy my life, go out and have fun, feel good about myself and enjoy life with my kids. I'm not looking to be at my goal by the time I'm 56. I want it right now and that's why I chose this. I...myself...chose this.

I don't usually eat unhealthy. I'll have hamburgers maybe once or twice a year. I don't drink sodas, eat lots of candy/choc/ice-cream/chips. I love bread though. I'll eat it in almost any shake or form =) That's my Achilles' heel.

To wrap things up...(yes finally)..I'm lonely with my diet. I'm doing this all by myself. My hubby tries to give me the occasional "wtg"'s and stuff but I'm very alone. So...if possible..I'm looking for a couple of "you can do it" and "you're not alone" here. Even if my way struggles with everything u believe in. 'Cause even people using the most outrageous ways to get to their goal need some motivation. =)

So all of you on your healthy lives, on your way there or finding your way. Be open to us misfits that have taken a different way too. =)

I'm wishing you all the best in your journeys! =)

Replies

• poppiupau
    Options
    Please don't say I alienated everyone =D
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this. But you cannot make a lifestyle change with very low calorie diets. And that's why most of us are here, to improve our lifestyle through better eating and more activity.
  • poppiupau
    Options
    I understand that. I'm gonna try better eating when I reach my goal. Would be awesome =) As of course I'm trying to also maintain the loss =)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I understand that. I'm gonna try better eating when I reach my goal. Would be awesome =) As of course I'm trying to also maintain the loss =)

Why not start now? Or use the CWP as a catalyst, and then make the change?
  • poppiupau
    Options
    That's what I'm doing!! =)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Okay so let's say you do this diet for 6 months. Why wouldn't you just eat regular amounts of food and lose weight anyhow? You could probably eat 1500 and still be good. If you don't change your habits its not changing your relationship with food. An example is people who do gastric or lapband and regain weight. Its a temporary fix that doesn't change your relationship with food, just forces you to eat less for a period of time.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It looks like the diet you've chosen keeps you below 500 calories per day. You get 1 shake, 3 times a day. Aside from the health issues involved in eating a fraction of your BMR I'd feel like I wasn't really eating food. (I don't know if exersise is part of the program too)I think this is the reason you may find it hard to find people who will join you (sharing?).

I wish you luck and if you stick with the diet you'll loose weight but you'll be straining your body when it's not necessary. You also will have to learn to eat in a way that doesn't just bring you back up to where you started and your body will surly want to go back to where you started.

Take some time to read how this site suggests going about weight loss. Do the calulations and establish your BMR and TDEE then base your diet on those numbers and your calories burned doing exercise.

The shakes your drinking are high protien and low cal so use those as suplements.

Sorry but I think your diet is setting you up to fail. (But I'm just a bozo on the web)

Best of luck and stay healthy.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    a lot of people have had negative effects after the surgeries. sometimes even fallen into a depression, because their relationship with food was having to be changed completely.

I lost over 40 lbs before in less than a year, but I deprived myself of foods that I loved! And as soon as I got a little out of control, I lost all control and ended up gaining back 50. It's important for us to learn to enjoy certain things we love with moderation and control. This diet that you're following just doesn't seem safe, but I do wish you the best.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck, but I don't see how what you are doing is sustainable. At some point you will have to go back to eating regular food. (Right?) Of course you have lost a ton of weight in a short amount of time -- you are starving yourself.

You say you've tried "every diet possible." Have you ever tried simply cutting back on your calories, eating healthy, and moving more? You can't view this as a "diet" if you want to succeed. (And you can't hope for overnight success.) You have to change your way of eating and living so that you don't have to "take a break from dieting" to eat a Big Mac every now and then. It is difficult at first to change your entire way of looking at food, but if you do it long enough, you get used to it, and it becomes a part of you. That is how you maintain a weight loss. You aren't addressing the underlying problem by doing a crash diet, and at the end of the day, will likely gain it all back. This is why many people on this site don't support very low calorie diets. Not only are they unhealthy, but they simply are not sustainable.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    As far as I know the Cambridge diet does include quite a bit of vitamins and other stuff you need in the 500 cals. So it's really not that bad for you as some people on here seem to think. Sure eating below BMR isn't the healthiest option, but it's definitely faster than eating 1500 kcal a day.

I think the reason why you can't find many friends on here that do the same type of diet is because it requires no calorie counting. Sure you can enter the 3 shakes a day, but in the end, you'll be doing 3 shakes everyday for quite some time. That means there's not really a reason to track your calorie intake. Maybe it'll help your motivation if you find a specific forum for people doing that diet? They'd likely more appreciative of the problems you're facing and not bothered with the low calorie intake.

---
    For me personally eating nice things is part of the life that I want right now. And so is a healthier weight. That's why I'm opting for balance between the two.
  • bhfood
    Options
    hi, your post just made me almost cry. I understand the loneliness. None of my friends are trying to lose. I'm kinda isolated myself but I'm working it. I have made quite a few friends here in cyberspace on mfp. I would love to be your friend. I understand your desperation. As a nurse I would advise after you lose a few more lbs not too many you should consult with a doctor and get on some kind of monitoring weigh in and ck on your health with them. k. as my mom used to say "enough said."